The Student Room Group

MSc Industrial/Organisational/Work/Occupational Psychology applicants (2020)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Follow up:

I just called the Portico (IT) helpdesk (+44(0)20 7679 0637) , to check if they were open and their voicemail said that they are closed for Easter from the Wednesday the 8th until Wednesday the 15th of April.

So unless Portico is not operated by the IT department or we are hearing from Hannah directly via mail, I‘m not sure we will receive an answer before Wednesday the 15th April?
Original post by Levdm
Follow up:

I just called the Portico (IT) helpdesk (+44(0)20 7679 0637) , to check if they were open and their voicemail said that they are closed for Easter from the Wednesday the 8th until Wednesday the 15th of April.

So unless Portico is not operated by the IT department or we are hearing from Hannah directly via mail, I‘m not sure we will receive an answer before Wednesday the 15th April?

Thank you for sharing this :smile:
I applied to City, Nottingham, Loughborough, Coventry and Goldsmiths. Got offers from all the universities (they are all accredited courses). Worth noting that in order to call yourself an "Occupational Psychologist" you will need both a BPS accredited undergraduate (or an accredited conversion course) and MSc in Occupational/Organisaitonal/Work Psychology. Then you will progress to stage 2 and once you finished you can become an Occupational Psychologist.

Would've loved to apply to LSE and UCL but they aren't accredited courses and I want to leave the door open in the case I would like to become an Occupational Psychologist.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by psychstudent2020
I applied to City, Nottingham, Loughborough, Coventry and Goldsmiths. Got offers from all the universities (they are all accredited courses). Worth noting that in order to call yourself an "Occupational Psychologist" you will need both a BPS accredited undergraduate (or an accredited conversion course) and MSc in Occupational/Organisaitonal/Work Psychology. Then you will progress to stage 2 and once you finished you can become an Occupational Psychologist.

Would've loved to apply to LSE and UCL but they aren't accredited courses and I want to leave the door open in the case I would like to become an Occupational Psychologist.

How does that actually make a difference though? Does that mean you aren't eligible for certain jobs?
I applied to Goldsmiths, City, LSE and UCL. Got offer from all except waiting to hear from UCL
Original post by ResidentBadass
How does that actually make a difference though? Does that mean you aren't eligible for certain jobs?

I would assume that if you take an accredited course and become a Charted Occupational Psychologist you would have access to jobs that just a normal unaccredited/ accredited MSc wouldn't have access to as you are charted. You will also be legible for the Health professional Council and it just seems like you gain more qualifications in the process than just doing an MSc which may lead to better pay or other benefits. That’s not to say an unaccredited course is bad in anyways, it is purely on your own aims and what you want as an end goal. I think (but not too sure) that you can still practice as an occupational psychologist as a consultant of some sort, but you just won't have the title of Occupational Psychologist and access to few other jobs. There will be pros and cons such as how much more years of work that you will probably need to do to get the chartered status but for me it’s very much a personal choice to leave the door open and take an accredited course in the case that I really enjoy the course and want to further pursue my line of work to become an occupational psychologist. I think I just don't want to completely close the door and have to do another masters if I realise that I do want to become an Occupational Psychologist whilst taking an unaccredited course. It’s both timely and very very costly.

(Again, I am not an expert but just been doing reading up on the process online, so feel free to correct me!)
(edited 4 years ago)
Are you guys planning to take any online courses, readings, etc. before the programme starts in September?
Reply 27
Are you guys planning to take any online courses, readings, etc. before the programme starts in September?

I am! Have been. Not sure it helps getting into UCL as they don’t know I’m doing it lol. I didn’t mention any of it in my personal statement as I didn’t know in November I was going to. Taking a couple of MOOC’s and am currently enrolled in a course at Harvard. How about you?
Original post by Levdm
I am! Have been. Not sure it helps getting into UCL as they don’t know I’m doing it lol. I didn’t mention any of it in my personal statement as I didn’t know in November I was going to. Taking a couple of MOOC’s and am currently enrolled in a course at Harvard. How about you?

Which ones are you taking? I'm currently taking Organisational Behaviour: Know Your People and Managing the Company of the Future on Coursera. I'm looking to take one about statistics as well. I didn't mention it in my statement either, but I basically just want to get into the groove of studying (since it's been been a year since I graduated from my undergraduate programme.)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 29
Which ones are you taking? I'm currently taking Organisational Behaviour: Know Your People and Managing the Company of the Future on Coursera. I'm looking to take one about statistics as well. I didn't mention it in my statement either, but I basically just want to get into the groove of studying (since it's been been a year since o graduated from my undergraduate programme.)

Yes exactly! Same for me. Taking ‘Knowledge Management and Big Data’ from the Hong Kong PolyTech University on EdX, a psychology course by Yale on Coursera and ‘Negotiation Mastery’ at Harvard Business School online. It’s a lot but it helps getting back into study mode, like you said! Your course sounds awesome and a great way to prep for UCL, who created it?
Has anyone applied to UCL and if so have you heard back???
Original post by Levdm
Yes exactly! Same for me. Taking ‘Knowledge Management and Big Data’ from the Hong Kong PolyTech University on EdX, a psychology course by Yale on Coursera and ‘Negotiation Mastery’ at Harvard Business School online. It’s a lot but it helps getting back into study mode, like you said! Your course sounds awesome and a great way to prep for UCL, who created it?

Managing the Company of the Future is by University of London (and currently free along with the certificate!). Organisational Behaviour: Know Your People is by Macquarie University. Both of these are on Coursera.
Hi,I applied for Organisational and Social Psychology at LSE and for Industrial/Organisational and Business Psychology at UCL.Had my LSE offer for a while now, now I also received my offer from UCL. I am leaning heavily towards LSE, but I might be biased due to my background in business, where LSE is considered very highly.The programmes themselves seem very similar though. For EU citizens UCL is significantly cheaper. What do you guys think? Anyone in a similar situation?
Original post by dman4210
Hi,I applied for Organisational and Social Psychology at LSE and for Industrial/Organisational and Business Psychology at UCL.Had my LSE offer for a while now, now I also received my offer from UCL. I am leaning heavily towards LSE, but I might be biased due to my background in business, where LSE is considered very highly.The programmes themselves seem very similar though. For EU citizens UCL is significantly cheaper. What do you guys think? Anyone in a similar situation?

I applied to LSE and UCL as well. I spoke to a few people who've studied both the programmes and it seems that LSE's programme is more theoretical and academic. After I reviewed the course module again, I realised that that's why the programme name includes "social psychology." Now I genuinely love social psychology but it seemed that if you really intend to get into a career like consulting, UCL is better. If you're looking to get into academic research after this, LSE is better. This totally depends on what you want to do next. This was a huge deal breaker for me, which is why I decided to go with UCL.

As for reputation, UCL is ranked better than LSE in most league tables though LSE is close behind also pretty well known.
Reply 34

Hi whats your background like?
I have offers from LSE, UCL, City and Goldsmiths and pretty sure I’m going to go for UCL! Interested to hear who else is planning on going to UCL :smile:
Original post by Levdm
Hi whats your background like?

Bachelor in Business Administration from the Netherlands (c um laude)
A few internships in banking and consulting

Interesting to hear that UCL is that well regarded. Rankings are one thing, but at least outside of the UK the reputation of LSE with recruiters in banking/ consulting is unmatched.
Original post by Psychstudent94
I have offers from LSE, UCL, City and Goldsmiths and pretty sure I’m going to go for UCL! Interested to hear who else is planning on going to UCL :smile:

I am!
Reply 38
Bachelor in Business Administration from the Netherlands (c um laude)
A few internships in banking and consulting

Interesting to hear that UCL is that well regarded. Rankings are one thing, but at least outside of the UK the reputation of LSE with recruiters in banking/ consulting is unmatched.

I have the exact same background. Whats your link with psychology?
Original post by Levdm
I have the exact same background. Whats your link with psychology?

Just read your last post. Sorry to hear it didnt work out. What's Plan B? And what Uni did you go to?

I was working on a huge HR transformation project during one of my consulting internships and it is just the general direction I want to work in. Don't have a tangible background in psychology though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending