Would you drop out and reapply for a much better university if you had the grades?

Watch
caufou
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I am a first-year student at a university that is considered very good in its field and it used to be my dream institution to get into, but I came to dislike it extremely over time. I don't find it academic enough and I just hate the thought of working for a degree from a university that is ultimately low down in academic rankings while having the grades for UCL entry requirements. I'm okay with the course content, I know I could do well on this programme and potentially graduate with a first, but I've grown very unhappy feeling that I'm not fulfilling my potential AND not being able to get along with my classmates either.
I could reapply to 2021/22 entry which I feel would make me happier, but that would mean that I've wasted a few years of my life essentially and, of course, quite a bit of money, too. People keep telling me that I should stick it out and go for a Masters degree at a top uni, but I am just so unhappy and out of place here...
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Is the course at UCL still open and accepting applications? If so, why not apply, see if you receive an offer and then decide what to do.
caufou
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
Is the course at UCL still open and accepting applications? If so, why not apply, see if you receive an offer and then decide what to do.
UCL generally does not consider late applications, so I would need to apply for 2021 entry.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
If the course is substantially better at UCL, you'd be much happier there and you don't mind taking a year out - I'd say consider it. (it'll be important to consider the financial implications of this among other things)

If you're interested in doing a masters, you could always complete a bachelors at your current university and do a masters at UCL, (provided your bachelors is considered sufficient preparation, you should research this) if for some reason you can't apply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (646)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (817)
42.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.61%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.51%

Watched Threads