The Student Room Group

University and A-level Subjects.

jp
(edited 2 years ago)
You're doing 2 facilitating subjects so you definitely have a very good chance of getting an offer from all of your unis.
Once you have your shortlist, it should clearly say entry requirements for the courses on the Uni websites, in terms of which A Levels can count towards your offer and which ones can’t. If you are still in doubt, it may be worth ringing up the Uni Admissions Department (although Universities are currently really busy during the disruption, so may not be able to give you an immediate response).

Otherwise, I can’t really see any major issues. I would certainly mention an EPQ if you take one, and I think this would probably be better than an AS, providing it is law related. It might also be wise to have 1-2 offers that are based off tariff points just to be on the safe side. But if you check the Uni websites or ring their admissions and confirm that way, I think you should be fine. Good luck with your application :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by zoe.mia.l
I am a current Y12 student studying Mathematics, History and Physical education. Predicted AAA*. Possibly progressing to an A* as well in history. I am also going to be doing EPQ.I have a GCSE points score of 6.9. I am looking to study history, international relations or law at university. Mainly focusing on Law.
While I do have two facilitating subjects I am concerned about have PE as my third. At the beginning of Y12 i just took subjects i enjoyed, but in reflection I should of been more geared towards a career path.
I looking at unis such as Exeter, Durham, Bristol, Manchester, Edinburgh, Newcastle,St Andrews and Lancaster. Also considering Northumbria has they have an integrated masters course. Do I have a chance at the first few unis mentioned?
I have work experience within a law firm and several extracurriculars related that I can mention.
Is it worth taking an AS level in another subject that may be more beneficial than PE. If so should I not do EPQ so I have time to focus on this.
Specifically to Law which unis are less concentrated on subjects and more on grades?
Will I be considered less than another candidate if they had one facilitating subject but all of their subjects were more relevant to the course.
What universities tend to scrutinise which subjects you must obtain a certain grade in?

Any advice/help would be really appreciated.

Firstly the facilitating subject is not applicable. Even the Russell Group who have been spreading this advice have now withdrawn it. Basically universities dont work on them and havent for many years. A number of universities list their preferred subject and expect you to take 2 of them, UCL and LSE publish them as does Birmingham for Law. You have 2 such subjects Maths and History and your 3rd could be anything other than General Studies and a couple of other subjects but that doesnt include PE.

Durham and St Andrews tend to be very difficult to get into and Edinburgh is also particularly difficult for EC students due to the cap operating in Scotland. Exeter, Bristol, Manchester, Newcastle and Lancaster will all accept your subjects. You were right to take subjects that you enjoyed and that will not act against you.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/entry-requirements/preferred-level-subjects

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/one
Original post by zoe.mia.l
I am a current Y12 student studying Mathematics, History and Physical education. Predicted AAA*. Possibly progressing to an A* as well in history. I am also going to be doing EPQ.I have a GCSE points score of 6.9. I am looking to study history, international relations or law at university. Mainly focusing on Law.
While I do have two facilitating subjects I am concerned about have PE as my third. At the beginning of Y12 i just took subjects i enjoyed, but in reflection I should of been more geared towards a career path.
I looking at unis such as Exeter, Durham, Bristol, Manchester, Edinburgh, Newcastle,St Andrews and Lancaster. Also considering Northumbria has they have an integrated masters course. Do I have a chance at the first few unis mentioned?
I have work experience within a law firm and several extracurriculars related that I can mention.
Is it worth taking an AS level in another subject that may be more beneficial than PE. If so should I not do EPQ so I have time to focus on this.
Specifically to Law which unis are less concentrated on subjects and more on grades?
Will I be considered less than another candidate if they had one facilitating subject but all of their subjects were more relevant to the course.
What universities tend to scrutinise which subjects you must obtain a certain grade in?

Any advice/help would be really appreciated.

Hi @zoe.mia.l,
I'm glad to hear you're considering Lancaster!
You can use UniBuddy to chat to current Law students at Lancaster. You can ask course specific questions about also ask about their routes into Law. You can also speak to History/IR students to see how it compares! You can use UniBuddy here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
If you have specific admissions questions, it's not too early to chat to and ask admissions about the requirements for 2021 entry. You can email or call them: [email protected] or 01524 592 028
Let me know how you get on with those, and if you have any general questions about the university or city then let me know!
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending