University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Camberwell illustration (BA) opinions

Hello beautiful people! Any opinions on Camberwell? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by klaragr
Hello beautiful people! Any opinions on Camberwell? Thanks :smile:

The main campus is exceptional now thanks to the new building and huge financial investment made there. Have you visited? Have you received an offer?
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by JanMay
The main campus is exceptional now thanks to the new building and huge financial investment made there. Have you visited? Have you received an offer?

I've visited twice - once for an open day and recently for an interview (got an offer, yaaay!). I'm still hesitating between Camberwell and Cambridge School of Art and heard quite negative reviews about UAL - mostly about the classes being too big, too little tutor time and the neighbourhood being quite sketchy. Can you maybe tell me a little bit about it so that I get a first-hand opinion?
Reply 3
Original post by klaragr
I've visited twice - once for an open day and recently for an interview (got an offer, yaaay!). I'm still hesitating between Camberwell and Cambridge School of Art and heard quite negative reviews about UAL - mostly about the classes being too big, too little tutor time and the neighbourhood being quite sketchy. Can you maybe tell me a little bit about it so that I get a first-hand opinion?

I don't study there but I know about the course and the area. A lot of the reputation with year numbers is based on the foundations at UAL, but some courses do have large intakes and illustration at Camberwell is one of them - around 100-150 students each year I think. Do you have numbers for Cambridge so that you can make a comparison? As to the neighbourhood being sketchy, that's subjective and depends on what you're used to. It's definitely not Cambridge though! Are you talking about The Ruskin? basically you're dealing with pros and cons in terms of life style, living costs, quality of tuition, amount of direct tuition, course specifications...there's no easy answer, ultimately it just depends on how you weigh it all up and what you prioritise.. Dig deeply into the stats and get as informed as possible in all areas rather than rumours etc. They're both good options so you'll be ok.
Reply 4
Original post by JanMay
I don't study there but I know about the course and the area. A lot of the reputation with year numbers is based on the foundations at UAL, but some courses do have large intakes and illustration at Camberwell is one of them - around 100-150 students each year I think. Do you have numbers for Cambridge so that you can make a comparison? As to the neighbourhood being sketchy, that's subjective and depends on what you're used to. It's definitely not Cambridge though! Are you talking about The Ruskin? basically you're dealing with pros and cons in terms of life style, living costs, quality of tuition, amount of direct tuition, course specifications...there's no easy answer, ultimately it just depends on how you weigh it all up and what you prioritise.. Dig deeply into the stats and get as informed as possible in all areas rather than rumours etc. They're both good options so you'll be ok.

Thank you! Yes, I meant Anglia Ruskin :smile: I've spoken to some students and the class sizes seem to be significantly smaller but I definitely do have to compare the costs and course specifications! Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by klaragr
Thank you! Yes, I meant Anglia Ruskin :smile: I've spoken to some students and the class sizes seem to be significantly smaller but I definitely do have to compare the costs and course specifications! Thanks.

Hey! I’m studying Illustration in Cambridge school of Art (2nd year) and my course is only 35 people at the moment! One of the bigger years actually, because it’s usually 20-30 people I’d say. It’s so nice to have a small course, you get to have more face to face with tutors and everyone knows each other so it feels homely! Also having your own desk space in a studio is really a bonus hah
Reply 6
Original post by gguoste
Hey! I’m studying Illustration in Cambridge school of Art (2nd year) and my course is only 35 people at the moment! One of the bigger years actually, because it’s usually 20-30 people I’d say. It’s so nice to have a small course, you get to have more face to face with tutors and everyone knows each other so it feels homely! Also having your own desk space in a studio is really a bonus hah

Thanks!! I've heard so many great opinions about Cambridge that I'm pretty sure about accepting my offer :smile: Are there any things which bother you or which you consider a disadvantage? I just want to take in the negative opinions (if there are any) as well as the positive ones :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by klaragr
Thanks!! I've heard so many great opinions about Cambridge that I'm pretty sure about accepting my offer :smile: Are there any things which bother you or which you consider a disadvantage? I just want to take in the negative opinions (if there are any) as well as the positive ones :smile:

Aw I’m glad! I’m sure you will really like it and when you will start your year I’ll be in the third so that’s exciting!

I can’t really complain about the uni or the city, I’ve had to move couple of times which was annoying but I always found a place and uni is great, especially dealing with all of the pandemic at the moment! I’m honestly really happy with my choice and I truly hope you will be too :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending