The Student Room Group

portsmouth uni vs royal holloway

ive been given offers from both unis to study computer science, and both are equally distance away from me but i was stuck on which one to go as in life, social life and their education itself. because ive herd that royal Holloway is at a high ranking due to their insane amounts of research and so if that was taken out they would be really low ranked and opposite with Portsmouth that if they did more research they would be top 20 easily. so which one should i go for, cuse im sooo confused
Original post by INZZ3__
ive been given offers from both unis to study computer science, and both are equally distance away from me but i was stuck on which one to go as in life, social life and their education itself. because ive herd that royal Holloway is at a high ranking due to their insane amounts of research and so if that was taken out they would be really low ranked and opposite with Portsmouth that if they did more research they would be top 20 easily. so which one should i go for, cuse im sooo confused

I only selected Nottingham over Royal Holloway after i got my offer from Nottingham.

I would definitely suggest Royal Holloway over Portsmouth. You'll have a different calibre of student and much nicer facilities at a University of London University. Egham is a bit dull, but you can always travel into London. All of that will probably be in 2nd year. It's also 60% female/male ratio, one of the highest in the UK 😂.
Reply 2
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I only selected Nottingham over Royal Holloway after i got my offer from Nottingham.

I would definitely suggest Royal Holloway over Portsmouth. You'll have a different calibre of student and much nicer facilities at a University of London University. Egham is a bit dull, but you can always travel into London. All of that will probably be in 2nd year. It's also 60% female/male ratio, one of the highest in the UK 😂.

i get what u mean but ive seen their facilities for both and there really not that diff surprisingly apart from a fancy library and some bits and bobs that are not important at royal Holloway and as for the girls portsmouth is like 45-55 to boys which aint bad and also shouldnt be a deciding factor lol
Original post by INZZ3__
i get what u mean but ive seen their facilities for both and there really not that diff surprisingly apart from a fancy library and some bits and bobs that are not important at royal Holloway and as for the girls portsmouth is like 45-55 to boys which aint bad and also shouldnt be a deciding factor lol

Obviously Royal Holloway is going to be alot more ambitious with the calibre of student, and looks fancier on a CV. But it's computer science, it seems like you want to go Portsmouth so go there. Either way your lucky to be going to uni now... You can ride out the economy 😂.
Reply 4
Obviously Royal Holloway is going to be alot more ambitious with the calibre of student, and looks fancier on a CV. But it's computer science, it seems like you want to go Portsmouth so go there. Either way your lucky to be going to uni now... You can ride out the economy 😂.

tbh i want to go royal holloway but my chances are looking slim so i'm seeing whether fighting for a place would be worth it or should i just go to portsmouth uni
Original post by INZZ3__
tbh i want to go royal holloway but my chances are looking slim so i'm seeing whether fighting for a place would be worth it or should i just go to portsmouth uni

I would firm Royal Holloway, you can always get a place at Portsmouth.

I would also advise this, email your school and tell them your highest offer and why you really want to go there. They will then hopefully take that into consideration.
Well remember one is a campus and the other is a city, these will be very different university experiences. I would also suggest looking at what each course covers as modules can vary (and if you're interested in something that one covers that the other doesn't then that'll help sway you). If you've been to both open days you should already have a feel for both. I'd just suggest making a pro/con list for each, adding the pros and taking away the cons and whichever number is larger is the one you prefer.
Reply 7
I would firm Royal Holloway, you can always get a place at Portsmouth.

I would also advise this, email your school and tell them your highest offer and why you really want to go there. They will then hopefully take that into consideration.

literally have done that even msged the uni in reagards to my situation just waiting for a reply and hopefully holloway gives out unconditionals cuse if they doo thennn i have a chance of getting that and itll be amazing if i do
Original post by INZZ3__
literally have done that even msged the uni in reagards to my situation just waiting for a reply and hopefully holloway gives out unconditionals cuse if they doo thennn i have a chance of getting that and itll be amazing if i do

Best of luck 🤞 hope you get it!
Reply 9
Original post by Wondering-Writer
Well remember one is a campus and the other is a city, these will be very different university experiences. I would also suggest looking at what each course covers as modules can vary (and if you're interested in something that one covers that the other doesn't then that'll help sway you). If you've been to both open days you should already have a feel for both. I'd just suggest making a pro/con list for each, adding the pros and taking away the cons and whichever number is larger is the one you prefer.

ngl after looking at the courses portsmouth seems more of a journey and you get to learn hacking and a language i've been always wanted to learn :biggrin: but with holloway its practically everything in one go. this has made me fall for portsmouth however the ranking say otherwise and so my parents arnt gonna agree with me:frown:
Original post by INZZ3__
ngl after looking at the courses portsmouth seems more of a journey and you get to learn hacking and a language i've been always wanted to learn :biggrin: but with holloway its practically everything in one go. this has made me fall for portsmouth however the ranking say otherwise and so my parents arnt gonna agree with me:frown:

Rankings can change drastically from year to year and even between the people who rank. WhatUni will be different to the guardian etc.
Reply 11
Original post by Wondering-Writer
Rankings can change drastically from year to year and even between the people who rank. WhatUni will be different to the guardian etc.

i get what u are saying but what acn i do, to my family and parents that is what tells them how good a uni is and that it
Original post by INZZ3__

Hi @INZZ3__

Congratulations on both of your offers to Royal Holloway and Portsmouth!

Though my field isn't Computer Science, I am happy to answer any questions you might have about being a student in Portsmouth!

In terms of rankings, Portsmouth has come a long way since I first started there a few years back and we're now ranked 21st in the 2020 Guardian rankings. This is testament to the university's dedication to responding to student feedback, both in terms of improving facilities, equipment and keeping course content current and a great emphasis on research at the university!

The Computer Science course is accredited which I know can make the difference when applying for certain careers in the future, and I can speak first hand about the excellent personal and academic support available! With this course there is also the opportunity to pursue teacher training if that was a path you wanted to take. There is also a lot of emphasis on placements at the university which means you could graduate with not just a degree but job experience to help your applications stand out. If you have any more questions about the course or faculty, please feel free to contact the Faculty of Technology at [email protected]

In terms of the lifestyle at Portsmouth, even though we're a city university there is an amazing community feel as we're quite a small city. There is always something to do and there are opportunities for all sorts of interests. Our students union has an amazing variety of groups - and if something is missing that you enjoy you can start your own group. Outside of the university, we have great gyms, restaurants, bars, board game cafes, concerts, stand up comedy gigs, a new karaoke bar, museums.....literally all sorts. It's hard to list everything as there is so much lol! And you can get to Southampton, Brighton or London by train pretty quickly if you want to go further afield.

If you have anything else you want to ask, please do!

Best of luck

Danielle - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by INZZ3__
i get what u are saying but what acn i do, to my family and parents that is what tells them how good a uni is and that it

Rankings might vary but employer's preferences due tend to say pretty entrenched.

Portsmouth doesn't do enough research to make any massive strides into the top 40.

Guardian just places so much on student satisfaction... But that's so subjective, obviously kids who are getting worked at uni aren't gonna be as happy as kid's partying and barely studying 😂.
Reply 14
Rankings might vary but employer's preferences due tend to say pretty entrenched.

Portsmouth doesn't do enough research to make any massive strides into the top 40.

Guardian just places so much on student satisfaction... But that's so subjective, obviously kids who are getting worked at uni aren't gonna be as happy as kid's partying and barely studying 😂.

yeh ig ur right but its becoming consistent with its rankings which is good i think, im gonna go for portsmouth anyways now because of the course but if i get holloway itll be a big decision
What made u choose Nottingham over Royal Holloway ? I’m in a similar situation rn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending