The Student Room Group

My A level Predicament

I wondering which of the two options would be best.
Option A). Psychology,Biology and Criminology
Option B). Chemistry, Biology and Criminology

I want to at University study In the law sector such as Criminology/Forensics. But I’m not sure if Chemistry is entirely needed for me to study What I want to. Plus I’m not really sure if I want to do Chemistry at A level as I did not like it GCSE.

Pls send suggestions. Xxx
Hey there,
It honestly depends on what universities you're aiming for. Psychology is regarded as a soft subject, hence I would recommend option (B) if you're aiming for Oxbridge or a top Russel Brown University. However, if you really despise chemistry, then its better to pick Option (A) as its always better to do something you're passionate about, rather than suffering for 2 years.

Choose the subjects that YOU think that you'd enjoy and that you're inclined to, as you'll be able to achieve higher grades for that. On a side note, you could always do Maths (if u enjoy it) as its a safe option.
Original post by BingoWings15
I wondering which of the two options would be best.
Option A). Psychology,Biology and Criminology
Option B). Chemistry, Biology and Criminology

I want to at University study In the law sector such as Criminology/Forensics. But I’m not sure if Chemistry is entirely needed for me to study What I want to. Plus I’m not really sure if I want to do Chemistry at A level as I did not like it GCSE.

Pls send suggestions. Xxx

If you did not like GCSE chemistry, then you probably would not like A-Level chemistry either. I personally don't see why you would need to study chemistry if you wanted to study criminology/foresnsics or law, however I do see how all of the subjects listed in option A would be useful.

Psychology, Biology and criminology all have crossover topics which you could use to your advantage in studying for your A-level exams. Not only that, but you would gain a good base of knowledge for if you end up studying Criminolgy/Forensics at university.

Overall, I would recommend choosing subjects that you are genuinely interested in/ that relate to what you want to do in the future.

Good luck with everything and don't stress about it! xx
Definitely A because you need high grades for law and you wont be able to get that if you dont like Chemistry. Is criminology an Alevel or btec or another qualification?
Original post by trialsofkay
Hey there,
It honestly depends on what universities you're aiming for. Psychology is regarded as a soft subject, hence I would recommend option (B) if you're aiming for Oxbridge or a top Russel Brown University. However, if you really despise chemistry, then its better to pick Option (A) as its always better to do something you're passionate about, rather than suffering for 2 years.

Choose the subjects that YOU think that you'd enjoy and that you're inclined to, as you'll be able to achieve higher grades for that. On a side note, you could always do Maths (if u enjoy it) as its a safe option.

They got rid of the concept of "soft" subjects so it wouldn't matter if they took psychology. I definitely agree with your other points. I don't know how maths is a safe option though.
Original post by PetitePanda
They got rid of the concept of "soft" subjects so it wouldn't matter if they took psychology. I definitely agree with your other points. I don't know how maths is a safe option though.

Maths is a great facilitating subject and its highly regarded everywhere. It shows that you're a analytical and a great thinker, apparently.
Original post by trialsofkay
Maths is a great facilitating subject and its highly regarded everywhere. It shows that you're a analytical and a great thinker, apparently.

True but I wouldnt see it safe if the person doesn't enjoy it or wasn't good in it but an option that OP should defo think about. I find it safe but my friend doesn't.
Original post by PetitePanda
True but I wouldnt see it safe if the person doesn't enjoy it or wasn't good in it but an option that OP should defo think about. I find it safe but my friend doesn't.

Yeah I totally agree. I myself didn't pick A Level Math as I dont enjoy math. Its best to pick subjects that you're interested in

Quick Reply

Latest