The Student Room Group

Where to study!? HELP (BA Graphic Design/Illustration)

Hiiii everyone, I'm an international student who will be studying in the UK or US. This is actually my first time ever post sth here and that is because I'm being really indecisive rn... I can't decide where I'm going to. Can you guys give me some advice if you have any opinions toward those schools? It will be really helpful for me! Thank you :smile:

So far I have received offers from 11 schools (UK and US):
US illustration: Parsons(finish ESL first), Pratt, SCAD, SAIC
UK graphic: Goldsmiths(Design), UAL CSM FD(GCD pathway), Kingston FD, UCA, Brighton, NTU, Birmingham City

I narrow down my choice into: NTU, Goldsmiths, CSM, Parsons, SAIC, Pratt. (I'm still not sure, what do you guys think? am I doing it wrong?)

I was also wondering if the ranking really does matter since I only get FD or ESL program for the top 2&3 schools...
I have read almost every discussion about the foundation program of uni in TSR. I wonder if it is worth to do the foundation(or ESL), what do you guys think? I have heard someone said that it is just a waste of time that you have to redo and reapply next year, and the chance of really getting into BA is not guaranteed.

Also, I value whether the school worth the money and how is the education(sorry if I sound offensive...every school has its own strength).

Which school will be relatively easy to get a job after graduating. Is it easy to stay and find a job for International students in the UK or US??

P.S. I am also a bit worried about the racism problems these days because of the coronavirus... Are any of these places particularly (or relatively) unsafe or have severe racism?
If you're considering those kinds of institutions, do a foundation year. They're amazing and will really benefit you in the long term. Don't view them as just a hoop to jump through to get onto a degree. It was also help you to clarify whether you want to do graphics or illustration (or something else entirely).

Any of those institutions will give you a chance of having a successful career. Whether you find a good job is down to you, not the course you're on.

All the courses on your shortlist are very popular and therefore lots of students in each yeargroup. There are pros and cons to this. The only exception to that is the Design course at Goldsmiths, which is smaller and very unique in it's character. Certainly very different from the other's you've chosen, so research into it some more.

You seem to want to be in a big cosmopolitan city, so it's very unlikely you'll experience much if any racism. There were a few incidents reporting in the media related to coronavirus but very few compared to he size of the population, so i wouldn't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest