trialsofkay
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How do i get an A/ A* in AS Law. I'm currently lost, as my teacher did not give any tips regarding the mark allocation. Furthermore, he never marks my paper. How should the structure of my answers be like?
karis2942
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Law is obviously incredibly content heavy at times, and I had to put a lot of hours in for revision. What I can say is that unlike a subject such as English, you wont be awarded extra marks as such for complex language, the marks come from facts and evidence. I learnt that I needed to know the raw facts from the topics and focus on just getting them into my answers, rather than making it sound more intricate. In my AS exams I dropped 3 marks overall, and that came from learning the facts word for word - it took hours but it paid off. Not sure how your teacher delivers lessons, but my teacher would create a booklet for each topic that we could print off and follow in the lesson. My revision was pages of notes condensed from these booklets which I began learning from top to bottom until I could recite the page effectively. I know it sounds tedious, and it can be, but that's what I found worked for me. let me know if I can help anymorex
trialsofkay
Rep:
?
(Original post by karis2942)
Law is obviously incredibly content heavy at times, and I had to put a lot of hours in for revision. What I can say is that unlike a subject such as English, you wont be awarded extra marks as such for complex language, the marks come from facts and evidence. I learnt that I needed to know the raw facts from the topics and focus on just getting them into my answers, rather than making it sound more intricate. In my AS exams I dropped 3 marks overall, and that came from learning the facts word for word - it took hours but it paid off. Not sure how your teacher delivers lessons, but my teacher would create a booklet for each topic that we could print off and follow in the lesson. My revision was pages of notes condensed from these booklets which I began learning from top to bottom until I could recite the page effectively. I know it sounds tedious, and it can be, but that's what I found worked for me. let me know if I can help anymorex
Hey there, when u mention facts, do u mean literally memorising cases word by word? I'm currently revising through Human Rights, and I'm kinda lost as to how to answer a question regarding it. I'm currently doing the CAIE exam board
It would be great if you could give more tips, thank you <3
karis2942
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by trialsofkay)
Hey there, when u mention facts, do u mean literally memorising cases word by word? I'm currently revising through Human Rights, and I'm kinda lost as to how to answer a question regarding it. I'm currently doing the CAIE exam board
It would be great if you could give more tips, thank you <3
So not necessarily cases word by word - although you do need to be able to give some context of the cases that you use to really get top marks. For learning facts, its more about having the knowledge of how each topic functions in a sense, and knowing each element to a crime or a tort. Hard to explain without an example, but a simple one might be non fatal offences such as assault or battery etc (not sure if you cover this, but I assume so). To get the top marks for these you would need to know every element that goes in to proving them, as well as case examples to back this up, so think you need to know the actus reus and mens rea parts, what they mean, and how/when they apply. Sorry if this is still all a bit confusing! Is it a specific topic in human rights that you're struggling with?
trialsofkay
Rep:
?
So not necessarily cases word by word - although you do need to be able to give some context of the cases that you use to really get top marks. For learning facts, its more about having the knowledge of how each topic functions in a sense, and knowing each element to a crime or a tort. Hard to explain without an example, but a simple one might be non fatal offences such as assault or battery etc (not sure if you cover this, but I assume so). To get the top marks for these you would need to know every element that goes in to proving them, as well as case examples to back this up, so think you need to know the actus reus and mens rea parts, what they mean, and how/when they apply. Sorry if this is still all a bit confusing! Is it a specific topic in human rights that you're struggling with?
I'm at the chapter of the Human Rights Act 1998, and im not really sure which parts are crucial for me to know. I guess I'm struggling bc i really do find the topic pretty bland.
karis2942
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by trialsofkay)
I'm at the chapter of the Human Rights Act 1998, and im not really sure which parts are crucial for me to know. I guess I'm struggling bc i really do find the topic pretty bland.
Human rights is by far the most difficult topic I studied in law, and I agree that its certainly not the most interesting but I can send you my sheet of notes for HRA if that's something which would be helpful? And if you have more questions about it I can try and answer them
trialsofkay
Rep:
?
Human rights is by far the most difficult topic I studied in law, and I agree that its certainly not the most interesting but I can send you my sheet of notes for HRA if that's something which would be helpful? And if you have more questions about it I can try and answer them
Yes please do send them. Thank you so so much <3
Last edited by trialsofkay; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.49%
England (143)
34.79%
Belgium (31)
7.54%
Germany (41)
9.98%
Spain (10)
2.43%