The Student Room Group

Why would it be a prank? If you hadnt noticed we have a rather big world event going on and the government doesnt know whats happening the next day, never mind several months away. They will make contingency plans for all outcomes. Your other option is to go in 2021 or pray very hard it goes away or invent and test a vaccine that works. There are more important things than whether students can get bladdered on freshers week.

I think that's perfectly feasible. It's optimistic to think that everything will essentially 'back to normal' enough to allow universities to fully start up again by September.
Original post by 999tigger
Why would it be a prank? If you hadnt noticed we have a rather big world event going on and the government doesnt know whats happening the next day, never mind several months away. They will make contingency plans for all outcomes. Your other option is to go in 2021 or pray very hard it goes away or invent and test a vaccine that works. There are more important things than whether students can get bladdered on freshers week.

I think you misunderstood my post, I am not upset because freshers will be cancelled (obviously I would enjoy it and all the other events but I’m not even a first year) my main issue is that there are many degrees for which distance learning just doesn’t work. I can’t imagine how engineers like me, are going to get an accredited degree if we do a big part of our degree with no detriment policies and no access to labs, there are going to be so many students whose qualifications are going to look messy and complicated by stuff like online learning and safety nets.
Original post by Lemon George
I think you misunderstood my post, I am not upset because freshers will be cancelled (obviously I would enjoy it and all the other events but I’m not even a first year) my main issue is that there are many degrees for which distance learning just doesn’t work. I can’t imagine how engineers like me, are going to get an accredited degree if we do a big part of our degree with no detriment policies and no access to labs, there are going to be so many students whose qualifications are going to look messy and complicated by stuff like online learning and safety nets.

I agree, just because there are "bigger" issues doesn't mean we can't be upset? How am I supposed to do a chemistry degree online
Recently I’ve received an offer (MSC 2020) from one of the well-known UK universities.
I am totally confused about what to do next - accept it, pay a deposit and hope that everything gets better and I’ll receive a visa, or avoid this.
Online education via Zoom or Skype at home, that’s not what I want exactly in exchange for paying full education fees.

Can you recommend anything?
Original post by Johnny Utah
Recently I’ve received an offer (MSC 2020) from one of the well-known UK universities.
I am totally confused about what to do next - accept it, pay a deposit and hope that everything gets better and I’ll receive a visa, or avoid this.
Online education via Zoom or Skype at home, that’s not what I want exactly in exchange for paying full education fees.

honestly this is just my opinion but i reckon by October, which is when most unis start, the full lockdown will be over (and universities will be one of the first places to open). And worst case scenario it'll only be one semester online, and the first semester usually isn't overly important anyway, so if it is your dream uni then if i were you i would pay the deposit. How lab- heavy is your degree? If not very, then it will be fine as online classes are still relatively good. just my opinion
Original post by Johnny Utah

I was supposed to start a Fashion Design degree this year. Nothing is working on my favor: I can't do a semester online as I need workshops, machines and labs. I probably also won't be able to get a visa on time.

I am thinking of deferring. I get you, if we are paying the same fees as normal, it shouldn't be for online education. If you are able to wait, I suggest you do. You can do something else in that time. I know a whole year is a lot but believe me, at the end we will be very sad to remember that part of our education went to cr4p because of this.
Original post by paolagmzr
I was supposed to start a Fashion Design degree this year. Nothing is working on my favor: I can't do a semester online as I need workshops, machines and labs. I probably also won't be able to get a visa on time.

I am thinking of deferring. I get you, if we are paying the same fees as normal, it shouldn't be for online education. If you are able to wait, I suggest you do. You can do something else in that time. I know a whole year is a lot but believe me, at the end we will be very sad to remember that part of our education went to cr4p because of this.

The problem with that is next year there will be a lot more international and home students applying because A) there are more 18 year olds next year and B) because of corona a lot of people like you but also home students are deferring. So next year there will be more competition so your places won’t necessarily be guaranteed if you re apply (unless your offer can just be deferred)
Original post by Polinaa
The problem with that is next year there will be a lot more international and home students applying because A) there are more 18 year olds next year and B) because of corona a lot of people like you but also home students are deferring. So next year there will be more competition so your places won’t necessarily be guaranteed if you re apply (unless your offer can just be deferred)

I hope that will be the case for anyone with a pending offer, I believe unis should be a little more flexible to international students as knowing about what to do a month before isn't the best thing and because reapplying from zero will be such a pain.
Original post by paolagmzr
I hope that will be the case for anyone with a pending offer, I believe unis should be a little more flexible to international students as knowing about what to do a month before isn't the best thing and because reapplying from zero will be such a pain.

True. But equally this isn’t the unis fault; it’s an unprecedented situation and they need to do what they need to do to survive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending