The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Portsmouth university

Hey guys, I’m wanting to go to Portsmouth uni and was just wondering everything I’d need to know about the city, nightlife, shops etc
I'm not sure about the uni but I used to live in Portsmouth. There isn't too much choice in shops, in the actual city, if I remember correctly, I think Chichester is better for shopping (which is about 10/20 mins away) and there's a shopping centre called Cascades nearby. It's a nice enough city, Old Portsmouth is scenic but I did find the actual city a little dull/run down(might've improved now!) Not sure about nightlife as I was too young to go out when I lived there.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys, I’m wanting to go to Portsmouth uni and was just wondering everything I’d need to know about the city, nightlife, shops etc

Hey!

I'm pleased to hear you're thinking about going to Portsmouth Uni! I'm a third-year here just about to graduate and I personally have enjoyed my time here. The city is lovely, and one of my favourite parts about the whole place is the beach/sea. It's never too far away and can make for a lovely walk. We've had a few parties on the beach which have probably been some of my favourite memories here!:smile:

The nightlife is great for students as everything is pretty much in one place - around Guildhall Walk! There's Astoria which is really popular and a Wetherspoons along here as well as a few other places. A few minutes walk away is Pryzm, which is another popular one. Most of the accommodation is around this area as well, which makes it great and a lot safer after a night out not having to walk far.

Gunwharf, which is less than 15 minutes from Guildhall Walk, is where you'll find loads of restaurants from Nandos, Wagamamas, Five Guys etc etc. They have a big Vue Cinema, Bowling, and a ton of outlet stores like Nike and Adidas. It can get busy at the weekend so we would usually always go during the week for whatever we wanted. Regarding other 'normal' high street stores, Commercial Road is where you'll find those. It is close to most of the accommodations and is next to the train station. There are clothes shops like Primark, Topshop, H and M etc, and other stores like Superdrug, Boots, Wilkos, banks etc etc.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :smile:

Hope that helped a bit!

Courtney - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending