Psychopathology Exam question

Watch this thread
anonymousayyyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Sammy has a phobia of birds. This started when he was three years old. A seagull frightened him when it swooped down and stole his sandwich as he was eating it. Sammy is now eight years old. He is scared when walking to school and is so afraid of birds that he will not play outside. Use your knowledge of the behavioural explanation of phobias to outline how Sammy’s phobia might have developed and how it is maintained. [4 marks]

Could someone help me answer this exam question?
username2646039
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I’ve got no clue in the subject sorry but I’ll give it a try just for you!

I’m guessing Sammy had a traumatising experience when he was younger due to him felt like he was attacked when the bird stole his sandwich and that permanently scared him so he automatically assumes all birds are the same which is why walking to school and playing outside may be a difficulty especially when a bird is in his sight as the memory of what happened has drilled it self into him, which he doesn’t want to experience that again

Gimme my A*
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
https://www.tutor2u.net/psychology/r...-process-model

should be helpful, let me know if I can clarify anything
Claisen
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Classically conditioned to begin with.
There is a phobia circle, I can't remember it. He sees the bird, feels anxiety, seeks to avoid the stimulus (bird) by staying inside, and feels an emotional relief (reward for avoiding the stimulus). Operant conditions reinforce the initial classical conditioning.

Answer above isn't technical enough for marks. You need to link to the theories of psychology. Try and include researcher name / date.
anonymousayyyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Mapleservers)
I’ve got no clue in the subject sorry but I’ll give it a try just for you!

I’m guessing Sammy had a traumatising experience when he was younger due to him felt like he was attacked when the bird stole his sandwich and that permanently scared him so he automatically assumes all birds are the same which is why walking to school and playing outside may be a difficulty especially when a bird is in his sight as the memory of what happened has drilled it self into him, which he doesn’t want to experience that again

Gimme my A*
haha, good considering you have no clue on the subject! but I have to involve conditioned stimuli and unconditioned stimuli etc. However I will combine some of your notes. Thank you!
Ameba
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anonymousayyyy)
Sammy has a phobia of birds. This started when he was three years old. A seagull frightened him when it swooped down and stole his sandwich as he was eating it. Sammy is now eight years old. He is scared when walking to school and is so afraid of birds that he will not play outside. Use your knowledge of the behavioural explanation of phobias to outline how Sammy’s phobia might have developed and how it is maintained. [4 marks]

So the bird is the neutral stimulus. The unconditioned response is fear. When combining those two together, the bird becomes the conditioned stimulus and his conditioned response is fear
Smile135
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anonymousayyyy)

You have to mention classical conditioning and apply this to Sammy and also talk about generalising it to other birds and mention avoidance.

So the seagull was initially the neutral stimulus until it stole Sammy's sandwich which evoked a fear response in Sammy as the 'seagull frightened him.' Sammy associated this negative feeling of fright with the seagull so the seagull became a conditioned stimulus. Sammy also generalises this feeling to other birds as they are similar to seagulls therefore other birds become a conditioned stimulus and fear is the conditioned response. Sammy feels relief when he shows avoidance to all birds as believes he can avoid this negative feeling of fright.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
16.21%
The paper was reasonable (177)
48.63%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
25.27%
It was TERRIBLE (36)
9.89%

Watched Threads