1.9 high index glasses

Watch
Cool as lce
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm trying to order 1.9 high index glasses but I am only able to find one website that sells them online? The website I found is called thinlenses.

Does anyone know of any other websites?
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They are not always the thinnest as they come in very little variety of base curves and sometimes you can make a 1.74 thinner. In addition they are mineral lenses which means they are very heavy.
Cool as lce
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kathy89)
They are not always the thinnest as they come in very little variety of base curves and sometimes you can make a 1.74 thinner. In addition they are mineral lenses which means they are very heavy.
I was hoping a lighter frame will make up for the heavier lenses. I've not come across any online websites that specify base curve.
Kathy89
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cool as lce)
I was hoping a lighter frame will make up for the heavier lenses. I've not come across any online websites that specify base curve.
but this will also make the lenses more fragile and prone to be hit and break.
Cool as lce
Rep:
?
but this will also make the lenses more fragile and prone to be hit and break.
That's sort of the case with all glasses, but I understand what you mean. I don't really intend on using for sport activities or anything just general use.

Apparently 1.9 high index lenses have been around for over 10 years yet they're so difficult to find.
Kathy89
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's sort of the case with all glasses, but I understand what you mean. I don't really intend on using for sport activities or anything just general use.

Apparently 1.9 high index lenses have been around for over 10 years yet they're so difficult to find.
In my 6 years experience in optical stores I've seen only one family of Extremely high myopic people who used 1.9 lenses, there where a few more who used 1.8, but it is so uncommon and useful only for prescription over -15.
Here there are 4 suppliers who supply lenses like that.
Cool as lce
Rep:
?
In my 6 years experience in optical stores I've seen only one family of Extremely high myopic people who used 1.9 lenses, there where a few more who used 1.8, but it is so uncommon and useful only for prescription over -15.
Here there are 4 suppliers who supply lenses like that.
You probably remember the family well and I could probably relate to the family members. If I were to spend extra on getting high index lenses, I would want the absolute best because we only have two eyes to take care of in our lifetime.

Did the family you worked with have any issues over time? I know reading about 1.9 high index is daunting because so few people have them and even just going YouTube... you see very few videos of them.

When you say useful for only -15, do you mean it wouldn't benefit a -10 at all or do you just mean ideally -15?
Kathy89
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You probably remember the family well and I could probably relate to the family members. If I were to spend extra on getting high index lenses, I would want the absolute best because we only have two eyes to take care of in our lifetime.

Did the family you worked with have any issues over time? I know reading about 1.9 high index is daunting because so few people have them and even just going YouTube... you see very few videos of them.

When you say useful for only -15, do you mean it wouldn't benefit a -10 at all or do you just mean ideally -15?
One of the daughters in that family is sort of a friend of mine, She is legaly blind, just as most of her family so it is pretty much the best vision correction they could have, the lenses are very clear (much better than 1.74 as they say). The father there got 1.9 progressive lenses and although they are not a freeform and a pretty basic design he got used to it pretty quick. So optical-wise I guess they are good or even better than 1.74. But they are very heavy. I can't imagine wearing such a heavy glasses.

for -10 1.74 is enough, you can use a 0 (or 0.5) base for aspheric 1.74 black for a free-form lens and it will be even thinner than a 1.9 lens if the frame is not huge, because you can't make a thin center in a mineral lens. So for the same (if not less) price you can get a thinner lens with a 1.74.
Alexiya1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
PLease read, maybe you did now something about glasses https://lornemarrfitafter45.ca/choose-apparel-crossfit/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise