Report Thread starter 1 year ago
rfgdgrgf
Last edited by nikita_0303; 1 year ago
ALikesGeetars
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it would be B, because both Starch and Glycogen have a similar structure of being long branched chains which would allow for easy conversion when you think about it. Option (A) sort of makes sense with the process of Glycogenesis taking place between Glucose and Glycogen, however humans are unable to digest cellulose, as with most herbivorous animals as the enzyme cellulase is required to digest cellulose. That's why cellulose is also known as fiber (as well as a few more plant compounds)! Fun little fact my A level bio teacher taught me, rabbits poo both hard and soft pellets, hard pellets being undigested cellulose (Fiber) and then they eat the soft pellets as they are more easily digested or something along those lines.
nikita_0303
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
yghdt
Phantøm 1517
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's A
nikita_0303
Rep:
?
ty
HarisMalik98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's A. Tricky question.

Yes, herbivores (like us) lack cellulase; however, since their diet is mainly plant-based, they have developed a symbiotic relationship with cellulose-digesting bacteria that reside in their reticulorumen. These bacteria digest the cellulose for them into smaller absorbable sugars (like Glucose).

Then, just like what happens in humans - Glycogenesis occurs and glucose is converted to glycogen via a series of enzyme-dependent reactions which is then stored in reservoirs in the liver and muscle tissue.

Cellulose > Glucose > Glycogen (A)
nikita_0303
Rep:
?
ok
username4648086
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nikita_0303)
thank you sm
This thread
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (189)
43.65%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.32%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.62%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
21.02%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.62%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed