username5238660
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Your body moves substances like glucose and oxygen into our blood.
These are both needed for aerobic respiration and we use them to get ATP which our body uses for energy.
This ATP is useful for most things, but what about growing?
What do we need to grow, and how do we get these substances?
adzz.s1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Mitosis and apoptosis is responsible for cell division and growth. Hormones regulate the rate of these processes.
Last edited by adzz.s1; 6 months ago
username5238660
Rep:
?
(Original post by adzz.s1)
Mitosis and apoptosis is responsible for cell division and growth. Hormones regulate the rate of these processes.
Ty!!
cathasatail
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Further to that, there are loads of additional processes required for growth.
A personal favourite of mine is angiogenesis (the growth of new blood vessels). This can be seen clearly in cancer- you get rapid mitosis and apoptosis, and a stupendously high rate of blood vessel formation. (I should note that in tumours these vessels are different from those formed during "normal" growth and development).
But a regulated occurrence of angiogenesis in normal growth supplies the "growing" (thanks to mitosis) areas of the body with the glucose and oxygen that they need to survive.

The key substance that regulates this is VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor). As you get mitosis, some of those cells will find themselves further away from existing blood vessels, therefore they don't receive as much oxygen (becoming hypoxic) as cells closer to these vessels. These relatively hypoxic cells produce VEGF. VEGF stimulates new sprouts to form from these existing blood vessels --> forming new vessels closer to the cells that were further away. End result: more oxygen/glucose/etc provided to these cells.

I hope that helps
Last edited by cathasatail; 6 months ago
username5238660
Rep:
?
(Original post by cathasatail)
Further to that, there are loads of additional processes required for growth.
A personal favourite of mine is angiogenesis (the growth of new blood vessels). This can be seen clearly in cancer- you get rapid mitosis and apoptosis, and a stupendously high rate of blood vessel formation. (I should note that in tumours these vessels are different from those formed during "normal" growth and development).
But a regulated occurrence of angiogenesis in normal growth supplies the "growing" (thanks to mitosis) areas of the body with the glucose and oxygen that they need to survive.

The key substance that regulates this is VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor). As you get mitosis, some of those cells will find themselves further away from existing blood vessels, therefore they don't receive as much oxygen (becoming hypoxic) as cells closer to these vessels. These relatively hypoxic cells produce VEGF. VEGF stimulates new sprouts to form from these existing blood vessels --> forming new vessels closer to the cells that were further away. End result: more oxygen/glucose/etc provided to these cells.

I hope that helps
tysm!! and i really appreciate the fact that u spent ur time writing that to help me out. THANK YOUUU!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (42)
36.21%
No (60)
51.72%
I don't know (14)
12.07%

Watched Threads