I am applying for an affiliated degree at Cambridge. Does the college matter?

Watch
P.G. W
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I am an American student and I am about to graduate from college with a BA in history.
I unsuccessfully applied to do an affiliated degree in HSPS at Sidney Sussex. I now realized I should have applied for history.
It would a be a dream come true to read history at Christ's, but I realize that is more competitive. I saw that Downing accepts six out of its sixteen applicants, so I am thinking about applying there.
However, would I have more of a chance of being admitted if I were to apply to a mature college, or would it not matter due to the pool system?
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The pool system should mean that all applicants are given equal chance regardless of college, although inevitably some candidates who would work well with cambridge will always be missed through human error... apply to the college you want to go to, and go from there Remember, it's about fitting with the uni and rejection isn't a judgement on your academic potential.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by P.G. W)
I am an American student and I am about to graduate from college with a BA in history.
I unsuccessfully applied to do an affiliated degree in HSPS at Sidney Sussex. I now realized I should have applied for history.
It would a be a dream come true to read history at Christ's, but I realize that is more competitive. I saw that Downing accepts six out of its sixteen applicants, so I am thinking about applying there.
However, would I have more of a chance of being admitted if I were to apply to a mature college, or would it not matter due to the pool system?
The pooling system at Cambridge means that your chances of getting admitted for a certain course should not significantly depend on your choice of college. Do not read too much into the admissions percentages for different colleges. The sample sizes are very small so statistics can change significantly year-on-year.
P.G. W
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
The pooling system at Cambridge means that your chances of getting admitted for a certain course should not significantly depend on your choice of college. Do not read too much into the admissions percentages for different colleges. The sample sizes are very small so statistics can change significantly year-on-year.
Thank you for the information. I just know that Christ's is especially competitive for history.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by P.G. W)
Thank you for the information. I just know that Christ's is especially competitive for history.
"Competitive" means that you're more likely to get pooled to another college, not that you're less likely to be admitted to the university (which presumably is your goal).
P.G. W
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
"Competitive" means that you're more likely to get pooled to another college, not that you're less likely to be admitted to the university (which presumably is your goal).
Well yes. I would rather not get pooled to a mature college.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads