The Student Room Group

A level subjects helpppp

I am in year 11, or year 12 should i say? Basically in the class of 2020, the year that never made it. Obviously there are no GCSEs anymore but for some reason they are still setting us online work. I very much doubt this work will be used to predict our final grade, so i want to start studying for A level, cus why not?

To start studying i need to know exactly what subjects i am picking.

My possible options are
-History
-Psychology
-Religious Studies
-Maths

I don't know what im doing in the future, so i kept my options openish? I want to do three a levels i was thinking of dropping either maths or psychology, probably maths.

I need to know the pros and cons of each subject, i can find loads of websites telling me the pros but not any about the cons.

Thank youuuu

Scroll to see replies

If u want to keep your options open keep maths and drop psychology or just do four of them and drop the subject u dont like by the end of the year
Hello I did RS, history and psychology! I feel they worked really well together as there was often quite a lot of overlap between psych and rs, rs and history. I will say they are all very content heavy subjects, especially RS and History, so it's best to start revising early and keep up with all your work throughout the year. Not sure what boards you'll be doing but I found the content for all three very interesting as well :smile:
Original post by xo.simmy.ox
I am in year 11, or year 12 should i say? Basically in the class of 2020, the year that never made it. Obviously there are no GCSEs anymore but for some reason they are still setting us online work. I very much doubt this work will be used to predict our final grade, so i want to start studying for A level, cus why not?

My possible options are
-History
-Psychology
-Religious Studies
-Maths

I don't know what im doing in the future, so i kept my options openish? I want to do three a levels i was thinking of dropping either maths or psychology, probably maths.

I need to know the pros and cons of each subject, i can find loads of websites telling me the pros but not any about the cons.

Thank youuuu

Please drop either religious studies or history. They are terrible options for career prospects
The cons honestly depend on you as a student and the way you work. For psychology you need to memorise an absurd amount of case studies and people really struggle with that. For maths, questions get considerably harder in year 13 and you may find that questions done in class are much easier than exam questions. In fact, in maths exams, there is no guarantee that you can even finish a paper without skipping questions. Still all these issues can be remedied! Why not just try them out in the first week of sixth form and maybe talk to the teachers of those subjects about the difficulty level if you continued with them. Good luck with it all!
Original post by Tredoltle
Please drop either religious studies or history. They are terrible options for career prospects

That depends on what kind of career you want to go into really
Reply 6
Original post by xo.simmy.ox

My possible options are
-History
-Psychology
-Religious Studies
-Maths

Thank youuuu

I take RS and it was my ‘3rd option’ and now I love it - it is definitely worth taking!
Reply 7
Maths, psychology, and history from those options.

I'm sorry but RS is waste of time.
Original post by wastedcuriosity
That depends on what kind of career you want to go into really

Of course it will open up some paths... However, I think it is almost irrefutable that the paths that open up with Maths are far greater (quantity wise, as quality in this regard can be subjective) than those offered by Religious Studies (and History).
Of course it will open up some paths... However, I think it is almost irrefutable that the paths that open up with Maths are far greater (quantity wise, as quality in this regard can be subjective) than those offered by Religious Studies (and History).

what a levels do you recommend if you want to have a career in cs?
i don't like sciences
considering of doing maths,cs and rs or english lit
but you said that rs seems useless,so what would u do in my place?
Original post by gabp17
I take RS and it was my ‘3rd option’ and now I love it - it is definitely worth taking!

what other a levels do u do?
Original post by Claisen
Maths, psychology, and history from those options.

I'm sorry but RS is waste of time.

Second that.
Original post by kittyfifi123456
i don't like sciences

Maths further maths physics and cs would be ideal for cs or if you dont like phyiscs just do maths and further maths with CS
Reply 13
I do Spanish, RS & Sociology
i don't like sciences

Can you please define 'CS' ? I'm tempted to assume 'Computer Science', but you're saying that you're not into science. Cultural Studies?
Reply 15
what other a levels do u do?

I do Spanish, RS & sociology
Original post by theprettyrainbow
The cons honestly depend on you as a student and the way you work. For psychology you need to memorise an absurd amount of case studies and people really struggle with that. For maths, questions get considerably harder in year 13 and you may find that questions done in class are much easier than exam questions. In fact, in maths exams, there is no guarantee that you can even finish a paper without skipping questions. Still all these issues can be remedied! Why not just try them out in the first week of sixth form and maybe talk to the teachers of those subjects about the difficulty level if you continued with them. Good luck with it all!

PRSOM
i don't like sciences

You just need A level maths for a degree in cs so I recommend anything you'll get high grades in or enjoy more.
Can you please define 'CS' ? I'm tempted to assume 'Computer Science', but you're saying that you're not into science. Cultural Studies?

sorry i meant computer science
Original post by PetitePanda
You just need A level maths for a degree in cs so I recommend anything you'll get high grades in or enjoy more.

Thanks for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest