The Student Room Group

Struggling to motivate myself to do the work for this subject

So I’m in year 11 and despite my GCSE’s being cancelled our teachers want us to finish the course.

Now for most teachers this is fine and for all but 2 subjects I’ve near finished the course (maths is one of them but our maths teacher is literally setting us like 15 minutes max a week) so for the most part it’s not that bad.
But one teacher has set so much work. She wants us to do all the past papers she gave us (there’s 9 and based on the fact she wants us to do all 3 Questions in the final section instead of the usual 1 it means each paper will take roughly 2.5 hours.
And instead of us using these papers to test our knowledge she wrote in Bold and caps to make sure it stood out that we are to answer using the mark scheme and our notes and we are to not use our memory.

On top of this we have to make revision notes and send proof we made them to her.

Can someone give me advice on how to motivate myself to do 15-25 hours of past papers + revision notes that I’ll never look at again/use.

And no I can’t just avoid doing it because it will affect my predicted grade if I haven’t done it and despite The fact I’ve been getting 90% and above the entire time she’s taught me she still thinks I’m not scoring high enough and I’m not doing enough revision.
Hey there.

I'm sure I'm just going to restate what you're thinking but... That's an incredibly unfair situation your teacher has put you in. Regardless of your current score (though you don't seem to have any problems, getting 90% and above!) Ofqual has stated that though teachers sending work is optional, students that don't do any further work set shouldn't be disadvantaged (because of the different circumstances that we go through - childcare, multiple siblings, only 1 computer to share with the family etc.). Therefore, I think that's too much pressure to put on you, and it directly goes against what Ofqual says... but considering this teacher is the person that gives you your grade, I guess there's no getting around it. Even if it is unfair / useless even in testing knowledge. I'm sorry you have to go through this - my teachers have been great with me.

What subject is this, and what's the exam board? I'm sure if you go digging you can find a PDF on google of revision notes that you can edit a little bit to look original, or if I do the subject I can send some over of mine. I made most of my notes on my computer, so yeah. That shouldn't take you too long, hopefully.

But as for the papers, it's literally copying out mark schemes and adding stuff from your notes for way too long. As for generic motivation tips, all I can really give you is stuff you'll have already thought of : take a break every 40/50 mins and since you don't really need to pay attention to use a mark scheme and notes play a podcast in the background to listen to or something.

Just...wow. I still can't believe they've put you in this position. And, to be brutally honest, this won't be worth much if anything. Everyone's got the answers : a lot more people will get 9s. But, if Ofqual sees this as evidence it'll be completely rejected as the range of grades are skewed : regardless of this new grading system, there will be a lot of people getting 3s and 4s in accordance with national averages. I don't really like criticising teachers, but yours.... jeez.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest