beanskul
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I want to take psychology in college this September, but I'm struggling to decide whether i want to take A-level psychology or Applied psychology as I don't fully understand the difference. Any help?
username5228528
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by beanskul)
I want to take psychology in college this September, but I'm struggling to decide whether i want to take A-level psychology or Applied psychology as I don't fully understand the difference. Any help?
Hi, I found this information from
https://www.psychologyschoolguide.ne...ed-psychology/
It has nothing to do with A level psychology, but shows the main differences between the two. Hope this helps!

The main difference between research psychology and applied psychology is that the main function of a research psychologist is to conduct experiments, psychological research studies, and observational studies, while applied psychologists applies psychological theories, principles, concepts, techniques, strategies, approaches, and methods from their branches of psychology (i.e. sports, family, health, social, school, etc.) to their practices. In other words, an applied psychologist uses the psychological resources available to him or her to treat clients and patients experiencing psychological disorders, mental illnesses, adjustment disorders, and emotional distress. Every practicing psychologist uses applied psychology.

Also, research psychologist typically conduct their experiments in research laboratories with participants, while applied psychologist treat clients in clinics, mental health hospitals, social service agencies, schools, etc. They also teach at universities and colleges. Truth-be-told, research psychologists also use applied psychology. How? Well, research psychologists have to have something to base their theories, hypotheses, results, and experiments on. The foundation comes from the applied principles in their branches of psychology. Furthremore, research psychologists tend to make more, annually, then applied psychology, but it largely depends on the branch of psychology, the demand for services, and the location.
Last edited by username5228528; 6 months ago
beanskul
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous856)
Hi, I found this information from
https://www.psychologyschoolguide.ne...ed-psychology/
It has nothing to do with A level psychology, but shows the main differences between the two. Hope this helps!

The main difference between research psychology and applied psychology is that the main function of a research psychologist is to conduct experiments, psychological research studies, and observational studies, while applied psychologists applies psychological theories, principles, concepts, techniques, strategies, approaches, and methods from their branches of psychology (i.e. sports, family, health, social, school, etc.) to their practices. In other words, an applied psychologist uses the psychological resources available to him or her to treat clients and patients experiencing psychological disorders, mental illnesses, adjustment disorders, and emotional distress. Every practicing psychologist uses applied psychology.

Also, research psychologist typically conduct their experiments in research laboratories with participants, while applied psychologist treat clients in clinics, mental health hospitals, social service agencies, schools, etc. They also teach at universities and colleges. Truth-be-told, research psychologists also use applied psychology. How? Well, research psychologists have to have something to base their theories, hypotheses, results, and experiments on. The foundation comes from the applied principles in their branches of psychology. Furthremore, research psychologists tend to make more, annually, then applied psychology, but it largely depends on the branch of psychology, the demand for services, and the location.
Thanks for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed