The Student Room Group

anyone taking a gap year and applying in 2021?

Im feeling really stressed as I just realised that I don't have as much time as I thought I would for entrance exams etc.
So I thought I should find people in a similar situation to me rn so we could help each other out through the whole process.

Ive finished year 13 (I guess) and I didn't get accepted into any unis for medicine (simply just not applying strategically). Im planning to take Maths and maybe Chemistry exams in September and take a gap year so I can apply for 2021 entry. I will be taking both UCAT and BMAT.
Anybody else in a similar position?

Scroll to see replies

Yep me too I'm in the same situation and I would also like to take UCAT and BMAT. I have just realised I need to rewrite my personal statement as I am taking a gap year and have to state my plans.
Reply 2
Original post by Kearatayl
Yep me too I'm in the same situation and I would also like to take UCAT and BMAT. I have just realised I need to rewrite my personal statement as I am taking a gap year and have to state my plans.

Phew, yeah I haven't done much work experience because it got cancelled cos of coronavirus so I think that may be a bit of a problem. when are you planning to start practicing for the entrance exams?
Also I'm finding it so hard to revise for the September a levels, are you sitting them too?
Reply 3
Yeah if i dont get predicted 3As or above im probably gonna take a couple exams in September. I'm also worried about work experience cos I've got some from before but I really wanted to try get some hospital/gp placements to strengthen my application. I've got a biomedical sciences offer which I'm debating whether or not to turn down.
Original post by libbyab
Phew, yeah I haven't done much work experience because it got cancelled cos of coronavirus so I think that may be a bit of a problem. when are you planning to start practicing for the entrance exams?
Also I'm finding it so hard to revise for the September a levels, are you sitting them too?

I am kinda starting this week to revise for the entance exam because I dont want to repeat last year. I do ib so I don't even know whether they will allow people to sit their exams, but if they do it will likely happen in November. So at this point I'm hoping my teacher saw my hardwork in the last few months especially for chem, to predict me a decent grade. But i'm definitely going to revise for chemistry because I don't know what I might get for it.
Reply 5
Original post by ibm4
Yeah if i dont get predicted 3As or above im probably gonna take a couple exams in September. I'm also worried about work experience cos I've got some from before but I really wanted to try get some hospital/gp placements to strengthen my application. I've got a biomedical sciences offer which I'm debating whether or not to turn down.

Im almost certain I'm gonna get bad for maths and chemistry so I'm still revising them now. I think they'll be lenient on work experience given the circumstances, if you're 18 maybe have a look at the NHS volunteer thing? I also got biomed offers from st. Georges and Birmingham but I'm going to turn them down
Reply 6
Original post by libbyab
Im almost certain I'm gonna get bad for maths and chemistry so I'm still revising them now. I think they'll be lenient on work experience given the circumstances, if you're 18 maybe have a look at the NHS volunteer thing? I also got biomed offers from st. Georges and Birmingham but I'm going to turn them down

Yeah I've also got it from St. George's and I was looking into the transfer scheme they do but the odds were quite bad (when are they not when it comes to medicine). I was looking at some stats for 2019, 67 went for the transfer and 28 were successful. So i thought i might as well just reapply as i have more of a chance i guess. Also I'm not 18 till the end of next month so its all peak.
Reply 7
Original post by ibm4
Yeah I've also got it from St. George's and I was looking into the transfer scheme they do but the odds were quite bad (when are they not when it comes to medicine). I was looking at some stats for 2019, 67 went for the transfer and 28 were successful. So i thought i might as well just reapply as i have more of a chance i guess. Also I'm not 18 till the end of next month so its all peak.

yeah the chances of reapplying are way better. are you doing the ucat and the bmat?
Reply 8
Original post by libbyab
yeah the chances of reapplying are way better. are you doing the ucat and the bmat?

yeh i’ll do ucat and i’m still deciding on whether to do bmat or not. if we do take school exams in september what grades are we supposed to all with?
Reply 9
Original post by ibm4
yeh i’ll do ucat and i’m still deciding on whether to do bmat or not. if we do take school exams in september what grades are we supposed to all with?

If the grade your teacher gives you is higher than the one you get in the exam, you can use that. Im assuming AAA for most unis as normal
Reply 10
Original post by libbyab
If the grade your teacher gives you is higher than the one you get in the exam, you can use that. Im assuming AAA for most unis as normal

Yeah true. So where did u apply first time round and did u get any interviews?
Reply 11
Original post by ibm4
Yeah true. So where did u apply first time round and did u get any interviews?

I applied to Glasgow, Birmingham, Kent and Aston. didn't get any interviews and I think its cos I didn't apply strategically. Where did you apply?
Reply 12
I am kinda starting this week to revise for the entance exam because I dont want to repeat last year. I do ib so I don't even know whether they will allow people to sit their exams, but if they do it will likely happen in November. So at this point I'm hoping my teacher saw my hardwork in the last few months especially for chem, to predict me a decent grade. But i'm definitely going to revise for chemistry because I don't know what I might get for it.

Im trying to revise too but I'm finding it so hard at home, have no motivation :frown: I think I'm going to focus on only my ucat for now and then bmat after exams
Original post by libbyab
Im trying to revise too but I'm finding it so hard at home, have no motivation :frown: I think I'm going to focus on only my ucat for now and then bmat after exams

Yeah that is a good strategy. I'm kinda scared that the ucat might be cancelled but im just hoping the situation improves by august.
Reply 14
Yeah that is a good strategy. I'm kinda scared that the ucat might be cancelled but im just hoping the situation improves by august.

I'm quite confident it won't be completely cancelled but if it is I'm sure there'll be something to replace it
Reply 15
Original post by libbyab
I applied to Glasgow, Birmingham, Kent and Aston. didn't get any interviews and I think its cos I didn't apply strategically. Where did you apply?

I applied to Imperial, Kings, St. George’s & Exeter. I got 2 post interview rejections
Reply 16
Original post by ibm4
I applied to Imperial, Kings, St. George’s & Exeter. I got 2 post interview rejections

*Imperial and St Georges
Reply 17
Original post by ibm4

Thats pretty good. Im kinda getting more stressed now cos I have no motivation to study and if I take the September exams I don't think I'm gonna do well tbh
Hey guys, I’m kind of stressed because as some of you guys mentioned the ucat & BMAT might not happen. I include BMAT as well because I don’t think school or uni will still occur if there is no vaccine as people can still transfer disease unknowingly which means people could still die (to the best of my understanding).

Anyways, have you guys started revising for the UKCAT and/or BMAT?

I’m an IB student and I think I’m not going to get the grades I need through this new way of giving grades without an exam. So, I’m thinking of just starting revision (although I have no motivation) in subjects I know I’m definitely not going to get the grades I need.

I’m also taking a gap year I have only one medical related work experience I was meant to do 2 months worth of medicine-related work experience but I can’t due to COVID-19.

Is anyone else in a similar situation and if so how are you guys going about it?
Reply 19
Original post by libbyab
Thats pretty good. Im kinda getting more stressed now cos I have no motivation to study and if I take the September exams I don't think I'm gonna do well tbh

Yeah same I’m gonna try to get back into it slowly cos we still have quite a bit of time considering most of it’s just revision. Atm i’m just chilling.

Quick Reply

Latest