The Student Room Group

Reading comprehension

I have a hard time reading and understanding quickly passages (such as newspaper articles) that have lots of relationships. For eg, they have names of scientists that did various things and the passage just goes in between each other... I have a hard time keeping up with this and I lose comprehension.

Any advice on how to go about making myself quicker. Any advice (not jokes) is much appreciated :smile:

Regards,
Just a lad in need
I'd say just read more. Start slow and make sure you read things like news paper articles, extracts from speeches and extracts from books slowly until you've understood all the information there. Then gradually, your reading speed will just increase. The more you read, the better your comprehension will be. :smile:
Reply 2
No magic pill to make it quick, huh? ;p

Thanks for your advice :smile:
Hi there, I largely agree with theprettyrainbow - there really is no 'quick fix' to quality speed reading. That said, and this may sound somewhat counterintuitive, I'd suggest that you avoid focusing too much on the names / terms and just focus on first getting an overall sense of what the passage is saying. Once you grasp the general idea or message that's conveyed, *then* you can revisit the specificities (e.g. names ) to sort out relationships and whatnot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending