The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy Applicants 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KateD1983
Can’t believe how quickly this year is going. Hope everyone has heard back from their choices and got what they want. I am struggling to choose between BCU and DMU and hoping someone can share how they managed to choose between their choices so I can sort my firm and insurance out. Thank you.

Don't know how much help it will be - but I'm at DMU just finishing my second year and the department have been really really fantastic throughout the whole covid situation and very very supportive. It's a small cohort so everyone really does know everyone and bar one issue - all the staff are fantastic.

The one thing I'd say is check the placement areas if this is a consideration for you - with the patch it covers - it's blooming huge when you factor in counties like Notts and Derbyshire as well (first year was all in the city and doable by public transport when I did those placements - obviously pre-covid and I don't know what they did for placements this year just gone for the first years).
Original post by kuponut
Don't know how much help it will be - but I'm at DMU just finishing my second year and the department have been really really fantastic throughout the whole covid situation and very very supportive. It's a small cohort so everyone really does know everyone and bar one issue - all the staff are fantastic.

The one thing I'd say is check the placement areas if this is a consideration for you - with the patch it covers - it's blooming huge when you factor in counties like Notts and Derbyshire as well (first year was all in the city and doable by public transport when I did those placements - obviously pre-covid and I don't know what they did for placements this year just gone for the first years).

Thank you. The placements is the only thing that worries me. I have childcare that means I can’t be on the road really until 7.40 am. This is fine to get to the uni itself, but I do worry how far away from my home base I will be placed. I’m Warwickshire so I’m really hoping there are some Leicester based or south Leicestershire placements as I’m leaning towards DMU. When in the 1st year did the 1 day a week placements start?
Original post by staticas
OMG guys I could cry!!!
Wasn't expecting any updates over the Easter holidays but just got an email from UCAS and I've been given an interview with MMU on the 15th.
Can anybody give me any tips for interview preparation or information about the structure of it in general?
Hopefully I will see some of you in September!

I didn't apply for MMU but my general advice would be to make sure you know what you put in your personal statement, that you have really researched the subject (both on the uni website and RCSLT) and NHS values. This is what I did anyway, hope it helps! Good luck!
Original post by brokenbiscuits
Huge congrats to you too! I forgot to say this in my initial excitement, sorry :colondollar:

Haha no worries!
Original post by LauraJDee
That’s amazing news!! Massive congratulations xx

Thank you so much!! xx
Reply 585
OMG guys I could cry!!!
Wasn't expecting any updates over the Easter holidays but just got an email from UCAS and I've been given an interview with MMU on the 15th.
Can anybody give me any tips for interview preparation or information about the structure of it in general?
Hopefully I will see some of you in September!

Congrats, MMU was abit different too other ones I had, was only about 15 mins. Just generally know why you want to do SALT and be passionate.
Original post by ele2
Congrats, MMU was abit different too other ones I had, was only about 15 mins. Just generally know why you want to do SALT and be passionate.

Thank you 😊 was it more casual than your others?
Did they give you an offer? Where have you firmed or are you still deciding?
Reply 587
Thank you 😊 was it more casual than your others?
Did they give you an offer? Where have you firmed or are you still deciding?

Yes, very casual, one of my favs! Yes I got an offer and it will most likely be my insurance ☺️
Hi! I’m struggling to choose between Plymouth Marjon and Leeds Beckett - can anyone give me anything that might help me make a decision? 😬
Original post by Student2514
Hi! I’m struggling to choose between Plymouth Marjon and Leeds Beckett - can anyone give me anything that might help me make a decision? 😬

Congrats in your offer from Leeds Beckett!! Is it for MSc or BSc?

I used to live in Plymouth, it’s a lovely place!! Not too big for a city and great to venture down into Cornwall also!

Hi, I also have an offer from Marjon! I don't know much about Leeds Beckett but Marjon looks like it's a great course, especially with the dysphagia training that they're the only ones to offer.
Original post by Clare555
Thankyou this was really helpful!! I am leaning more towards Reading currently. Would you recommend any accommodations for the best student life as there are so many options I’m not sure :smile:

Hey @Clare555,

No problem happy to help whenever! It's great to hear you're leaning towards Reading Uni! In terms of accommodation, I would say really all of them are extremely social. My friends in pharmacy have come from all different halls and have made great friends in each. I lived in Wantage halls which was extremely social, we were opposite St Georges which did tend to have more mature students. But other than that they were all extremely social. I would personally decide based on what your preferences for accommodation are. For example, I wanted to be catered which is why I chose Wantage and I had the time of my life! You'll definitely find your own type of people you enjoy hanging out with!

Hope this has been helpful and please do let me know if you have any questions!😊
From,

Amina
Original post by pinkpionnies104
Congrats in your offer from Leeds Beckett!! Is it for MSc or BSc?

Thank you!! It’s for the BSc :smile:
Original post by RachyB1980
I used to live in Plymouth, it’s a lovely place!! Not too big for a city and great to venture down into Cornwall also!

Thank you! Would you say it’s got a lively town etc for on a night? :smile:
Original post by brokenbiscuits
Hi, I also have an offer from Marjon! I don't know much about Leeds Beckett but Marjon looks like it's a great course, especially with the dysphagia training that they're the only ones to offer.

Congratulations! Yes that’s defiantly something that impressed me!
Congratulations!
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you! Would you say it’s got a lively town etc for on a night? :smile:

Leeds is livelier!! But Plymouth is a nicer place to live imo
Original post by RachyB1980
Leeds is livelier!! But Plymouth is a nicer place to live imo

Thank you!! That’s rlly helpful :smile:
Has anyone heard back from leeds MSc? Had my interview a few weeks ago and heard nothing yet x

Quick Reply

Latest