Predicted grades BBB - Worth applying to AAB?

Watch
smjs2003
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
My predicted grades for A level are BBB due to personal circumstances that affected my GCSE results. Since the start of year 12 I’ve been receiving A’s with a few B’s, but teachers refused to raise predicted until after mocks. However mocks aren’t happening now and I’m not in school so I fear my predicted grades won’t improve.
Is it worth me even considering applying to AAB unis? I want to study Law, which I recognise is extremely competitive. I could apply to unis with lower entry requirements but so many people have told me there’s no point studying law if it’s not a Russell group university.
Heliborus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by smjs2003)
My predicted grades for A level are BBB due to personal circumstances that affected my GCSE results. Since the start of year 12 I’ve been receiving A’s with a few B’s, but teachers refused to raise predicted until after mocks. However mocks aren’t happening now and I’m not in school so I fear my predicted grades won’t improve.
Is it worth me even considering applying to AAB unis? I want to study Law, which I recognise is extremely competitive. I could apply to unis with lower entry requirements but so many people have told me there’s no point studying law if it’s not a Russell group university.
Apply for the the course that interests you most - it is a buyers market for students - aim for RG given your career choice. Aim high for those grades as it is a competitive market. A GAP year given the climate may be for the best in any event.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yes applying to some with AAB requirement will be fine,
just make sure you scatter your applications at different grade requirements/ grade flexibility.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Which course and which university? Lots of universities put higher A levels than they require as some people think it makes them look better. They in no way hold these grades as requirements on results day.
smjs2003
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
Which course and which university? Lots of universities put higher A levels than they require as some people think it makes them look better. They in no way hold these grades as requirements on results day.
I would like to study Law, and the universities with AAB entry requirements are Cardiff and Leicester. I’ve also read on forums that Manchester and Sheffield are lenient with grades despite entry requirements being AAA, but my predicted is significantly lower.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I would like to study Law, and the universities with AAB entry requirements are Cardiff and Leicester. I’ve also read on forums that Manchester and Sheffield are lenient with grades despite entry requirements being AAA, but my predicted is significantly lower.
I would look through posts on the law forums and ask there - people will have an idea of what previous admission grades were accepted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads