The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Credit transfer

I have made a query through OU to a Careers Advisor but I wonder if anyone could advise with regard to credit transfer. I am currently studying foreign languages with my first module Beginners Italian.
I have 60 credits from psychology modules I gained part-time from University of Kent. This were part of what used to exist called a Combined Certificate of Studies which was dispensed with half way through our course. OU said they should be transferable but I am just unsure as to when. I have the transcript ready for sending but I am doing 30 credits now (Beginner's Italian) and hope to get 30 more doing (Intermediate Italian) all Level 1 but I want to major in French. I want to take two modules in French (60 points), definitely including L112 (Intermediate French) and one other, so that I will be able to gain at least 60 points in French at each stage/level to ensure French is the main focus of my degree.
Should I transfer my credits therefore for Stage 2 and will all 60 previous points from 2009/10 be accepted if my focus has now changed from psychology?
I also have a query about the Exploring Languages and Cultures module L161 and if it is interesting or just feels like it's padding out the language study. For a main focus in a degree, I understand that you must gain 180 credits with at least 60 at each level.
Vocationally, I do feel that options may be limited with foreign languages as most positions must go to mother-tongue speakers, or younger students that have had the good fortune to study or work abroad as part of their course. Any recommendations for possible careers for older students who may not have had this but can read and translate pretty well? I am 54 and never particularly wanted to teach.
Sorry for the billion questions.
Kind regards Laura
To be honest with you, I don't think they will allow you to transfer any of those credits across - they need to pertain to what you are currently studying. You have psychology credits which do not relate to your language degree in any way. When you apply for credit transfer with the OU, as I did, you need to also send them a detailed breakdown of all the content covered on your course so they can see the overlap with your current study.

For example, I couldn't study 2 years of a BA in English at a traditional uni and then request a transfer of 240 credits, effectively skipping the first two years, of a BSc in Engineering with the OU - the two bare no relation at all. The only way in which they would allow you to do it that I can see, however, is if you have optional modules you can take that don't have to relate to your languages. If you have say 30 credits at stage which you can pick any module, they may allow you to use 30 credits of your psychology study towards it.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest