ConfusedPsych
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone could give information on the typical day of a mental health social worker? What kind of things are involved in the role? Is it a role a Psychology undergrad degree would be beneficial for (after completing the SW Masters course)? Also, is counselling an aspect of the role (not as a qualified counsellor, more informally)?

I am considering a career in mental health Social Work, Occupational Therapy or Counselling, and while I have spoken to people in these careers I'd appreciate it if someone could shed even more light on the role to help me get a better picture of what I'm suited to.

Thanks!
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ConfusedPsych)
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone could give information on the typical day of a mental health social worker? What kind of things are involved in the role? Is it a role a Psychology undergrad degree would be beneficial for (after completing the SW Masters course)? Also, is counselling an aspect of the role (not as a qualified counsellor, more informally)?

I am considering a career in mental health Social Work, Occupational Therapy or Counselling, and while I have spoken to people in these careers I'd appreciate it if someone could shed even more light on the role to help me get a better picture of what I'm suited to.

Thanks!
Hi there,

It's great that you've got some ideas of what you want to do and are putting effort into researching option, many don't and this will stand you in good stead.

Mental health social workers tend to work with individuals with complex needs, ranging from learning disabilities to severe mental health conditions, and support these individuals in living a fuller life. This includes supporting them to interact with things health services, social services, housing support and so on. It can also include things like offering low level therapy. It's likely that the people you support will be receiving professional counselling or therapy but social workers also need those skills to use on a more day-to-day, informal basis with the client.

You might be interested in the Think Ahead scheme, this is a graduate training scheme to get paid to train as a mental health social worker and gain the master's. With your psychology degree you'd be eligible to apply, and if you can get any volunteering or work experience in the mental health sector, even better. On their page you'll find some testimonials from people doing the job, which is probably one of the best ways to learn about what it's like. You can find that here...

thinkahead.org

You might also like to look at the NHS Health Careers website as they have information on the types of roles you're looking for, including videos following people doing the jobs.

healthcareers.nhs.uk

Hope this all helps - Mark
ConfusedPsych
Rep:
?
(Original post by National Careers Service)
Hi there,

It's great that you've got some ideas of what you want to do and are putting effort into researching option, many don't and this will stand you in good stead.

Mental health social workers tend to work with individuals with complex needs, ranging from learning disabilities to severe mental health conditions, and support these individuals in living a fuller life. This includes supporting them to interact with things health services, social services, housing support and so on. It can also include things like offering low level therapy. It's likely that the people you support will be receiving professional counselling or therapy but social workers also need those skills to use on a more day-to-day, informal basis with the client.

You might be interested in the Think Ahead scheme, this is a graduate training scheme to get paid to train as a mental health social worker and gain the master's. With your psychology degree you'd be eligible to apply, and if you can get any volunteering or work experience in the mental health sector, even better. On their page you'll find some testimonials from people doing the job, which is probably one of the best ways to learn about what it's like. You can find that here...

thinkahead.org

You might also like to look at the NHS Health Careers website as they have information on the types of roles you're looking for, including videos following people doing the jobs.

healthcareers.nhs.uk

Hope this all helps - Mark
Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate your help. I will look into the Think Ahead scheme - although when I looked into this in the past I think it was only a scheme in England and I'd prefer to stay in Wales. But having funded study is definitely a massive advantage, and I'll definitely look into the testimonials thanks for suggesting this!
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ConfusedPsych)
Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate your help. I will look into the Think Ahead scheme - although when I looked into this in the past I think it was only a scheme in England and I'd prefer to stay in Wales. But having funded study is definitely a massive advantage, and I'll definitely look into the testimonials thanks for suggesting this!
You might want to give Careers Wales a shout, they are the national careers service for there and might have some info about similar social work schemes in Wales.
careerswales.gov.wales
ConfusedPsych
Rep:
?
(Original post by National Careers Service)
You might want to give Careers Wales a shout, they are the national careers service for there and might have some info about similar social work schemes in Wales.
careerswales.gov.wales
I'll definitely do this! Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads