cat1234!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
hi there, I'm really interested in psychology and am looking into PBS in Cambridge.i wonder if anyone can give me some advice on if the subject is heavily biology based? and also do you get to study psychopathology as all, as I've have a look at the course structure, clinical psychology doesn't seem to be particularly emphasised in this course.
any advice or personal experience would be helpful thanks.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
There is very little emphasis on clinical psychology in the course at Cambridge; it is focused on psychology as an academic discipline. There is some content in abnormal psychology, as it's required by the BPS for accreditation, but it seems to be the minimum amount. Bear in mind any psychology course will include at least some biological oriented content, as it's part of the BPS accreditation requirements, and the "top" psychology courses are normally much more focused on the scientific principles/experimental psychology content. In the Cambridge course there is a fair bit of more bioscientific content available optionally from the natural sciences psychology papers (versions of which can be taken as options in PBS). They would normally expect you to have some scientific background for those options.
chlojas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey,

I am wanting to apply for PBS too, this year! Are you applying this year?
cat1234!
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by chlojas)
Hey,

I am wanting to apply for PBS too, this year! Are you applying this year?
hey ! yes I am! applying this summer and am slightly concerned about it down to what's going on at the moment in the world!
cat1234!
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
There is very little emphasis on clinical psychology in the course at Cambridge; it is focused on psychology as an academic discipline. There is some content in abnormal psychology, as it's required by the BPS for accreditation, but it seems to be the minimum amount. Bear in mind any psychology course will include at least some biological oriented content, as it's part of the BPS accreditation requirements, and the "top" psychology courses are normally much more focused on the scientific principles/experimental psychology content. In the Cambridge course there is a fair bit of more bioscientific content available optionally from the natural sciences psychology papers (versions of which can be taken as options in PBS). They would normally expect you to have some scientific background for those options.
sure, this actually makes a lot of sense. thank you for all the advice. Would you say that psychology in Oxford is very much the same in terms of course content?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by cat1234!)
sure, this actually makes a lot of sense. thank you for all the advice. Would you say that psychology in Oxford is very much the same in terms of course content?
I think the course there is fairly similar; generally most of the "top ranking" universities have fairly scientifically oriented courses e.g. Oxbridge, UCL, Bath. I would note Bath does include some slightly more "applied" options in final year, but there is similar amount of scientific/academic psychology forming the core backbone of the course as at those other unis. But as above any course will have at least some such content to meet accreditation requirements (and a BPS accredited degree is a requirement to go on to DClinPsy programmes and hence into clinical psychology I believe).

Noodlzzz might be able to give more insight into the content (and context) of the scientific/academic content of a psychology degree, with reference to clinical psychology as a possible goal?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks fro the tag artful_lounger
hi there, I'm really interested in psychology and am looking into PBS in Cambridge.i wonder if anyone can give me some advice on if the subject is heavily biology based? and also do you get to study psychopathology as all, as I've have a look at the course structure, clinical psychology doesn't seem to be particularly emphasised in this course.
any advice or personal experience would be helpful thanks.
Ok a few things:

1) All BPS accredited psych courses are very similar in content - it will be highly biology based because that is what psychology is about! Some chemistry and maths too
2) having said that, Cambridge is quite different to the places (including Oxford) as you study a lot of different papers throughout the 3 years, from education to sociology etc. so you can choose modules that are to your liking
3) having said that too, there is some leniency at places (e.g. UCL) that do 2/3 modules a year outside of psych completely, and 3rd year is pretty flexible
4) in regards to clinical, its only a small part of psychology as a whole thus reflected in 'not much emphasis'. you can choose to do clincal modules and option to do clinical dissertation, the real clinical stuff will be in a masters and more importantly the DClinPsych
cat1234!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Thanks fro the tag artful_lounger

Ok a few things:

1) All BPS accredited psych courses are very similar in content - it will be highly biology based because that is what psychology is about! Some chemistry and maths too
2) having said that, Cambridge is quite different to the places (including Oxford) as you study a lot of dsure,ifferent papers throughout the 3 years, from education to sociology etc. so you can choose modules that are to your liking
3) having said that too, there is some leniency at places (e.g. UCL) that do 2/3 modules a year outside of psych completely, and 3rd year is pretty flexible
4) in regards to clinical, its only a small part of psychology as a whole thus reflected in 'not much emphasis'. you can choose to do clincal modules and option to do clinical dissertation, the real clinical stuff will be in a masters and more importantly the DClinPsych
sure, thank you for all those advice, it's extremely helpful and valued. ill definitely take these into account while considering my future potential uni choice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.53%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.72%

Watched Threads