Are 16 year olds kids?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Do you think?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
They are legally children so yes.
They still have access to free services such as dentist and opticians which are also perks of children!

18 are when they are no longer officially "kids". Though some people may still view them as such.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes

Perhaps not in the same way that you'd view a 10 year old as a kid but still definitely a child
JoshDarnIt_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I reckon so
Ja78975-Junaid
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep
username5164278
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd say so yes
lapinacolada
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes. Anyone under the age of 18 is a child. You're able to have intimate relationships at this age and buy a lottery ticket but under the eyes of a government you are still a child, therefore, certain laws still apply i.e. not allowed to be in a romantic relationship with an adult, no purchasing of drinks and cigarettes, etc. However, according to the court of law, you will be prosecuted as an adult, the age for this is 9 years and above in the UK I believe.
Pixelrainbow..
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, you just have to speak to a 16 year old to realise they are still quite child like and naive about the world
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
No when Justin Bieber and Michael Jackson were 16 they weren't kids so it depends
username5232128
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think they're a child, but I also don't think an adult. At the end of the day, you're allowed to get married, have sex and join the military at 16. so you're no longer a child. But at the same time, you need parental consent for marriage and joining the military, and for the latter you're only joining as a junior soldier in combat roles so you're essentially just doing an apprenticeship. So no, I don't think 16 year olds are children, but that doesn't mean they're adults
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bryarch)
I don't think they're a child, but I also don't think an adult. At the end of the day, you're allowed to get married, have sex and join the military at 16. so you're no longer a child. But at the same time, you need parental consent for marriage and joining the military, and for the latter you're only joining as a junior soldier in combat roles so you're essentially just doing an apprenticeship. So no, I don't think 16 year olds are children, but that doesn't mean they're adults
you are the best
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Legally still a minor until 18.
But adolescents in their mid to late teenage years are hardly children.
16 year olds are old enough to sexually consent, get married, do the lottery and receive criminal sentences to be served in young offenders institutions.
Gent2324
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
depends on their situation. if they are independent, then no.
if they dependent on their parents, then yes.
username5232128
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I forgot to mention in this that you can also move out and live on your own at 16 and be employed full-time. So it would be ridiculous to say a 16 year old is still a child. Not an adult, but far from a kid.
username3942526
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I forgot to mention in this that you can also move out and live on your own at 16 and be employed full-time. So it would be ridiculous to say a 16 year old is still a child. Not an adult, but far from a kid.
they’re biologically children
username5232128
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Then why are they allowed to have sex, have their own children and marry?
What are you going off of to claim that they're biologically children? Please, prove that they are considered to be children due to specific biological categories, with evidence, otherwise your argument is meaningless
Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be honest they should be seen as adults given what they are able to do
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What the **** does that mean?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (48)
15.19%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (102)
32.28%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (39)
12.34%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.54%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (18)
5.7%
I think it's an unfair expectation (79)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise