The Student Room Group

Head of year got my job taken

I was just talking to my friends in lesson at school about my job that I have, basically I do quite a lot of hours for my age which I choose to do because I want some money. I work as a valeter at a family friends showroom so I clean cars and help his employers out but Im not a full valeter I just might help the valeters out jet washing under supervision of a qualified valeter. I was telling my friends then the teacher was asking what everyone is doing on the weekends so I said I do that, hes asking more questions like how many hours I do etc but Im just thinking nothing of it. Im in my next lesson so this is about an hour later, the head of year comes in, asks my teacher if he can borrow me so I go with him and hes saying he will be contacting my parents about my job because Im doing to much for my age but I try to argue with him because I dont mind doing my job and I actually enjoy it. Anyway my teacher is just saying that Im 15 so shouldnt be working that much, he said hes going to contact my parents so he does. I get home and my parents say my head of year had ago at him and they were angry about it but they said its best if I stop working for the guy so since this happened Ive not been working so have money, there was supposed a meeting but there isnt because school closed a few weeks ago. Im just pissed of because I need some money, maybe I am a bit young to work but I need money for my future, I want to learn to drive when Im 17 and its not cheap. I dont know why my teacher grassed to my head of year and my head of year did this because its not like Im in danger at home or anything, its an actual piss take.

Scroll to see replies

The problem is that there is actually legal restrictions on how much you can work. If your over the legal hours the school has a duty to report it. You can still work, just need to be careful of the hours you work.

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/restrictions-on-child-employment
That car dealership probably won't survive covid-19. So best to give it up now.
Reply 3
Original post by henleykt
The problem is that there is actually legal restrictions on how much you can work. If your over the legal hours the school has a duty to report it. You can still work, just need to be careful of the hours you work.

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/restrictions-on-child-employment

My head of year was saying I need to stop the job fully, he never said can I reduce my hours a bit
Reply 4
Original post by Realitysreflexx
That car dealership probably won't survive covid-19. So best to give it up now.

This before all this lock down stuff
Original post by Anonymous
I was just talking to my friends in lesson at school about my job that I have, basically I do quite a lot of hours for my age which I choose to do because I want some money. I work as a valeter at a family friends showroom so I clean cars and help his employers out but Im not a full valeter I just might help the valeters out jet washing under supervision of a qualified valeter. I was telling my friends then the teacher was asking what everyone is doing on the weekends so I said I do that, hes asking more questions like how many hours I do etc but Im just thinking nothing of it. Im in my next lesson so this is about an hour later, the head of year comes in, asks my teacher if he can borrow me so I go with him and hes saying he will be contacting my parents about my job because Im doing to much for my age but I try to argue with him because I dont mind doing my job and I actually enjoy it. Anyway my teacher is just saying that Im 15 so shouldnt be working that much, he said hes going to contact my parents so he does. I get home and my parents say my head of year had ago at him and they were angry about it but they said its best if I stop working for the guy so since this happened Ive not been working so have money, there was supposed a meeting but there isnt because school closed a few weeks ago. Im just pissed of because I need some money, maybe I am a bit young to work but I need money for my future, I want to learn to drive when Im 17 and its not cheap. I dont know why my teacher grassed to my head of year and my head of year did this because its not like Im in danger at home or anything, its an actual piss take.

you can still work just be careful with who you tell, thats why i was sure not to tell any of my teachers about my job at 15, i got to keep it and got good grades

and always be concerned when teachers start asking alot of questions, unless theyre naturally friendly and you know they wont tell then suspect that theyre gathering information
Reply 6
Original post by hustlr
you can still work just be careful with who you tell, thats why i was sure not to tell any of my teachers about my job at 15, i got to keep it and got good grades

and always be concerned when teachers start asking alot of questions, unless theyre naturally friendly and you know they wont tell then suspect that theyre gathering information

I thought that teacher who was asking was just being friendly
Reply 7
My head of year was saying I need to stop the job fully, he never said can I reduce my hours a bit

They are probably concerned that your employer is taking advantage of you as cheap labour, and if they are prepared to do that, who knows what other risks they could be taking with you.
Reply 8
Original post by Surnia
They are probably concerned that your employer is taking advantage of you as cheap labour, and if they are prepared to do that, who knows what other risks they could be taking with you.

My employer who is friends with my parents alway used to say I can go home early, i can have longer lunch times than his employees and the main thing is he paid me. Everything in the job was my choice apart from health rules or laws they had in place for example you couldnt drive the cars or you couldnt have alcohol but what hours I did or if I wanted to come in etc was upto to me since I was young and the relationship we have with the boss.
My employer who is friends with my parents alway used to say I can go home early, i can have longer lunch times than his employees and the main thing is he paid me. Everything in the job was my choice apart from health rules or laws they had in place for example you couldnt drive the cars or you couldnt have alcohol but what hours I did or if I wanted to come in etc was upto to me since I was young and the relationship we have with the boss.

Was it cash in hand? The teacher had NO choice if you were working more hours than the legal limit. It sounds as if you are being exploited to me -
Original post by Muttley79
Was it cash in hand? The teacher had NO choice if you were working more hours than the legal limit. It sounds as if you are being exploited to me -

He does bank transfer but he used to pay me in cash
He does bank transfer but he used to pay me in cash

So do you pay tax or NI?
So do you pay tax or NI?

No since Im under 18
And you don't know that your employer would be willing to do that. Do you have a legal contract of employment that you've both signed?
Original post by 04MR17
And you don't know that your employer would be willing to do that. Do you have a legal contract of employment that you've both signed?

My employer and parents sorted that out
Reply 15
No since Im under 18

You must declare any taxable earnings regardless of your age.
Original post by IWMTom
You must declare any taxable earnings regardless of your age.

I might be paying tax, I dont get that stuff, my employer and parents will have sorted that out
Reply 17
I might be paying tax, I dont get that stuff, my employer and parents will have sorted that out

Doubt it.
No since Im under 18

Not relevant: https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance

You need to make sure that you are covered if you have an accident - this industry is notorious.

Are you being paid the correct wage? https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Not relevant: https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance

You need to make sure that you are covered if you have an accident - this industry is notorious.

Are you being paid the correct wage? https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

We had give my national insurance number when I started working and I get £60 a day for a few hours so it more than minimum wage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending