The Student Room Group

Can a person actually stay single and not have a love life?

Say if I want to remain single throughout my whole life... will I actually be able to remain single and not have any romance etc (anything before marriage is considered to be a sin in my religion).
Or is that unrealistic?

Do people actually be happy with no love life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you want to, of course you could.
Reply 2
Yes you can of course! It's your life, so do what makes you happy! Having a boyfriend, girlfriend, partner etc is not the only reason for happiness! Xx
some Buddhists monks have no love life but they're arguably the happiest people
Reply 4
But I'm saying to my family I want to be single... but I really deep down know that I need a love life!

I'm only telling my parents i want to stay single because they want me to find a man but I'm gay! So I'm saying I want to be single all my life but then I know that I I wouldn't be happy single... I need a love life:frown:
And my religion which means a lot to me I'm not allowed to be gay and neither am I allowed to do anything before marriage.
So idk. I am so co fused and don't know what the future holds for me and whether I'll be happy or not.
I'm only saying I want to stay single all my life so my parents dont pester me to find me a man:frown:
Just thought about whether I will be able to cope without s love life and the answer is I wont:frown:
But then I cannot be with a female so what's going to happen?

I am so so conflicted.
Reply 5
Who do I talk to about this?
Is it weird of I talk to a friend about this and about my love life?
Reply 6
Try and talk to someone you trust like a aunty or someone who isn't as religious, it's a hard one because I don't know anything about your parents and how strict they are or your religion but it is your life and as parents they should want to wish the best life for you whether that's with a girl or not.

Try not to bottle it up or worry over it too much, try and talk to your parents and say that you are still young and you don't want to be married yet, eventually you can move out and talk to other people from the same religion who are gay and find out how they went about it.. good luck xx
Original post by Anonymous
Say if I want to remain single throughout my whole life... will I actually be able to remain single and not have any romance etc (anything before marriage is considered to be a sin in my religion).
Or is that unrealistic?

Do people actually be happy with no love life?

What religion are you?
But I'm saying to my family I want to be single... but I really deep down know that I need a love life!

I'm only telling my parents i want to stay single because they want me to find a man but I'm gay! So I'm saying I want to be single all my life but then I know that I I wouldn't be happy single... I need a love life:frown:
And my religion which means a lot to me I'm not allowed to be gay and neither am I allowed to do anything before marriage.
So idk. I am so co fused and don't know what the future holds for me and whether I'll be happy or not.
I'm only saying I want to stay single all my life so my parents dont pester me to find me a man:frown:
Just thought about whether I will be able to cope without s love life and the answer is I wont:frown:

I am so so conflicted.

are you a muslim?

I am so so conflicted.

You'd need to choose a religion which is alligned to your identity and beliefs?
Ask the Pope.
Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre
You'd need to choose a religion which is alligned to your identity and beliefs?

My religion I would not change for anything. Al lother religious beliefs I accept wholeheartedly- but my sexuality is my feelings so how can i change the way i feel so that I'm not gay?
My religion I accept. But my feelings are also my feelings.
I would be fine with having a best friend or a family member who I really love and really loves me. Its the same but without sex.
Original post by Abi75
Try and talk to someone you trust like a aunty or someone who isn't as religious, it's a hard one because I don't know anything about your parents and how strict they are or your religion but it is your life and as parents they should want to wish the best life for you whether that's with a girl or not.

Try not to bottle it up or worry over it too much, try and talk to your parents and say that you are still young and you don't want to be married yet, eventually you can move out and talk to other people from the same religion who are gay and find out how they went about it.. good luck xx

Thank you for your honesty. And I truly have no one in the family who I can tell because if I blurt something out, they will end up telling my parents and then my parents will be humiliated because everyone will know I'm gay.and that's the last thing I want.
I have spoke to family for over a year now ever since they have been pushing to go out and find someone.
Also, I'm not able to move out until I'm in a relationship anyways.
I have anxiety so I do worth about all this alot, I cannot help it, also this current virus I'm also very worried about (as everyone else is) but I guess it has helped me to take my mind off my sexuality for the time being.

This had caused my mental health to deteriorate so much over the last few years and all I do is worry and cry over it because I feel stuck. That's the best word to describe how I feel. I feel I'm in a maze and there is no way out.
I have only spoke about this to my gay friend who has been super super supportive and has just been incredible! She is in a relationship but she is not religious and her family are accepting so her story is totally different to mine! Lol. She has given me lots of advice but sadly none that I can fit into my life alongside my caring nature.
of course. theres asexuals out there after all.
Reply 15
Original post by Delusion6
of course. theres asexuals out there after all.

Easy for people to think we don’t exist and everyone must be in relationships throughout their life or they are unhappy.
Original post by Bio 7
Easy for people to think we don’t exist and everyone must be in relationships throughout their life or they are unhappy.

blame social media or media in general i guess, they love rubbing relationships in peoples faces. couples are talked about more than single people which must lead people to believe theres something 'abnormal' about not being in a relationship. but the actual reality is theres more singletons out there than there are people in relationships. according to an american statistic more than 50% of americans are single! so thats something i guess.... the cheese doesn't always stand alone
I've been doing it for 24 years. Is that enough to qualify as 'stay[ing]'?
different strokes for different folks, if that's what makes u happy go for it :smile:
There are plenty of people who do, probably more than we will ever know. Some by choice, some because the person they want to be with prefers to be with someone else, for example, and then there are those who join religious communities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending