The Student Room Group

Refund of tuition fees as course is not delivering?

Hi guys

Just wanted some advice, I am a 2nd year Psychology student at university however I am extremely disappointed in my course. Since I started, we have had up to 5 hours of lectures a week. I've only ever had 2 seminars in the whole 2 years and a few workshops here and there. Most of the staff are extremely rude and I genuinely feel as though I have not got my moneys worth. So far, I have spent £14,000 on tuition fees and it will be £18,500 on the 1st of May. I desperately want to drop out and change course to a different uni where I know I'll get my moneys worth, however I was just wondering if there is any chance at all I could get a refund for the money and time I've wasted over the past 2 years? I understand this may not be possible, just wanted to see if anyone has any experience or advice they could offer?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys

Just wanted some advice, I am a 2nd year Psychology student at university however I am extremely disappointed in my course. Since I started, we have had up to 5 hours of lectures a week. I've only ever had 2 seminars in the whole 2 years and a few workshops here and there. Most of the staff are extremely rude and I genuinely feel as though I have not got my moneys worth. So far, I have spent £14,000 on tuition fees and it will be £18,500 on the 1st of May. I desperately want to drop out and change course to a different uni where I know I'll get my moneys worth, however I was just wondering if there is any chance at all I could get a refund for the money and time I've wasted over the past 2 years? I understand this may not be possible, just wanted to see if anyone has any experience or advice they could offer?

Nope. You should have dropped out in year 1.
Your best bet now is to have mh issues and drop out die to medical issues backed by a GP letter. Its a boot delayed to be thinking about this nearly 2/3 way through your course. If you managed to get a CPR claim then that would give you enough room to start a fresh degree.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Nope. You should have dropped out in year 1.
Your best bet now is to have mh issues and drop out die to medical issues backed by a GP letter. Its a boot delayed to be thinking about this nearly 2/3 way through your course. If you managed to get a CPR claim then that would give you enough room to start a fresh degree.

What can I say, hindsight's a wonderful thing 🤷*♀️
Original post by Anonymous
What can I say, hindsight's a wonderful thing 🤷*♀️

Told you the way out.
You could also try fort a transfer to a different uni and start from year 2.
So I'm talking from experience, I was on a University course (PGDip) and collectively, we made a cohort complaint, we gathered a 150+ page document of evidence about WHY and HOW the course did not deliver against what was advertised and promised, and the entire year received a £4000 refund per student. This was only a year or so ago and was from a University in the UK. We complained through the OIA after following internal university procedures . You CAN do it but you need a lot of evidence on why it's failed to deliver against what was promised.

It took us around 8 months to achieve this.

On a side note, I studied Psychology too at Liverpool Uni, and our contact time was minimal too. Even less so in Year 2/Year 3.
(edited 4 years ago)
deleted-
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by YorkshireSoapCo
So I'm talking from experience, I was on a University course (PGDip) and collectively, we made a cohort complaint, we gathered a 150+ page document of evidence about WHY and HOW the course did not deliver against what was advertised and promised, and the entire year received a £4000 refund per student. This was only a year or so ago and was from a University in the UK. We complained through the OIA after following internal university procedures . You CAN do it but you need a lot of evidence on why it's failed to deliver against what was promised.

It took us around 8 months to achieve this.

On a side note, I studied Psychology too at Liverpool Uni, and our contact time was minimal too. Even less so in Year 2/Year 3.

Assuming you were on the York Comp sci course lol?
Original post by Like2Code
Assuming you were on the York Comp sci course lol?

No haha North West - a post grad health course

Quick Reply

Latest