What is EPQ (Extended Project Qualification)?

Watch
AchyutChaudhary
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi All,
I was just wondering, can you explain me what is EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) for AS/ A-levels?
Is it just another ordinary subject, or is an extra qualification you can do?

Do we have exam boards and basic entry requirements? What do we study in it? DO Unis and employers prefer having it?

Many thanks
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's an extra qualification and its basically a research project that grade you on the research process and the written work. Yes they have exam boards but any one can do it if your school does it. You can study and make it about anything as long as it doesn't overlap with your Alevels. Unis do see it as beneficial and some unis sometimes lower their offer by a grade.
theprettyrainbow
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok so the only EPQ exam board l know of is AQA and basically it’s an extended essay that you do (5000 words) on a topic of your choice. It’s an extra qualification that is classified under the AS section. There are no entry requirements for it (anyone can do it) and you have to check with your school whether or not it offers EPQ. If it doesn’t, you can request for it on the AQA website and they provide everything including a centre coordinator (very important). Employers don’t necessarily look at the EPQ and some (not all) unis look at it and give reduced offers of up to one grade below. For example Exeter drops from AAA to AAB because of this (my offer). EPQ is all individual research but your school may have lessons on referencing, and how to actually get started etc all of which are compulsory.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (17)
16.04%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.55%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.66%
I need help with my personal statement (42)
39.62%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
23.58%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.89%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (6)
5.66%

Watched Threads