The Student Room Group

Cardiff University requirements

I am studying BTEC business and A-level Economics in sixth form. I’m currently in year 13 and as you know, exams are cancelled. I applied to Cardiff university to study education. My predicted grades are: C in economics and double distinction in business BTEC. My offer from Cardiff was B in economics and distinction merit in business BTEC. I was confident I could get a B in A-level as I was improving a lot. Now that teachers are giving us grades, I am not confident my Economics teachers will give me a B and I think they will give me a C instead. I am really worried that Cardiff won’t accept that. As the BTEC has been mostly coursework, I am very confident I will get double distinction which is higher than my offer. But as my A-level grade will be lower (I think), I am worried this will affect my chance of getting into the course. The IVAS points would be 18 points higher than if I got the grades from my offer but I didn’t think that matters to Cardiff as they are a good university. I know there’s nothing I can do and I’m sure it differs depending on the course and how full it is, but does anybody know if my chance of getting in with a grade lower in A-level will be lower?
Very likely Cardiff will accept you but nobody can guarantee than. Based on previous years Cardiff has accepted dropped grades and it is likely they will his year.
Original post by swanseajack1
Very likely Cardiff will accept you but nobody can guarantee than. Based on previous years Cardiff has accepted dropped grades and it is likely they will his year.

That gives me reassurance, thank you. I don’t want to get my hopes up too much other wise I will be extremely disappointed. But I could also call them or do the exam I’m September and re-apply. It’s just so frustrating that we can’t show our progress by doing the exam :frown:
Original post by Ellierjenkinson
That gives me reassurance, thank you. I don’t want to get my hopes up too much other wise I will be extremely disappointed. But I could also call them or do the exam I’m September and re-apply. It’s just so frustrating that we can’t show our progress by doing the exam :frown:

It is frustrating but there was always a chance you could have got a C in the exams if they had gone badly on the day - and of course you may be awarded a B by your school or Cardiff may be flexible. I presume you have a backup uni as Insurance to fall back on if necessary?
I know of someone who has been made an unconditional offer by Cardiff with actual grades of BCD from last year for an ABB course. Most universities, except the very top, accept students with a 1 or 2 grade drop except for things like Medicine and that is in a normal year. With the probability of reduced numbers this year if less overseas students come here and more take gap years it could well be greater. It is very unlikely there will be much difference in grades between teacher assessments and exams as the percentages are likely to be similar. What will happen is that many wont get their predicted grades and wouldnt have anyway with exams. The evidence shows that 75% dont reach their predicted grades.
Original post by harrysbar
It is frustrating but there was always a chance you could have got a C in the exams if they had gone badly on the day - and of course you may be awarded a B by your school or Cardiff may be flexible. I presume you have a backup uni as Insurance to fall back on if necessary?

Yes I do, my insurance choice is UWE in Bristol. I did get an offer from Bristol uni but declined that weirdly. I think if I don't get into Cardiff, I will reapply next year when I have taken the exam because I applied for 2021 anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending