The Student Room Group

Alternative offer from Cardiff. Should I email them to reconsider?

okay, I am applying for post graduation in AI, and I just got something called an "Alternative offer" from Cardiff University.

it said they have courses better prepping me for the software industry rather than give me a position in the course I chose.

I have a feeling there is a misunderstanding somewhere, as I have clearly stated in my statement of purpose speaking about the experience I have in the software industry.

I feel it would be pointless doing a course which would prep me for the industry again, as I already work in the industry. I would rather continue working to gain experience.

my question is, should I email them to reconsider my offer? or should I just drop it? it is my 5th choice but an offer is still an offer.
Original post by shashaank94
okay, I am applying for post graduation in AI, and I just got something called an "Alternative offer" from Cardiff University.

it said they have courses better prepping me for the software industry rather than give me a position in the course I chose.

I have a feeling there is a misunderstanding somewhere, as I have clearly stated in my statement of purpose speaking about the experience I have in the software industry.

I feel it would be pointless doing a course which would prep me for the industry again, as I already work in the industry. I would rather continue working to gain experience.

my question is, should I email them to reconsider my offer? or should I just drop it? it is my 5th choice but an offer is still an offer.

It would be helpful to know the course you applied for and the course you were offered. Did you meet the entry requirements for the original course?

You could contact the university to discuss however it's unlikely that they would change their mind once a decision has been made.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte's Web
It would be helpful to know the course you applied for and the course you were offered. Did you meet the entry requirements for the original course?

You could contact the university to discuss however it's unlikely that they would change their mind once a decision has been made.

I applied for MSc in Artificial Intelligence, and I was offered an MSc in Computing. MSc in Computing has core subjects that I have work experience on, so there is not much I can get from that MSc. Yes, I met their criteria. I hold a 2:1 honors degree in an equivalent field to computer science and I have 4 years of work experience in IT with 2 years of it focussed on AI.
Original post by shashaank94
I applied for MSc in Artificial Intelligence, and I was offered an MSc in Computing. MSc in Computing has core subjects that I have work experience on, so there is not much I can get from that MSc. Yes, I met their criteria. I hold a 2:1 honors degree in an equivalent field to computer science and I have 4 years of work experience in IT with 2 years of it focussed on AI.

It may be worth contacting them to discuss. It seems they feel the Computing course aligns better with your future plans so it may be worth having a discussion with the course leader to find out why they feel this is the case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending