The Student Room Group

Silent treatment

Boyfriend does things that he knows upset / hurt / annoy me. Because he has done things these things many times, I get annoyed when he keeps doing it. I get slightly cross at him, for doing bad things. Then he decides to air me indefinitely. Is this appropriate behaviour? He is punishing me for calling him out on his **** and abusing the power he has over me, imo
Don't allow this guy to waste any more of your time and energy. :smile:
He's resorting to a form of mind games that often escalates to the point of psychological warfare multiple times a day.
Intended to make you emotionally dependent upon him, very fearful of doing anything that displeases him and leads to his approval- affection and communication all being withdrawn.
He is not worth the hassle.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Don't allow this guy to waste any more of your time and energy. :smile:
He's resorting to a form of mind games that often escalates to the point of psychological warfare multiple times a day.
Intended to make you emotionally dependent upon him, very fearful of doing anything that displeases him and leads to his approval- affection and communication all being withdrawn.
He is not worth the hassle.

Thank you for your response. I have called him up on it and asked why and he cannot give a logicsl explanation. I am confused as to why he does this though. He has a lot of friends and normal relationships with them. Is it likely he is doing it deliberately or is it possible he does it unintentionally? I feel quite alone
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for your response. I have called him up on it and asked why and he cannot give a logicsl explanation. I am confused as to why he does this though. He has a lot of friends and normal relationships with them. Is it likely he is doing it deliberately or is it possible he does it unintentionally? I feel quite alone

You are better off on your own than in this toxic relationship. Stop thinking about why he did this, block him everywhere and concentrate on you :heart:

Most likely deliberately.
Does he treat women friends differently to males mates?
It could be that he has lower tolerance for women, switches off his usual good manners and replaces them with the silent treatment.
Boyfriend does things that he knows upset / hurt / annoy me. Because he has done things these things many times, I get annoyed when he keeps doing it. I get slightly cross at him, for doing bad things. Then he decides to air me indefinitely. Is this appropriate behaviour? He is punishing me for calling him out on his **** and abusing the power he has over me, imo

Dump him, simples.
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
You are better off on your own than in this toxic relationship. Stop thinking about why he did this, block him everywhere and concentrate on you :heart:

Thank you :smile: I just feel like I won't be able to move on properly because I'll always wonder why....

Original post by londonmyst
Most likely deliberately.
Does he treat women friends differently to males mates?
It could be that he has lower tolerance for women, switches off his usual good manners and replaces them with the silent treatment.

No he is consistently nice to everyone else. He used to be great to me, even before we went out (saying I'm so sorry your ex was such an idiot you didn't deserve it etc), he turned and changed with me because I wasn't quite as in love with him as he was :/ since then his behaviour has just gotten worse. I sort of stayed because I hoped this guy I fell in love with would return?
Reply 7
Thank you :smile: I just feel like I won't be able to move on properly because I'll always wonder why....

No he is consistently nice to everyone else. He used to be great to me, even before we went out (saying I'm so sorry your ex was such an idiot you didn't deserve it etc), he turned and changed with me because I wasn't quite as in love with him as he was :/ since then his behaviour has just gotten worse. I sort of stayed because I hoped this guy I fell in love with would return?

Your closure is to think what a scumbag he is and break up with him. You won't get a proper answer on why he behaved like he did, he'll probably try shifting blame on to you. Your boyfriend sounds like a PUA, he acted kindly to you and once he'd got his foot in the door he thinks he's got it made and can treat you as he wants. He's probably done it before and will do it again. Even Ted Bundy could be charming....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending