The Student Room Group

I’m pregnant

Will it still be possible to go to university in September still?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,

How far along in the pregnancy are you?

Depending when the baby is due and if the university has an onsite nursery. (Some universities do) you may be able to get financial support to pay for this. On my course this year a girl started university and her baby was only 3 weeks old. She was able to do this as she lived at home and her mother looked after her daughter when she was at university.

regards
(edited 3 years ago)
I don't see why not, people work whilst pregnant right up to final trimester. And it's not like universities disallow pregnant women from entering...If you give birth around Christmas that would be convenient as well. Do you have family to help look after the baby when it's born?
Original post by 17starr

Congratulation on your news of the pregnancy

Now depending on how far on your are currently and when you are scheduled to start university in September then the university might tell you that you unable to start as normally you'll leave university similar as you were in work for maternity leave and they usually give you same time away on leave and you'll get option to either return to the course or not

If you got any family that can help look after the baby once born as that can allow you to go back to university and you not missing to much of the course either .
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm sorry to hear it.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I'm sorry to hear it.

Why?
Original post by Anonymous
Why?

Well, I imagined you didn't intend to find yourself in this predicament.
I’m sorry to hear you’re preggers. Maybe use protection next time and focus more on education than a bootycall and collecting stis on the way.

Nope you will not be able to go to uni aswell unless you can afford childcare

You're talking to a 17/18 year old pregnant woman here. Can you check yourself please and say something helpful and supportive to her rather than just trying to tear down someone who really needs help. People get pregnant on the pill you know.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Well, I imagined you didn't intend to find yourself in this predicament.

Me? I'm not op. A baby doesn't have to be a predicament. It's life, it's nature, it's a human being.
Sadly they is a high chance you’ll not be allowed
Original post by 17starr

It will depend on when you're due to give birth and many other things - where you'll be living, the support you'll have, your finances etc. It's best to talk with the university/ies you're considering to see their policies and methods for supporting a pregnant student / students with children. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
Original post by 1st superstar
Wow lowest of the low cowardly hiding behind anon to give nasty, unhelpful, "trolly" advice. How do you know that the OP is 17?. @PhoenixFortune any advice

Yeah I can't stand people who cristise young people who get pregnant and the cheek they get from some people on here for getting pregnant is a disgrace, they need to act there ages and grow up themselves and perhaps look at there on doorstep first before critising anyone .
The lass got pregnant through whatever reason she chosen okay and if she's happy having a baby at a young age them its upto here and no any of us to tell her otherwise ,
We suppose to be here to help and advice people where possible not bringing them down ok .
And I deal with lot younger than her on most days at work and its not funny ok .
(edited 3 years ago)
ffs, why are so many people assuming that this woman's pregnancy was either (a) some terrible accident, or (b) a result of whoredom? Maybe, people, she's really happy that she's having a baby!

Jesus...
Original post by Tracey1995
Yeah I can't stand people who cristise young people who get pregnant and the cheek they get from some people on here for getting pregnant is a disgrace, they need to act there ages and grow up themselves and perhaps look at there on doorstep first before critising anyone .
The lass got pregnant through whatever reason she chosen okay and if she's happy having a baby at a young age them its upto here and no any of us to tell her otherwise ,
We suppose to be here to help and advice people where possible not bringing them down ok .
And I deal with lot younger than her on most days at work and its not funny ok .

Like ok i don't like pregnant teens but still at least this one wants to go to uni and being a cowardly troll behind anon like anon#2 is being is unacceptable. Plus how do we know if the OP is a teen?
(edited 3 years ago)
Dont listen to the pathetic attempts at human beings on here. Karma will kick them in the balls one day. If you want to keep baby and go to uni then go for it. You'll get 85% of your childcare paid for by childcare grant but they and apply early- I'm not sure how it works for baby not born yet but hopefully will exept matB1 cert rather than birth cert and you can send it in after baby born. Your childcare needs to be Ofsted reg. I'd make use of this even if you have family to help, it's good to have some form of childcare in place just in case family unwell or whatever and also you dont feel like your putting on them. As well as standard maintenance loan you should get a higher rate as parental living allowance. I get 12k a year in total and you would probably be entitled to some form of universal credit top up if your not living with parents or a working partner.
It won't be easy - you might want to give it 12 months and then go (your young, a year makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things) - but depending on your course and chosen university still entirely possible. Best of luck to you what ever you decide.
You cab still go but it may be better to defer a year to give yourself best chance to do well snd receiver from giving birth and see how childcare would work at university, where you would live etc.
Original post by toothfairy1983
Dont listen to the pathetic attempts at human beings on here. Karma will kick them in the balls one day. If you want to keep baby and go to uni then go for it. You'll get 85% of your childcare paid for by childcare grant but they and apply early- I'm not sure how it works for baby not born yet but hopefully will exept matB1 cert rather than birth cert and you can send it in after baby born. Your childcare needs to be Ofsted reg. I'd make use of this even if you have family to help, it's good to have some form of childcare in place just in case family unwell or whatever and also you dont feel like your putting on them. As well as standard maintenance loan you should get a higher rate as parental living allowance. I get 12k a year in total and you would probably be entitled to some form of universal credit top up if your not living with parents or a working partner.
It won't be easy - you might want to give it 12 months and then go (your young, a year makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things) - but depending on your course and chosen university still entirely possible. Best of luck to you what ever you decide.

I think doesn’t that also depend on how much savings you have? I read somewhere that you can’t have over 16k to get the full help as my best friend is currently pregnant but completely alone so I help her out alot since her bf cheated with someone
Me? I'm not op. A baby doesn't have to be a predicament. It's life, it's nature, it's a human being.

i get what hes saying though. whilst a kid is a blessing it can also be a pain if you're having it unexpectedly. always better to plan for these things.

and especially now given what everyone is going through. i'm happy for her but also its gonna be difficult for her. especially since its gonna be a struggle for her to even get the basics like nappies and formula
Original post by 1st superstar
Like ok i don't like pregnant teens but still at least this one wants to go to uni and being a cowardly troll behind anon like anon#2 is being is unacceptable. Plus how do we know if the OP is a teen? Seriously despise regular Anon users...

Yeah I am the same as yourself about young people getting pregnant like and yes I can at least say she want to go to university and try to achieve her degree and find a job on completion to and I don't fault her there as don't get many willing to do what she's wanting to do .

Yes being a coward hiding don't make them any better as they still the same regardless anon or not .
Exactly what you said about " how do we know if OP is a teen " - we don't unfortunately .

I don't like seeing girls as young as13/14 in a maternity ward giving birth as its annoying to see this but we have to deal with them just the same as a older girl was there
Where exactly is OP? Has she commented because I can’t tell with all the other Anonymous users.

Quick Reply