The Student Room Group

How hard is Geography A Level?

I’m picking my A Level subjects rn. Wondering how difficult it is.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Mr. Warraich

Thanks

Hi, I was meant to be doing my geography A level exam this summer but obviously I won't be able to so I don't know what the actual exam will be like. However, studying geography wasn't that bad. I found it really interesting and I'm not going to lie you could probably waffle your way through some of the essays. Just know your case studies and essay structure and you'll be ok. The only bad thing was the coursework, I hated it but others found it fine. It just depends on what kind of person you are.

Thanks

It depends how interesting you find it, usually the more interesting you find it the easier it is because you will be willing to revise more. It also depends on the exam board. I did AQA geography and I wouldn't say it was too difficult compared to my other subjects but I have always found it interesting since GCSE so I may be biased.
Original post by pepino4
Hi, I was meant to be doing my geography A level exam this summer but obviously I won't be able to so I don't know what the actual exam will be like. However, studying geography wasn't that bad. I found it really interesting and I'm not going to lie you could probably waffle your way through some of the essays. Just know your case studies and essay structure and you'll be ok. The only bad thing was the coursework, I hated it but others found it fine. It just depends on what kind of person you are.

Hi. What does coursework even mean? My GCSE courses were linear so I never really understood what it meant.
If you are interested and willing to put in the work it is by no means hard. Only thing I found hard about geography was learning about glacial landform formation. However, many topics are a breeze and is just like GCSE, but a bit more detailed
Reply 5
Hi. What does coursework even mean? My GCSE courses were linear so I never really understood what it meant.

The coursework involved a field trip (mine was to Swanage) where you collect primary and secondary data to answer your investigation question. Then you get about 6 months or so to write up your coursework. This includes introduction, methodology, data analysis, conclusion and evaluation. Coursework counts towards 20% of the A level so it's a good chance to get a high grade so that there's less pressure for your actual written exam. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by pepino4
The coursework involved a field trip (mine was to Swanage) where you collect primary and secondary data to answer your investigation question. Then you get about 6 months or so to write up your coursework. This includes introduction, methodology, data analysis, conclusion and evaluation. Coursework counts towards 20% of the A level so it's a good chance to get a high grade so that there's less pressure for your actual written exam. Hope that helps :smile:

So that's good. I went to Swanage too for my fieldwork. Nice area, but the place we stayed at was horrible!
Original post by styleman
If you are interested and willing to put in the work it is by no means hard. Only thing I found hard about geography was learning about glacial landform formation. However, many topics are a breeze and is just like GCSE, but a bit more detailed

Thanks. What grade are you predicted?
Thanks. What grade are you predicted?

Predicted an A
Do you know what exam board and optional topics would you be doing?
Original post by styleman
Predicted an A

That's awesome!
Original post by Treetop321
Do you know what exam board and optional topics would you be doing?

I don't know about optional topics but the exam board is AQA
I don't know about optional topics but the exam board is AQA

I've found Geography really interesting and not too difficult. There are a few parts of topics that I found a bit confusing (all of these were in the Hazards topic) but I think that was due to how my teacher taught it. Human geography is very straight forward but you need to know a lot of key terms and it helps knowing how to make links between different topics.

We were able to do our coursework on anything as long as it links to a part of the specification. I did it about regeneration and I had to collect the data in my own time. We did do a number of field trips but these will differ in each school. One was to the Holderness coast to see the case studies, one to a beach to help with people's coursework and another to a local town to practise human data collection methods.

Quick Reply

Latest