The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Mini fridges, other accommodation questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No, female actually... to be honest on my entire floor I never once saw an ironing board or iron. Unless you mean the kind for your hair, I think one girl brought one, but in the end never used it. Most people are in jeans/t-shirt, sweatshirts, which thankfully don't need ironing. Occasionally swim gear for swim sessions in the pool, but that too doesn't need to be ironed. Far more fun things to be doing than ironing I guess :-)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
What is this...iron you speak of? I have no need for such a thing. And I'm a girl :desu:
Reply 22
Aww, now I feel like a right weirdo with my crazy need to iron everything (yes, I do iron my jeans...)

Oh well, I may well be the only person at Edinburgh who irons but I find it very therapeutic - maybe after a few months of uni I will have gotten over this though...
jomo
Aww, now I feel like a right weirdo with my crazy need to iron everything (yes, I do iron my jeans...)

You're not weird. I feel that people with part-time jobs have been overlooked - some employers will require a professional and smart appearance including ironed clothes. Equally, despite Grum Fox's belief that no one at university dresses smartly, I do beg to differ. I shared several tutorials with very smartly dressed individuals. While I generally wear jeans and tshirt, I do own items of clothing which need ironing, including several shirts. Ironing needn't be your favourite hobby, but it certainly needn't be unheard of!
Reply 24
nearlyheadlessian
You're not weird. I feel that people with part-time jobs have been overlooked - some employers will require a professional and smart appearance including ironed clothes. Equally, despite Grum Fox's belief that no one at university dresses smartly, I do beg to differ. I shared several tutorials with very smartly dressed individuals. While I generally wear jeans and tshirt, I do own items of clothing which need ironing, including several shirts. Ironing needn't be your favourite hobby, but it certainly needn't be unheard of!

You mean there's not a "We <3 Ironing" society? :p: Drag.
jomo
You mean there's not a "We <3 Ironing" society? :p: Drag.

If you can collect together a few people and propose it you could get it set up. :smile: depending on how frequently you offered free chocolate, I might join :p:
Reply 26
nearlyheadlessian

Don't misquote me there!!

I'd said I doubt most people will be kicking about smartly dressed - what's the point? It's not a job interview, after all! Why would you make the effort to dress smartly when there's no real need to?

I can see the point in having access to an iron for dress shirts, etc. However, how often would the majority of people need that? As I said, the tumble dryer does a good job most of the time!
Grum Fox
Don't misquote me there!!

I'd said I doubt most people will be kicking about smartly dressed - what's the point? It's not a job interview, after all! Why would you make the effort to dress smartly when there's no real need to?

Sorry to misquote; I only skim read everything just enough to confirm my previous prejudices :wink:

I merely make the point that while many people don't, there is a minority who do. If I had the money and taste and focus to buy smarter clothes I'd have no objection to wearing smart stuff into central area. I work better when I'm more smartly dressed. But these are just my musings :p:

And you must a) Own one hell of a tumble dryer and b) have a beautifully optimistic view on what university laundry facilities are like :smile:

I own linen shirts - they must be ironed! Yay go linen!

EDIT: I reread myself and realise I come across as stubborn and argumentative. Put it down to my lazy support of ironing and having just finished work :smile:
The contract may forbid the use of fridges, irons etc but we happily had a mini fridge alongside our main fridge and used irons (so long as you use the iron in the kitchen not in your bedroom you'll be fine - the steam will set off the fire alarm in your room but not the kitchen)...
Reply 29
I remember reading somewhere on some correspondence from Edinburgh that our accommodation contract includes contents insurance. Is this right or did I imagine it?
Reply 30
Absurd
I remember reading somewhere on some correspondence from Edinburgh that our accommodation contract includes contents insurance. Is this right or did I imagine it?

Personal contents insurance, apparently. You didn't imagine it - it's on my contract as well.

In addition to a regular cleaning service - all I can say is that I feel sorry for the person who has to clean whatever hovel I inhabit.
Reply 31
Cauldhame
Personal contents insurance, apparently. You didn't imagine it - it's on my contract as well.

In addition to a regular cleaning service - all I can say is that I feel sorry for the person who has to clean whatever hovel I inhabit.

Thanks! So does that cover laptops, etc.?

Sorry to be so clueless about insurance stuff :o:.
Reply 32
Absurd

I'm not sure - I think it varies by policy. If you know who organises the insurance for your halls you can check online.
Absurd

If it's in your room it's insured. Obviously you'll need proof of purchase for stuff like ipods and laptops if you need to claim (as you would with any insurer). If you want to insure a specific item (you don't want to be underinsured) to take out of the room (eg computer, phone, musical instrument) then it is possible to add it to the existing policy.
Reply 34
nearlyheadlessian
If it's in your room it's insured. Obviously you'll need proof of purchase for stuff like ipods and laptops if you need to claim (as you would with any insurer). If you want to insure a specific item (you don't want to be underinsured) to take out of the room (eg computer, phone, musical instrument) then it is possible to add it to the existing policy.

Absurd

You're welcome. As far as I remember the rates offered for adding stuff on with the company concerned weren't too bad either.

Thanks for the rep.
nearlyheadlessian
As far as I remember the rates offered for adding stuff on with the company concerned weren't too bad either.

It all depends on what you're getting insured. I felt that the laptop that I had added to my policy was not terrible value, I could have got it done cheaper (or at least with more benefits) with another insurance company but the hassle of having two insurers for the items at different points of time wasn't worth it. But other people found single item insurances from Endsleigh to be much cheaper so have a look around before deciding where to go.
Reply 37
nearlyheadlessian
You're welcome. As far as I remember the rates offered for adding stuff on with the company concerned weren't too bad either.

Thanks for the rep.

Cool, ta. Endsleigh seem to be reasonable.

My pleasure.

artorscience?
It all depends on what you're getting insured. I felt that the laptop that I had added to my policy was not terrible value, I could have got it done cheaper (or at least with more benefits) with another insurance company but the hassle of having two insurers for the items at different points of time wasn't worth it. But other people found single item insurances from Endsleigh to be much cheaper so have a look around before deciding where to go.

:beard: Interesting.
Reply 38
get a mini fridge. Trust me noone will stop you lol especially in self catered, hell if your nice to your cleaners some of them don't care if you have pets!!
tomkent
hell if your nice to your cleaners some of them don't care if you have pets!!

Pets? They didn't care about the guy living in room 4 in my flat last year, and there was stuff growing in his room and all over his dirty dishes, and his room stank. They'll put up with most stuff. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending