Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can anyone tell me anything about this university. So far I've only heard that its pretty crappy - why or why not. Does it have any merits?
UniofGreenwich
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi :bban:
I was really worried about the university reputation before I came to Greenwich however I was surprised when I actually came to the university because it was much better than I originally thought.

I can give you a list of pros and cons
Pros
• Give really good support in terms of course help, office hours, IT help, wellbeing and general help eg directions when lost
• Quick replies from lecturers/staff via email
• Opportunity to get flexible part time work as a student through the Student Ambassador scheme (can do work like open days, admin roles etc)
• Lots of places to eat eg Mcdonalds, a market, restaurants

Cons
• Not the best for nightlife but events are hosted in the bar area of the uni and societies often arrange their own nights out
• The library is big but sometimes it’s hard to find a seat on rainy days but there are random spots around the uni that have lots of space and are always empty
• You need your Grenwich ID for a lot of things on campus-this is good for security but it can be annoying when you’re late for class and you don’t have your ID

For my course (law) I’ve liked the teaching as it’s suited me, university is more about independent study but the lecturers provide decent excellent support and resources. Overall, I've had a pretty fun time at Greenwich and I'm happy I picked it.

Hope this helps :smartass:
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by UniofGreenwich)
Hi :bban:
I was really worried about the university reputation before I came to Greenwich however I was surprised when I actually came to the university because it was much better than I originally thought.

I can give you a list of pros and cons
Pros
• Give really good support in terms of course help, office hours, IT help, wellbeing and general help eg directions when lost
• Quick replies from lecturers/staff via email
• Opportunity to get flexible part time work as a student through the Student Ambassador scheme (can do work like open days, admin roles etc)
• Lots of places to eat eg Mcdonalds, a market, restaurants

Cons
• Not the best for nightlife but events are hosted in the bar area of the uni and societies often arrange their own nights out
• The library is big but sometimes it’s hard to find a seat on rainy days but there are random spots around the uni that have lots of space and are always empty
• You need your Grenwich ID for a lot of things on campus-this is good for security but it can be annoying when you’re late for class and you don’t have your ID

For my course (law) I’ve liked the teaching as it’s suited me, university is more about independent study but the lecturers provide decent excellent support and resources. Overall, I've had a pretty fun time at Greenwich and I'm happy I picked it.

Hope this helps :smartass:
Thank you for your detailed reply. I'm aware that it's ranking is pretty low, almost at the very bottom of league tables do you feel like this might hinder you or your peers in any way in the future?
UniofGreenwich
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you for your detailed reply. I'm aware that it's ranking is pretty low, almost at the very bottom of league tables do you feel like this might hinder you or your peers in any way in the future?
I don’t feel like it will because my course is accredited.

I’m friends with some people that have graduated and they’ve gone on to get good jobs it seems. The third years that do my course (law) are also having some success-one person I know has a scholarship from Lincolns Inn to do the bar practice course.

Greenwich provides a load of different opportunities and I feel experience is really important to getting good career prospects.

Whilst our ranking is quite low, the student satisfaction was quite high for my course and that was important to me.

You can have a look on LinkedIn to see what Greenwich graduates have gone on to do-it doesn’t seem to have hindered their chances of success
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm a student that came from Queen Mary University to Greenwich, not because I failed but because I didn't like the atmosphere at QM at all (btw I got a 2.1 first year in QM before I transferred, in case you think I failed). Coming to Greenwich, I've enjoyed myself a lot more and the teaching (personally) is far better and more 1-1 than a prestige university such as QM. I'll be honest, yes it's pretty low in the rankings, but the main thing with anything nowadays is experience > degree. So I'd highly recommend a placement year and do your best there, to increase your likelihood of a job (or even receive a potential offer).

At the end, it's your choice of course but definitely visit the universities and see how you feel.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.79%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.19%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
14.93%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.7%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise