Has mental health been forgotten about during this crisis?

Watch
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Mental health even during good times has always been treat as little importance or priority by government and prejudice and phobia by some of the public who have little time or consideration for sufferers.
There are without doubt thousands of people suffering severe mental health crisis during this lockdown, people who had issues prior to the crisis, have they been forgotten about?
There are people who have already taken their lives out of fear and not being able to cope with lockdown. Will those figures be added to the CV death toll as indirect victims?
When this crisis ends will there be help for mental health? Or will mental health once again become an even lower priority?
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 1 year ago
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've seen a lot of people and organisations talking about the impact of the pandemic on mh (if that's what you mean?) but maybe just due to circles I operate in.
I'm not entirely sure about gov but they did release this: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-wellbeing
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mental health facilities remain open for both inpatient and outpatient.

The current regulations on the restriction of movement makes allowances for leaving the house for the purpose of;

"(m) to avoid injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm. "

It could be reasonably argued that leaving your house in order to improve or mitigate issues relating to your mental health could fall under the illness category.
username402722
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think it has been forgotten, indeed the daily exercise is probably more about mental health than anything else.

Though I do share the thought that mental health will be low priority once this pandemic is over. If for many people there will have been at least 12 weeks mainly spent at home, it will be quite an adjustment to go back to 'normal' life. Things such as basic face to face conversation are something many people struggle with even before this pandemic, never mind if they have had 12 weeks without it outside their household.

The other mental health aspect that will be very difficult for many to deal with is bereavement, for those who lost a loved one and were unable to have a traditional funeral.
BeanBeliever
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not forgotten. Like many services physical or mental, resources are stretched and non-emergency matters shelved so to speak. Mental health emergencies should be unaffected. I imagine this lockdown will highlight the growing need for more funding for mental health. Afterwards, however, I fear funds will be scarce
MrMusician95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, the reason the government are allowing us to exercise outside once a day it for our mental health.
BeanBeliever
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol. I was referring to people with on going mental problems receiving treatment in the community.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not sure, I feel they would probably only focus on emergencies right now but to be honest that is where the main focus of MH services tend to be as they treat people once they are in crisis instead of trying to prevent it.

(Original post by DiddyDec)
Mental health facilities remain open for both inpatient and outpatient.
I hope this is the case for mine I have a psychiatrist appointment at the end of this month and since it was already pushed back from January I hope they don't cancel it
GPs are still doing appointments but over the phone instead (that's how I got this months meds) so maybe the psychiatrist will do the same I'm not sure. Should ring to find out.

Also moved to Mental Health OP
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
It definitely has
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
I hope this is the case for mine I have a psychiatrist appointment at the end of this month and since it was already pushed back from January I hope they don't cancel it
GPs are still doing appointments but over the phone instead (that's how I got this months meds) so maybe the psychiatrist will do the same I'm not sure. Should ring to find out.
I live opposite a mental health outpatient place and they are still getting patients visiting.
Casmo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not that easy to stay at home all the time but it's possible to spend time with benefits. For example, it's a perfect time to think about own health and start exercising every day. Also, it's important to eat healthy food and take vitamins (I use CBD oil as well). Make sure you sleep 8 hours a day and go to bed at the same time every day.
Last edited by Casmo; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads