The Student Room Group

KCL or York?

I’ve received offers from KCL and Uni of York for undergraduate law in September. I’m from yorkshire so really unsure about moving to London, what is it really like to live in London? The accommodation at the 2 unis is similar priced so that’s not a problem and I won’t need to travel much but is London much more expensive in other areas? I think KCL is a more respected law school but don’t know if it’s worth it, should I expect much more job opportunities in London? Thanks
Of course KCL! Who are you kidding??????
Reply 2
Original post by Rebecca6065
I’ve received offers from KCL and Uni of York for undergraduate law in September. I’m from yorkshire so really unsure about moving to London, what is it really like to live in London? The accommodation at the 2 unis is similar priced so that’s not a problem and I won’t need to travel much but is London much more expensive in other areas? I think KCL is a more respected law school but don’t know if it’s worth it, should I expect much more job opportunities in London? Thanks

If you like London, then KCL is definitely the way to go. Its reputation is better than York, especially for law. The career opportunities are also much more vast as you have close links to the London courts and magic circle firms, etc.
Rep and links to law firms: As previously mentioned, if you fancy London, go for KCL (especially if you can afford it). In terms of reputation I would say KCL comes out on top (https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities) and the university also has many benefits in terms of geography (law firms can get to you easily and you can get to them easily for interviews/1 hour events in the evening/other academic talks of interest). I have found myself wanting to go to an hour talk by a law firm, but due to my distance from London (plus the cost) it just hasn't been feasible. I've seen many people from both KCL and York at top law firms including Magic Circle and Top US firms, so I don't think going to York will make it significantly harder to get in.

Course: Look at the course structures for both, does one heavily focus on coursework modules or give you more options? Which will you do better at? It's all a balancing act. A first at York might outweigh a 2.1 at Kings on an application.

Accom: having lived in both York and London, accommodation will be a lot more expensive in London when you start privately renting, even if it's roughly the same for the first year. But as I've said, worth it if you can afford it!

You: If you have a gut feeling, go for it. Choosing York will not massively disadvantage you (take a look at LinkedIn if you want to stalk a few York/KCL students who have been successful in the legal sphere). Generally, KCL is the better uni, but if you don't think you're going to enjoy the uni or London then don't force yourself! Feel free to PM me or ask any other questions.

Quick Reply