john262812
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, I’m struggling with 2.2(programming techniques)
I’ve got a 9 on paper 1 however I don’t know the best way to revise and fully understand this topic.
Thanks
InspiredPleb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey there!

Huh, that's strange.. paper 1 has so much content to memorise people usually do worse. Paper 2 is a lot more application than memorisation, so maybe that's what you're struggling with?

I'm sure you're ok with memorisation based on your 9, so here are the things in the paper you can just memorise. Mostly just definitions and little explanations:

Computational thinking
abstraction, decomposition, algorithmic thinking.
The 3 Programming Constructs
sequence, selection, iteration
Functions / Procedures
what are they and what's the difference?
Defensive design
what is it, how is it done by : input sanitisation/validation, planning for contingencies, anticipating misuse, authentication.
Maintainability
how is it done by : comments, indentation
Testing
What's it's purpose, the types: iterative, final/terminal.
Data rep
Why is data represented in binary? What are check digits? What is an overflow error?
High / Low level languages
What's the use for each, the difference, examples?
Translators
What's their purpose?
Assemblers, compilers, interpreters
Their characteristics?
IDE's (integrated development environment)
The common tools : editors, error diagnostics, run time environment, translators.
Character Representation
How are binary codes used to represent characters? What's the term character set? How does ASCII, extended ASCII and Unicode differ in terms of bits per character and the number of characters which can be represented.
Image Representation
How are images represented in pixels, represented in binary? What's metadata? Explain the effect of colour depth and resolution on the size of an image file.
Sound
How is sound sampled and stored in a digital format? How do factors (sampling intervals, bit rate, sampling frequency, sample size) affect the size of a sound file and the quality of it's playback?
Compression
Why do we use it? The difference between lossy and lossless.

Right, so there are the things you can revise just by how you do by paper 1 : get out a textbook (if you don't have one I have a reliable one here) and learn it, keep going over it in revision cards, do questions.

As for the things which you'll struggle to revise just by reading over them, well... They're the majority of the paper. I can't go through them one by one, but I'll leave a topic list here for you to check out all the stuff that comes up on Paper 2 (Paper 1s there too if you need it). Here's some common stuff that you can't remember just by reading over I think everyone struggles with :

Hexadecimal conversions
Once you get the hang of it, you've got it. Just use the techniques in the book I've got here (don't worry, it's a free download, not pirated!) and practice, practice, practice!
SQL to search for data
Remember the 4 key bits to 'query' a database : SELECT, *, FROM, WHERE. Have a read over how to do it in the book. Practice this here https://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp
How to do the sorting algorithms
Bitesize is actually pretty decent to find out how to do them. Just make up a list and practice by doing bubble, merge and sort on them.
Everything to do with pseudocode
This is most people's weak point, and they make up the majority of the paper : correcting it comes up a lot but the questions are usually only worth like 3 marks. But those 6 (?) marker questions that come up a lot saying 'make an algorithm, to...." you'll want to use pseudocode ( a lot of people find flow diagrams to make algorithms easier, but it's hard to get a good mark with those ). I've attached a great summary poster so you can learn how to do all the different stuff in code you need to know, and you can then just practice by doing exam questions.

As I said, this list isn't exhaustive (the topic list that I've attached is though!) but I hope it's useful. I got a 9 on Paper 2 in my mocks (8 on Paper 1 ) so don't hesitate to message me if anything's still confusing to you. I've got too much time on my hands at the moment haha!

Edit: I'm having problems with uploading the PDF workbook. If you don't have one at home, go to the Craig 'n Dave YouTube channel and find the OCR GCSE computing videos. They are really boring, ngl, but their explanations include everything.
Last edited by InspiredPleb; 1 year ago
john262812
Rep:
?
(Original post by InspiredPleb)
Hey there!

Huh, that's strange.. paper 1 has so much content to memorise people usually do worse. Paper 2 is a lot more application than memorisation, so maybe that's what you're struggling with?

I'm sure you're ok with memorisation based on your 9, so here are the things in the paper you can just memorise. Mostly just definitions and little explanations:

Computational thinking
Functions / Procedures
Defensive design
what is it, how is it done by : input sanitisation/validation, planning for contingencies, anticipating misuse, authentication.
Maintainability
Testing
Data rep
Why is data represented in binary? What are check digits? What is an overflow error?
Translators
What's their purpose?
Their characteristics?
The common tools : editors, error diagnostics, run time environment, translators.
Character Representation
How are binary codes used to represent characters? What's the term character set? How does ASCII, extended ASCII and Unicode differ in terms of bits per character and the number of characters which can be represented.
Image Representation
How are images represented in pixels, represented in binary? What's metadata? Explain the effect of colour depth and resolution on the size of an image file.
Sound
How is sound sampled and stored in a digital format? How do factors (sampling intervals, bit rate, sampling frequency, sample size) affect the size of a sound file and the quality of it's playback?
Compression

Right, so there are the things you can revise just by how you do by paper 1 : get out a textbook (if you don't have one I have a reliable one here) and learn it, keep going over it in revision cards, do questions.

As for the things which you'll struggle to revise just by reading over them, well... They're the majority of the paper. I can't go through them one by one, but I'll leave a topic list here for you to check out all the stuff that comes up on Paper 2 (Paper 1s there too if you need it). Here's some common stuff that you can't remember just by reading over I think everyone struggles with :

Hexadecimal conversions
Once you get the hang of it, you've got it. Just use the techniques in the book I've got here (don't worry, it's a free download, not pirated!) and practice, practice, practice!
SQL to search for data
Remember the 4 key bits to 'query' a database : SELECT, *, FROM, WHERE. Have a read over how to do it in the book. Practice this here https://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp
Bitesize is actually pretty decent to find out how to do them. Just make up a list and practice by doing bubble, merge and sort on them.
This is most people's weak point, and they make up the majority of the paper : correcting it comes up a lot but the questions are usually only worth like 3 marks. But those 6 (?) marker questions that come up a lot saying 'make an algorithm, to...." you'll want to use pseudocode ( a lot of people find flow diagrams to make algorithms easier, but it's hard to get a good mark with those ). I've attached a great summary poster so you can learn how to do all the different stuff in code you need to know, and you can then just practice by doing exam questions.

As I said, this list isn't exhaustive (the topic list that I've attached is though!) but I hope it's useful. I got a 9 on Paper 2 in my mocks (8 on Paper 1 ) so don't hesitate to message me if anything's still confusing to you. I've got too much time on my hands at the moment haha!

Edit: I'm having problems with uploading the PDF workbook. If you don't have one at home, go to the Craig 'n Dave YouTube channel and find the OCR GCSE computing videos. They are really boring, ngl, but their explanations include everything.
Thanks so much!
I think it’s partly due to not learning it in school but only time will tell, thank you again
john262812
Rep:
?
Hey there!

Computational thinking
Functions / Procedures
Defensive design
Maintainability
Testing
Data rep
Translators
What's their purpose?
Their characteristics?
Character Representation
Image Representation
Sound
Compression

Hexadecimal conversions
SQL to search for data

I have only just started it, 2.1 I find alright I just think it’s the pseudocode bit, the rest as of now I’m fine with
InspiredPleb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by john262812)
Thanks so much!
I think it’s partly due to not learning it in school but only time will tell, thank you again
No prob If you're in Year 10 into Y11 don't worry about not learning it yet - it's relatively easy to pick up quickly.

(Original post by john262812)
I have only just started it, 2.1 I find alright I just think it’s the pseudocode bit, the rest as of now I’m fine with
You'll do fine then! Nobody really picks up pseudocode right away and you'll get it with practice.
john262812
Rep:
?
No prob If you're in Year 10 into Y11 don't worry about not learning it yet - it's relatively easy to pick up quickly.

You'll do fine then! Nobody really picks up pseudocode right away and you'll get it with practice.
I'll do an end of topic later today and tell you how it goes, the pseudocode sheet looks great
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (66)
4.61%
Uncertainty around my education (222)
15.49%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (155)
10.82%
Lack of purpose or motivation (204)
14.24%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (62)
4.33%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (83)
5.79%
Loneliness (128)
8.93%
Financial worries (49)
3.42%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (65)
4.54%
Exposure to negative news/social media (68)
4.75%
Lack of real life entertainment (74)
5.16%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (124)
8.65%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (133)
9.28%

Watched Threads