Hanci
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hey, im new to this and dont know how it works. i have to compare a novel and film of my choice and have spent the whole week trying to decide. ive narrowed it down to the colour purple as my first text but im unsure what to compare it too. the themes ive been thinking of focusing on how ignorance and tradition influences sexism and racism and female marginalisation. would appreciate anyones thoughts or let me know which books they are thinking of comparing.
Foreverneek
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
'The Color Purple' is a very big text. What do you mean by ignorance? Rather than considering racism and sexism as separate, I would consider how Walker explores intersectional feminism (what it means to be a black woman) which makes race and sex more cohesive. How similar do the text and film have to be? Are you looking at the novel of 'The Color Purple' or the film? Are there texts that are off limits? You could compare to a text that is more of a "middle class, white feminist" take on the world e.g. 'The House of Mirth' by Edith Wharton (as well as a lot of her other books). This text is similar in themes to 'The Great Gatsby'. This could provide an interesting comparison in terms of feminist focus / different "waves" of feminism. In 'The House of Mirth', there is a big focus on social class that is not as apparent in 'The Color Purple'. Female characters across both novels are victims in similar and different ways.
Hanci
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Foreverneek)
'The Color Purple' is a very big text. What do you mean by ignorance? Rather than considering racism and sexism as separate, I would consider how Walker explores intersectional feminism (what it means to be a black woman) which makes race and sex more cohesive. How similar do the text and film have to be? Are you looking at the novel of 'The Color Purple' or the film? Are there texts that are off limits? You could compare to a text that is more of a "middle class, white feminist" take on the world e.g. 'The House of Mirth' by Edith Wharton (as well as a lot of her other books). This text is similar in themes to 'The Great Gatsby'. This could provide an interesting comparison in terms of feminist focus / different "waves" of feminism. In 'The House of Mirth', there is a big focus on social class that is not as apparent in 'The Color Purple'. Female characters across both novels are victims in similar and different ways.
Thanks for your response. I am reviewing 2 different media; one film & one book/play. I have chosen “The colour purple” as film. Was thinking also about Streetcar named Desire and exploring the themes of female isolation & solidarity. Thoughts ? Thanks for your novel suggestion, I will have a look at it.
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi there Hanci, what about 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood for your book / novel? It definitely explores the idea of how patriarchal traditionalism perpetuates sexism, set against a dystopian context. Alternatively, Maya Angelou's 'I Know why the Caged Bird Sings' would pair well with 'The Colour Purple' film, too, given obvious associations to race and gender.

Let me know how else I can help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads