Fifty345
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Using this text, could you help me with this question below:

He always loved the turning from the lanes of Jericho out on to St Giles. It was an invisible
boundary between the quiet domestic world where he was a loving husband and the
University where he was a watchman at the college gates. Every time he trod this path he
would reflect how the change in the streets echoed the differences between his worlds.
The roads of Jericho twisted in upon themselves, and a man could get easily lost. It was
sometimes thus when he was sitting by the fireside with his wife. The conversation would ebb
and flow between them, full of affection, and talk of the daughter that was blossoming in her
belly. But there were times when there were shadowed corners in their speech, when a thing
might not mean to Eleanor what it meant to him, and he would feel that he had taken a wrong
turning down a dark alley, and was sitting in a room that seemed in outwards appearance to
be his home, but was not.
Whereas when he emerged on to the University streets, there stood the broad walls of the
colleges, set shoulder to shoulder, their domes, spires and battlements pointing magnificently
towards the heavens. And here William knew exactly who he was: he was Porter Jones,
warden of the nights, the man who watched over great minds as they slumbered. Here
William had a place and a function, and no one could shift him from it.

Explore how the writer uses language and structure to present the different feelings William Jones
has about where he lives and where he works.
theprettyrainbow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you need like an essay plan or just general help?
You could focus on the relationship with his wife and the conflicting feelings shown between the conversations "full of affection" and the "shadowed corners" to highlight the turbulence that marriage is focusing on happiness and then frustrations that arise from arguments. Then you could talk about the feelings he has towards his job, the sense of self that is defined by his job "William knew exactly who he was" and maybe the sense of constancy that comes with his job (his feelings of responsibility never change throughout the passage). You can explore the juxtaposition between "loving husband" and "watchman at the college gates" and the contrast between the domestic and the workplace.
There's loads more but this just to start you off
Last edited by theprettyrainbow; 1 year ago
Fifty345
Rep:
?
(Original post by theprettyrainbow)
Do you need like an essay plan or just general help?
You could focus on the relationship with his wife and the conflicting feelings shown between the conversations "full of affection" and the "shadowed corners" to highlight the turbulence that marriage is focusing on happiness and then frustrations that arise from arguments. Then you could talk about the feelings he has towards his job, the sense of self that is defined by his job "William knew exactly who he was" and maybe the sense of constancy that comes with his job (his feelings of responsibility never change throughout the passage). You can explore the juxtaposition between "loving husband" and "watchman at the college gates" and the contrast between the domestic and the workplace.
There's loads more but this just to start you off
In the paragraph where it talks about the shadowed corners and full of affection, what language and structure can I mention.

Cheers
theprettyrainbow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the metaphor "shadowed corners"
syndetic listing "domes, spires and battlements"
nouns "place" and "functions"
personification "the roads of jericho twisted in upon themselves"
colour imagery "dark"
metaphor "blossoming in her belly"
asyndetic list "he was Porter Jones, warden of the nights, the man who watched over great minds as they slumbered."
Juxtaposition of "home" and "room"
Fifty345
Rep:
?
colour imagery "dark"
asyndetic list "he was Porter Jones, warden of the nights, the man who watched over great minds as they slumbered."
hi thanks a lot, but is 'the roads of jericho twisted' actually personification?
theprettyrainbow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes it is because it is being attributed human-like qualities i.e the will to twist itself into different shapes
Fifty345
Rep:
?
Yes it is because it is being attributed human-like qualities i.e the will to twist itself into different shapes
Thank you so much!
Fifty345
Rep:
?
colour imagery "dark"
also, for the asyndetic list of 'he was porter jones, warden..., could you say its also a tricolon?
theprettyrainbow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it is actually! I never thought of that!
Fifty345
Rep:
?
haha, thank you a ton!!!!!!!!!!
Fifty345
Rep:
?
last thing, would you say he enjoys and feels more comfortable at this workplace, than he does at home?
theprettyrainbow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think that it’s more he feels more stable at his workplace than at home because his work place never changes but his home does when his wife and him are fighting
Fifty345
Rep:
?
I think that it’s more he feels more stable at his workplace than at home because his work place never changes but his home does when his wife and him are fighting
could you say to an extent then that he feels more comfortable at his workplace?
theprettyrainbow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yea you could
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.63%
Uncertainty around my education (195)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (141)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (181)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (57)
4.47%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.65%
Loneliness (112)
8.78%
Financial worries (45)
3.53%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (112)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (117)
9.18%

Watched Threads