How long should you spend in your first job?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Distressed
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
How long should you spend in your first schoo if you really enjoy it, but are still ambitious. A job
has come up for 1 point and I am unsure whether to go for it. I am a maths teacher by the way.
Anybody got any ideas. This is my second year of teaching.
Stjohn
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Distressed wrote in message ...
[q1]>How long should you spend in your first school if you really enjoy it, but are still ambitious.[/q1]

I would say three years in your first school is good - long enough for future employers not to raise
their eyebrows, long enough for you not to owe anything to your present headmaster (he'll probably
resent giving you a glowing reference if you were to move in the first year) and long enough for you
to know precisely what sort of school and in which direction you wish to move......should it be for
more responsibility, prestige, location, type of establishment (single sex, co-ed, boarding, public,
special, failing, inner city, rural, middle, high ranking, comprehensive, big, bigger, tiny, 16-form
entry, no sixth form).

Good luck, BTW

Singe (with two applications in and waiting for references to be taken - please!)
Vjc
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Distressed" <[email protected]> wrote this, suspiciously:

[q1]>How long should you spend in your first schoo if you really enjoy it, but are still ambitious. A[/q1]
[q1]>job has come up for 1 point and I am unsure whether to go for it. I am a maths teacher by the way.[/q1]
[q1]>Anybody got any ideas. This is my second year of teaching.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Children have a capacity for stability and loyalty that would amaze you ............. don't ever
apologise for being there for them. Stay in the great school you luckily found first time, and ask
them about promotional opportunities now or in the next few years.
--
Vanessa

Pave the planet: One world. One people. One slab of asphalt.
Clark
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Distressed wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> How long should you spend in your first schoo if you really enjoy it, but are still ambitious. A[/q1]
[q1]> job has come up for 1 point and I am unsure whether to go for it. I am a maths teacher by the way.[/q1]
[q1]> Anybody got any ideas. This is my second year of teaching.[/q1]

A story (from a few years ago, but still ...). My wife was in her second year of teaching, like you,
and, like you, she enjoyed where she was but fancied moving up the ladder a bit. She applied for a
promotion elsewhere, went through the whole procedure, and *immediately she was offered the job* her
current headmster found, lo and behold, that he could after all offer her the same promotion.

Moral: go for the promotion. You can't lose anything by trying. Good luck.

Bob
Distressed
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Cheers. The closing date for the job is this friday. I don't think the head is very happy, even the
thought that I am considering applying and then the possibility of having to find another maths
teacher. All I want is something to do in the department (not necessarily for money).

Thanks "StJohn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Distressed wrote in message ...[/q1]
[q2]> >How long should you spend in your first school if you really enjoy it,[/q2]
but
[q2]> >are still ambitious.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I would say three years in your first school is good - long enough for future employers not to[/q1]
[q1]> raise their eyebrows, long enough for you not to[/q1]
owe
[q1]> anything to your present headmaster (he'll probably resent giving you a glowing reference if you[/q1]
[q1]> were to move in the first year) and long enough[/q1]
for
[q1]> you to know precisely what sort of school and in which direction you wish[/q1]
to
[q1]> move......should it be for more responsibility, prestige, location, type[/q1]
of
[q1]> establishment (single sex, co-ed, boarding, public, special, failing,[/q1]
inner
[q1]> city, rural, middle, high ranking, comprehensive, big, bigger, tiny,[/q1]
16-form
[q1]> entry, no sixth form).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Good luck, BTW[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Singe (with two applications in and waiting for references to be taken - please!)[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Mark.Norwood
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"StJohn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I would say three years in your first school is good - long enough for future employers not to[/q1]
[q1]> raise their eyebrows,[/q1]

If you move to get promoted then there will be no raised eyebrows. I say go for it now. Get up the
promotion ladder as quick as you can while there is still a shortage. Trust me, if your current
school was in the position of having to make redundancies then they would show no loyalty to you so
don't feel guilty.

Remember nowadays management points are worth the same regardless of your experience so there is no
sense in waiting.

Go for it and GOOD LUCK!

--
mvn
Distressed
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've applied today and so I shoudl expect to hear soon. I'm
still worried - but hey thats what i'm always like.

Thanks

"Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Distressed wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > How long should you spend in your first schoo if you really enjoy it,[/q2]
but
[q2]> > are still ambitious. A job has come up for 1 point and I am unsure[/q2]
whether
[q2]> > to go for it. I am a maths teacher by the way. Anybody got any ideas. This is my second year of[/q2]
[q2]> > teaching.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> A story (from a few years ago, but still ...). My wife was in her second year of teaching, like[/q1]
[q1]> you, and, like you, she enjoyed where she was but fancied moving up the ladder a bit. She applied[/q1]
[q1]> for a promotion elsewhere, went through the whole procedure, and *immediately she was offered the[/q1]
[q1]> job* her current headmster found, lo and behold, that he could after all offer her the same[/q1]
[q1]> promotion.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Moral: go for the promotion. You can't lose anything by trying. Good luck.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Bob[/q1]
Ian
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Tue, 21 May 2002 21:57:30 +0100, mark.norwood wrote:

[q1]> "StJohn" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> I would say three years in your first school is good - long enough for future employers not to[/q2]
[q2]>> raise their eyebrows,[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> If you move to get promoted then there will be no raised eyebrows. I say go for it now. Get up the[/q1]
[q1]> promotion ladder as quick as you can while there is still a shortage. Trust me, if your current[/q1]
[q1]> school was in the position of having to make redundancies then they would show no loyalty to you[/q1]
[q1]> so don't feel guilty.[/q1]

Yep. If you get promoted you stayed long enough. I did a year and a term, a year, 3 years 2 terms, 3
years 2 terms, 2 years then, 3. Mind the last 3 was a fixed term 3 year contract. I have been
working for me now for 9 years so that is the longest. I don't say this pattern is right, it just
suited me and I'm happy with the outcome. I never got asked at any interview why I had stayed only X
years in a particular job. If of course you are the type that is content to stay in the same place
for 40 years without becoming cynical (unless that's what you like to be ;-) ) fine but you will be
lucky if you get internally promoted.

Regards,

--
IanL
Sarah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I've been at my first job nearly 12 years! Lovely school, lovely staff. Constantly feel like I
should move, but I also think it may be 'better the devil you know'. I am now on a point 3 (as was),
part of SMT. Have been ICT coord, Taught all ages, am now Lit Coord, about to do SENCO in Sept. The
promotions have been there, I guess I've been lucky, and I still feel motivated and challenged (most
days), but good luck with whatever you do.

--
Sarah

Distressed <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've applied today and so I shoudl expect to hear soon. I'm[/q1]
[q1]> still worried - but hey thats what i'm always like.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanks[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Distressed wrote:[/q2]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > > How long should you spend in your first schoo if you really enjoy it,[/q3]
[q1]> but[/q1]
[q3]> > > are still ambitious. A job has come up for 1 point and I am unsure[/q3]
[q1]> whether[/q1]
[q3]> > > to go for it. I am a maths teacher by the way. Anybody got any[/q3]
ideas.
[q3]> > > This is my second year of teaching.[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > A story (from a few years ago, but still ...). My wife was in her second year of teaching, like[/q2]
[q2]> > you, and, like you, she enjoyed where she was but fancied moving up the ladder a bit. She[/q2]
[q2]> > applied for a promotion elsewhere, went through the whole procedure, and *immediately she was[/q2]
[q2]> > offered the job* her current headmster found, lo and behold, that he could after all offer her[/q2]
[q2]> > the same promotion.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Moral: go for the promotion. You can't lose anything by trying. Good luck.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Bob[/q2]
Slieber24
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <2hgleu4b8jki4surjs8h98ng42tlcub [email protected]>, vjc <[email protected]> writes:

[q2]>>How long should you spend in your first schoo if you really enjoy it, but are still ambitious. A[/q2]
[q2]>>job has come up for 1 point and I am unsure whether to go for it. I am a maths teacher by the way.[/q2]
[q2]>>Anybody got any ideas. This is my second year of teaching.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Children have a capacity for stability and loyalty that would amaze you ............. don't ever[/q1]
[q1]>apologise for being there for them. Stay in the great school you luckily found first time, and ask[/q1]
[q1]>them about promotional opportunities now or in the next few years.[/q1]

Children also like it when their good teachers get promoted. My kids at the secondary school only
wanted to know if my move would be a promotion, which it was. They almost saw their school as a
stepping stone for promotion, they'd had so many teachers go - usually to higher level positions....

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (309)
34.33%
No (591)
65.67%

Watched Threads