Amirahm1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm not sure if I should take A-level maths because in the one hand, it will help me in other A-levels I want to take (chemistry and physics) and it will provide me with a range of degrees I can go on to do in the future.
However, over the years I started to become quite crap at maths (especially in year 11) and I am not as good at it as I used to be in previous years (this may be because of laziness), thus I'm in a bit of dilemma.

Should I take it?
How hard is A-level maths?
Last edited by Amirahm1; 1 year ago
rehena12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your setting your self up with those subjects without taking maths a level I’m in a level physics and I think only 2 people in a class of 30 don’t take the maths a level
rehena12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Where are you planning to go with these a levels because those a levels is recipe for 2 years of hell
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on what sixth form or college you go to as they have different grade requirements to enroll onto a course. For example at my sixth form, you need minimum grade 7 but someone got in with a six as they were very close to a 7. Not only that, most math classes do some baseline test to see where you are at and we got told 'if you perform very very badly you may need to consider other options'.

Since you want to take physics, it would be beneficial to take A-level maths as some topics such as the 'waves' topic where you learn about phase difference, we often are given a sketch of a graph and understanding how it changes often comes with understanding of trig graphs (at least that is what my teacher said)..

For physics we are a class of 4, 3 of us do A-level maths and the other student does core maths.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I suggest trying to strengthen your GCSE maths skills and if you still think you are crap at it, then dont take it. AS level maths at least isn't hard for me because my GCSE skills helped me and I enjoy maths but my friend begs to differ and finds it hard. Maths does help for Physics but for now, I can only see it help with mechanics; those who take A-level maths will be only advantageous at the start and you can always catch up and you will be taught it again from a physics point of view.
Last edited by PetitePanda; 1 year ago
hafsakamaly
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Amirahm1)
I'm not sure if I should take A-level maths because in the one hand, it will help me in other A-levels I want to take (chemistry and physics) and it will provide me with a range of degrees I can go on to do in the future.
However, over the years I started to become quite crap at maths (especially in year 11) and I am not as good at it as I used to be in previous years (this may be because of laziness), thus I'm in a bit of dilemma.

Should I take it?
I am in year 11 and I want to do maths for the reason that it will open so many pathways for me but people have advised me not to take it for the sake of taking it because the content is very difficult and there is a lot of it to cover within 2 years. A level Maths is very very hard, I've seen some people who got grade 9 in maths gcse feel very lost in a level maths because the content is heavier and much more different.

I need to take Maths A level because I want to do a finance degree.

Hopefully this helps.
hafsakamaly
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

Should I take it?
I am in year 11 and I want to do maths for the reason that it will open so many pathways for me but people have advised me not to take it for the sake of taking it because the content is very difficult and there is a lot of it to cover within 2 years. A level Maths is very very hard, I've seen some people who got grade 9 in maths gcse feel very lost in a level maths because the content is heavier and much more different.

I need to take Maths A level because I want to do a finance degree.

Hopefully this helps.
badoom1234
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Should I take it?
ngl
badoom1234
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by badoom1234)
ngl
ngl maths isn't too hard and in my opinion, gcse maths was always harder for me than A-level maths. BTW i'm Edexcel and my maths teacher is 100% better than my gcse maths teacher so those factors may contribute to why i find it much easier. Oh and also my exams got cancelled so we're basically just doing past paper questions as our final exam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
22.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
8.16%
No I am happy with my choice (31)
63.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
6.12%

Watched Threads