Applying for nursing degree with previous ba honours degree

Watch
Hm31191
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,I’m really interested in doing a nursing degree. But my previous studies do not relate at all to nursing. I graduated in BA (hons)interior design in 2016.My question is can I get onto nursing course or would I have to do an access course?Thank you
hxdzz_m
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't know the specifics about the nursing degree, but there's also a nursing apprenticeship available if you are interested in that too
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have an unrelated degree (Politics). I think they are normally keen on you doing an access degree if you haven't studied in the past five years (I have) and if you don't meet the entry requirements, example, I was required to have one science A-Level (I have two) so I didn't need to do an access course but I believe I would have had to if I didn't meet those two things.
musicnurse
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have a degree in music & sound design and accepted my unconditional offer for my mental health nursing degree starting september... it's definitely possible. You'll be able to receive student finance for your nursing degree as well even if it is your second degree. Universities usually require you to have been in education within the last 5 years of your application and some may have additional entry requirements at Level 3, but having an unrelated BA doesn't in itself exclude you from a Nursing degree.
Hm31191
Rep:
?
(Original post by musicnurse)
I have a degree in music & sound design and accepted my unconditional offer for my mental health nursing degree starting september... it's definitely possible. You'll be able to receive student finance for your nursing degree as well even if it is your second degree. Universities usually require you to have been in education within the last 5 years of your application and some may have additional entry requirements at Level 3, but having an unrelated BA doesn't in itself exclude you from a Nursing degree.
Thank you.great to know you got a place on a nursing course. And even better that student finance will fund the course as this was my other worry.
Hm31191
Rep:
?
(Original post by Airfairy)
I have an unrelated degree (Politics). I think they are normally keen on you doing an access degree if you haven't studied in the past five years (I have) and if you don't meet the entry requirements, example, I was required to have one science A-Level (I have two) so I didn't need to do an access course but I believe I would have had to if I didn't meet those two things.
Thank you.
Hm31191
Rep:
?
(Original post by hxdzz_m)
I don't know the specifics about the nursing degree, but there's also a nursing apprenticeship available if you are interested in that too
Thank you. Didn’t know there was nursing apprenticeship, will need to do more research
OnlySonia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hm31191)
Hi,I’m really interested in doing a nursing degree. But my previous studies do not relate at all to nursing. I graduated in BA (hons)interior design in 2016.My question is can I get onto nursing course or would I have to do an access course?Thank you
I just graduated in July 2019 with a BA in Fine Art and have been accepted to Nursing without an access course. 😊
Hm31191
Rep:
?
(Original post by OnlySonia)
I just graduated in July 2019 with a BA in Fine Art and have been accepted to Nursing without an access course. 😊
Congratulations! so hopefully I should be able to apply. Thank you.
ankairo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello there, I just got accepted for the MSc in Adult Nursing Pre - registration at City University of London, which is an accelerated degree which is completed in two years if you have 500 hrs clinical experience(HCA etc) but if you don't you can complete it in 2.5 yrs without the clinical experience, entry requirement was a Bachelor degree of 2:2 and above which can be unrelated and you need 2300 hrs in placement and theory to register onto the nmc to be come a registered nurse so most masters deduct 500-700 hrs off placement and theory by you submitting an assignment and providing proof or work placement.

Unis that offer these types of course

London South bank University
University of West London
University of Birmingham
University of Wolverhampton
Manchester Metropolitan University
University of Greenwhich
Middlesex University
Kingston University
Kings College London

plus many more
Middlesex University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I believe that if you write good personal statement any university will take you. Just show them that you are truly interested in nursing degree. Anakairo gave you great list of universities where you can apply to like KCL, Middlesex, Greenwhich etc. I am sure they will welcome you. Good luck with your application!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (49)
28.49%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.14%
No I am happy with my choice (96)
55.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (13)
7.56%

Watched Threads