Can I take my exams in Autum 2020 and still go to uni? HELP

Watch
amber2106
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am an external candidate, with personal tutors for my subjects. I was planning to take my alevels at a college but due to the circumstances that is not happening. I don't know what to do. I took a year out to re sit my exams and improve my grades but now if this means I will have to wait another year to go to university... I don't know if can take another year out .I know its very late but Is it still possible for me ask my tutors for predicted grades and apply to uni? And can I still take my exams in Autum of 2020 and go uni this year? or would it be better to just go by my predicted grades?
Any help appreciated 🙏🙏
sab0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm retaking A-levels too. I don't think you'll be able to ask tutors to make/change predicted grades anymore (my sixth form have said that they won't respond to requests to change predicted grades), however there will be appeal exams as soon as schools/sixth forms re-open (September onwards) for people who aren't happy with calculated grades - I'll definitely be sitting those (bad grades in the past). Don't worry about not going to uni for 2020 entry though as loads of people will be in the same situation, and unis should be flexible around students sitting those appeal exams if calculated grades are less than required grades (also means more £££ for them)
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by sab0)
I'm retaking A-levels too. I don't think you'll be able to ask tutors to make/change predicted grades anymore (my sixth form have said that they won't respond to requests to change predicted grades), however there will be appeal exams as soon as schools/sixth forms re-open (September onwards) for people who aren't happy with calculated grades - I'll definitely be sitting those (bad grades in the past). Don't worry about not going to uni for 2020 entry though as loads of people will be in the same situation, and unis should be flexible around students sitting those appeal exams if calculated grades are less than required grades (also means more £££ for them)
OK thanks that's reassuring. So does that mean because eventhough those are appeal exams and I have no predicted grades, it still counts for me/external candidates and universities, provided you let them know would be more lenient to you and u could potentially go to uni some months after exams?
Thanks again
sab0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by amber2106)
OK thanks that's reassuring. So does that mean because eventhough those are appeal exams and I have no predicted grades, it still counts for me/external candidates and universities, provided you let them know would be more lenient to you and u could potentially go to uni some months after exams?
Thanks again
Yes the appeal exams would count just as much as normal A-level exams. Even though calculated grades are 'taking everything into account', at the end of the day they won't be a 100% reflection of your true ability, and unis know this. Having predicted grades or not won't affect appeal exam results, so don't worry if you aren't able to get predicted grades, or have anything else to show exam boards. Only thing that matters with appeal exams will be your results. So as long as you continue revising and don't leave it last minute (starting after the calculated grades are given), you'll have nothing to worry about.

The only bad thing that might come of this is ****ty calculated grades that are below what's required from conditional offers. But even then you'll have the chance to showcase all of your hard work over the past year in the appeal exams, and then go to uni shortly afterwards. Also don't worry about (maybe) going to uni slightly later than the normal September time. Everyone going to uni this year will be affected by this, so term dates will be pushed backwards for everyone.
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by sab0)
Yes the appeal exams would count just as much as normal A-level exams. Even though calculated grades are 'taking everything into account', at the end of the day they won't be a 100% reflection of your true ability, and unis know this. Having predicted grades or not won't affect appeal exam results, so don't worry if you aren't able to get predicted grades, or have anything else to show exam boards. Only thing that matters with appeal exams will be your results. So as long as you continue revising and don't leave it last minute (starting after the calculated grades are given), you'll have nothing to worry about.

The only bad thing that might come of this is ****ty calculated grades that are below what's required from conditional offers. But even then you'll have the chance to showcase all of your hard work over the past year in the appeal exams, and then go to uni shortly afterwards. Also don't worry about (maybe) going to uni slightly later than the normal September time. Everyone going to uni this year will be affected by this, so term dates will be pushed backwards for everyone.
You have no idea how much stress and anxiety that's taken off my shoulders. Glad to know that if I keep up on the revsion and achieve the grades required for my uni I can still get in and not wait till sep 2021 thank you so much!!
Last edited by amber2106; 1 year ago
sab0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have no idea how much stress and anxiety that's taken off my shoulders. Glad to know that if I keep up on the revsion and achieve the grades required for my uni I can still get in and not wait till sep 2021 thank you so much!!
Just keep in mind that unis are told to be 'flexible' - most would be flexible and allow students taking the Autumn appeal exams to have a delayed start for 2020 entry (even more likely for the fact that there'll be a massive drop in international students this year, and lots of money for unis). However there might be some higher-ranked unis which won't allow for a delayed start and might require 'Autumn-appeal students' to defer entry to 2021 - I think UCL is an example.

But these are unprecedented times and so everyone has a responsibility in taking unprecedented measures (e.g. exams being cancelled, national sports events cancelled, etc). No one knows how long the lockdown/social distancing rules will be in place for, possibly through September (start of uni under normal circumstances). Along with the high chance that a significant number of A-level students (including retakes) won't be happy with calculated grades and will have to do the appeal exams, I don't see why unis won't move timetables/term dates backwards which therefore means, for students, nothing is actually being delayed.

This is all speculation though and the best thing you can do is keep checking on the latest updates by UCAS, Ofqual, etc and more importantly keep revising and preparing for appeal exams. If calculated grades turn out good, all is well. If not, atleast you will be prepared for appeal exams. And yeah, whatever happens just stay in a positive spirit. Panicking about certain things not happening won't bring any benefit
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As I posted on your other thread the minister stated they hoped September exams would be marked by Christmas. This is way too late to start this year and would mean being deferred to next year. UCL have already said this and it is only a matter of time before others follow suit. The big unknowns are when the coronavirus issue is going to be sorted and how flexible universities are going to be. The numbers achieving grades are going to be very similar to previous years. There will be some people who gain from this system and there will be losers as well but the bulk of students will end up with the same grades they would have got anyway. If a school or college predicts 5 A* students and that is what they get every year then there is every likelyhood the top 5 will get those grades this year. These will be the best 5 according to the teachers and will likely be the 5 who would have achieved that. There are many who try to say that they didnt work throughout the year did badly in their mocks and would achieve far better in exams. That really isnt likely and those students would need to take exams in September or later and go next year.

The reality is that every year universities accept many students who dont reach their offers and this is likely to continue this year and if the numbers of overseas students taking up their places occurs this will happen even more this year. Nearly all universities other than the chosen few or for places like Medicine and Dentistry accept students with a 1 or 2 grade drop typically accepting BBB for an AAB course. Some accept bigger drops. Universities are likely to be even more flexible this year in order to replace the overseas students that dont take up their places.

The impact of these will be that more students will be accepted by their firm or insurance choices and those that arent will have far lower grades than predicted. The major issue is that 75% of students dont reach their predicted grades and that is likely to be the case exams or not. Teachers have over predicted to try and get students into their chosen courses. There are statements on here every year stating this.

If, as Universities UK believe will happen, large numbers of overseas students dont come here then there will be more spaces to fill and more students will get into their chosen universities and less will be sitting in September.
Imfukd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Idk where you got your info that students taking autumn exams will be able to start uni in 2020. Also the ‘good’ unis aren’t flexible, I contacted all of mine and every response was along the lines of “in the case you don’t receive your grades we will make your offer valid until next year” - in other words: “sry mate try again next year”. (for some more context: i might not receive a grade because i’ve self studied my courses and have no evidence other than a few official mocks woth my private centre)

Taking exams in autumn means not receiving grades in time for the start of semester, but pls correct me if i’m wrong and refer me to where you get your info from.

This grading situation making me feel like im playing russian roullette with 5 bullets loaded.
Last edited by Imfukd; 1 year ago
Platypie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Imfukd)
Idk where you got your info that students taking autumn exams will be able to start uni in 2020. Also the ‘good’ unis aren’t flexible, I contacted all of mine and every response was along the lines of “in the case you don’t receive your grades we will make your offer valid until next year” - in other words: “sry mate try again next year”. (for some more context: i might not receive a grade because i’ve self studied my courses and have no evidence other than a few official mocks woth my private centre)

Taking exams in autumn means not receiving grades in time for the start of semester, but pls correct me if i’m wrong and refer me to where you get your info from.

This grading situation making me feel like im playing russian roullette with 5 bullets loaded.
You've honestly summed up my whole thought process around these autumn exams. I'm going through a major crisis right now of deciding between taking the resits and deferring a year, or just going straight to uni. I do feel as though I could do better than what I was predicted but at this point I just want my life to start going again - I don't want the pain and hassle of waiting a year to go to uni because of circumstances that were out of my control.
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Imfukd)

The reason people thought that universities would be more flexible than they actually are being is due to the government, which, yet again, promised things they had no control over.
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by Treetop321)
The reason people thought that universities would be more flexible than they actually are being is due to the government, which, yet again, promised things they had no control over.
So essentially. We r f****d and its out of our control. I so would have expected unis to be flexible and delay uni till January cuz some. Unis acc do courses in Jan as well, especially if there is a reduction in international students. Its jus so unfair. Guess I was stupid to think they would take us into account
OGGUS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sure you can start uni in January as well I know my uni the first years might all be starting in January
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by OGGUS)
I'm sure you can start uni in January as well I know my uni the first years might all be starting in January
Omg really! If you don't mind me asking. What uni did u apply to??.
OGGUS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Omg really! If you don't mind me asking. What uni did u apply to??.
Aston and I know Coventry does that prior to covid-19
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by OGGUS)
Aston and I know Coventry does that prior to covid-19
Thanks so much for letting me know. Wish more uni's did this
OGGUS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks so much for letting me know. Wish more uni's did this
They do (as in more unis do this too)

Just a few that i know cuz i live in the midlands
Last edited by OGGUS; 1 year ago
Amararara
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The autumn exams aren’t appeal exams- just an opportunity to sit the exam and get a real grade and not an allocated grade- should be a separate right of appeal as well! But limited to data errors
(Original post by sab0)
Thanks again
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by OGGUS)
They do (as in more unis do this too)

Just a few that i know cuz i live in the midlands
I'll look it thanks!! 😊can't seem to find ANY so far tho. Did u just type :January start courses at university '. Can't seem to find a lot of info
OGGUS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'll look it thanks!! 😊can't seem to find ANY so far tho. Did u just type :January start courses at university '. Can't seem to find a lot of info
hat course are you looking into?

it depends on the uni, and what grades would you likely achieve?
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by OGGUS)
hat course are you looking into?

it depends on the uni, and what grades would you likely achieve?
Law. Between AAB Or ABB fingers crossed 🤞.
Wbu
Last edited by amber2106; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (7)
50%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (1)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (6)
42.86%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads