StA or Durham?

Watch this thread
ragstilwell
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Could anyone sway me towards StA? I'm studying English. I don't like the fact that they do performance, whereas Durham is a strict Lit course.
iStudentChat
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I just graduated from StA with masters and teaching is terrible for such a high class uni.
ragstilwell
Rep:
(Original post by iStudentChat)
I just graduated from StA with masters and teaching is terrible for such a high class uni.
Really? Could I ask why it's so bad/what subject you did?
iStudentChat
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ragstilwell)
Really? Could I ask why it's so bad/what subject you did?
Yes, I was so surprises since they have award from teaching. I did MSc in Psychology and Research so basically lots of statistics and we only had 1 class per day which was 2h from Monday - Wednesday. Some of the lectures started classes late and this was because they notoriously were arriving late or we had to wait for students from previous class to leave the room which resulted in losing 15mins of lecture every time. The seas especially painful when you had to pay fulll fees for the degree like in my case. Another thing is that the marking is very harsh while marking criteria is not always clear. The other weakness is most of the teachers do not make big effort in sharing experience and knowledge with students they just read off prepared slides and quote books that later they admit it is not the best book to learn from. So most of the time I spent self teaching from youtube.

In my opinion this uni is best suited for those who go want to make friends, there are some students who come from normal income background others are richer then wealthy clan. Also, if you want to party a lot. But ff you want to go there to really learn I would research a lot into teachers who will be teaching you, if they are proactive or just there to get stable wage every month.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by iStudentChat)
Yes, I was so surprises since they have award from teaching. I did MSc in Psychology and Research so basically lots of statistics and we only had 1 class per day which was 2h from Monday - Wednesday. Some of the lectures started classes late and this was because they notoriously were arriving late or we had to wait for students from previous class to leave the room which resulted in losing 15mins of lecture every time. The seas especially painful when you had to pay fulll fees for the degree like in my case. Another thing is that the marking is very harsh while marking criteria is not always clear. The other weakness is most of the teachers do not make big effort in sharing experience and knowledge with students they just read off prepared slides and quote books that later they admit it is not the best book to learn from. So most of the time I spent self teaching from youtube.

In my opinion this uni is best suited for those who go want to make friends, there are some students who come from normal income background others are richer then wealthy clan. Also, if you want to party a lot. But ff you want to go there to really learn I would research a lot into teachers who will be teaching you, if they are proactive or just there to get stable wage every month.
you obviously have an experience shared by a very small minority, perhaps the module coordinator of your masters degree needs to be complained about?

for undergrad st andrews is close to the top for all 3 metrics of student satisfaction, both overall and for English: https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ue-tables-2020
username4506446
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Could anyone sway me towards StA? I'm studying English. I don't like the fact that they do performance, whereas Durham is a strict Lit course.
I got an offer from both St Andrews and Durham to study Business and Management. I had to make this decision a few weeks ago to decide which one I wanted to firm as I liked both of the unis a lot. My recommendation is look at course modules, and the rankings, and see which one you like the best. For English Durham is ranked 1st in the UK and St Andrews is ranked 4th, but rankings don’t mean everything. Also which uni do you see yourself at? Durham and St Andrews are similar unis because they are both small and don’t have many nightclubs. In the end I firmed St Andrews due to the fact that I loved the place when I went on the open day more than Durham. I went to Durham as well on an open day. Durham is a bigger place compared to St Andrews and has its own train station, which St Andrews does not. St Andrews nearest train station is Leuchars and then you have to get a taxi or a bus to St Andrews uni. Edinburgh is 1.5 hr train journey away from St Andrews and Dundee is a 30mins bus journey away. There are nightclubs in Dundee which students occasionally go to, but in St Andrews students make their own fun and it seems like they are always having fun even though the nightlife may be limited and repetitive. At St Andrews there are lots of balls, fashion shows and societies going on. At Durham lots of students tend to go to Newcastle to get a more varied night out. Newcastle has lots of nightclubs and bars. Also for my course Durham is not highly regarded, whereas St Andrews is 1st for my course. Also I liked the fact that basically no one from my school is going to St Andrews, which I love. I am more of an introverted type so I prefer a smaller uni scene as opposed to a more nightclub based uni atmosphere. I prefer pubs over nightclubs. Also with Durham it matters a lot which College you get allocated as some of the colleges are not great and have bad reputation. However in the end it’s your choice, but I would highly recommend picking St Andrews.
Last edited by username4506446; 2 years ago
ragstilwell
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous_4657)
I got an offer from both St Andrews and Durham to study Business and Management. I had to make this decision a few weeks ago to decide which one I wanted to firm as I liked both of the unis a lot. My recommendation is look at course modules, and the rankings, and see which one you like the best. For English Durham is ranked 1st in the UK and St Andrews is ranked 4th, but rankings don’t mean everything. Also which uni do you see yourself at? Durham and St Andrews are similar unis because they are both small and don’t have many nightclubs. In the end I firmed St Andrews due to the fact that I loved the place when I went on the open day more than Durham. I went to Durham as well on an open day. Durham is a bigger place compared to St Andrews and has its own train station, which St Andrews does not. St Andrews nearest train station is Leuchars and then you have to get a taxi or a bus to St Andrews uni. Edinburgh is 1.5 hr train journey away from St Andrews and Dundee is a 30mins bus journey away. There are nightclubs in Dundee which students occasionally go to, but in St Andrews students make their own fun and it seems like they are always having fun even though the nightlife may be limited and repetitive. At St Andrews there are lots of balls, fashion shows and societies going on. At Durham lots of students tend to go to Newcastle to get a more varied night out. Newcastle has lots of nightclubs and bars. Also for my course Durham is not highly regarded, whereas St Andrews is 1st for my course. Also I liked the fact that basically no one from my school is going to St Andrews, which I love. I am more of an introverted type so I prefer a smaller uni scene as opposed to a more nightclub based uni atmosphere. I prefer pubs over nightclubs. Also with Durham it matters a lot which College you get allocated as some of the colleges are not great and have bad reputation. However in the end it’s your choice, but I would highly recommend picking St Andrews.
I picked it! (it's firmed ) Thankyou so much! I'm very excited..I'm also introverted, so clubs don't bother me
username4506446
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I picked it! (it's firmed ) Thankyou so much! I'm very excited..I'm also introverted, so clubs don't bother me
Congratulations! Have you got an unconditional or conditional offer? Also have you done your accommodation application form yet? I’ve got a conditional offer, so waiting for my A Level results to come through.
Last edited by username4506446; 2 years ago
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yay! I also firmed but for biology instead
username4506446
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
Yay! I also firmed but for biology instead
Congratulations! Cannot wait to go to St Andrews.
username4867806
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Me neither! It is such a nice town and the university is really good!
ragstilwell
Rep:
Congratulations! Have you got an unconditional or conditional offer? Also have you done your accommodation application form yet? I’ve got a conditional offer, so waiting for my A Level results to come through.
Unconditional...good luck! I haven't done accommodation yet - I think you have to wait 48 hours after firming
username4867806
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
What subjects do you want to do?
username4506446
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
What subjects do you want to do?
I’ve got an offer for management and want to do economics when I get there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (23)
25.27%
It went fairly well (39)
42.86%
It didn't go too well (17)
18.68%
TERRIBLE! (12)
13.19%

Watched Threads