GLS (GLP) Training Contract applications (2020)

Watch
Beanoff
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by grinchbob)
Fingers (and everything else) crossed, but I have that sinking feeling it's going to be carnage episode 2!!
I've just received a message from a friend who has just submitted the first part of the form. They've messaged me because (surprise, surprise) they've been calling the 0117 number for the last few hours and no response

....it's already looking shambolic and it's only day 1:

- contrary to the GLP website you are NOT automatically invited to the SJT after submitting your application

- but you do receive an e-mail which states:

'Thank you for submitting your application form.

We will now review your application. Should you be successful at this stage, you will be invited to complete the next stage of the recruitment process, the Situational Judgement Test (SJT).

We will contact you to notify you of the outcome of your application on Friday 31 July and Monday 3 August .

Should you not hear anything by 9am the following day (Tuesday 4 August) please contact us at [email protected] as soon as possible (at the latest by Midday).'

So, you submit your form. Then you get told the outcome on two separate days (why??) which are actually after the SJT deadline of 28th July.

But the good news is that if you don't hear, you've got until midday on 4th August to tell them (oh, but that's the deadline for the VRT test. So by that time, you've missed two deadlines??)

Confused? I already am!

I won't be submitting my application until I've calmed my nerves. It's just way too frustrating to deal with this process and the clowns that are running the show. Looks like the GLP just never leaned their lessons from last year's disaster. What a farce.
DavidHayton
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Beanoff)
Looks like the GLP just never leaned their lessons from last year's disaster. What a farce.
Just spent a good 2 hours on the form but it keeps crashing for not having the right cookies enabled? Never had that before.

I'm still waiting for my response from Govtrainees about the SJT (now a mere 17 days and counting!) From what you have now said, it looks like they just don't know how the process is supposed to run.

And now I've read the conformation e-mail above, it does not bode well.

Is anybody on this forum from GLP/GLD who can help??
grinchbob
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've been trying to call them on both 0845 3000 793 & 0117 923 4417 numbers with no luck. On one call, the it seemed to be picked up (I could hear some background noise for a few seconds) then I was cut off. It's really not good at all. :lolwut:
UKstarfleet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DavidHayton)
Just spent a good 2 hours on the form but it keeps crashing for not having the right cookies enabled? Never had that before.

I'm still waiting for my response from Govtrainees about the SJT (now a mere 17 days and counting!) From what you have now said, it looks like they just don't know how the process is supposed to run.

Like yourself just spent 2 hours doing the form.

The email says that the team will review the applications and I think once they have done this then SJT invites will go out other dates are there for reference, I think although I’m not really sure.
Last edited by UKstarfleet; 1 month ago
Kiya24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just finished the application now and received an invite to the SJT stage with link to the test.
LegalLeprechaun
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kiya24)
Just finished the application now and received an invite to the SJT stage with link to the test.
What is the application like?
Kiya24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LegalLeprechaun)
What is the application like?
It's pretty straightforward. All the info you would place on your CV as well as questions regarding your preference for the solicitor or barrister pathway. Also, you need to specify when and where you will be taking other courses you need to start the training eg. GDL.
CAJonsey
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've just received a message from a friend who has just submitted the first part of the form. They've messaged me because (surprise, surprise) they've been calling the 0117 number for the last few hours and no response

- contrary to the GLP website you are NOT automatically invited to the SJT after submitting your application

We will now review your application. Should you be successful at this stage, you will be invited to complete the next stage of the recruitment process, the Situational Judgement Test (SJT).

We will contact you to notify you of the outcome of your application on Friday 31 July and Monday 3 August .

Should you not hear anything by 9am the following day (Tuesday 4 August) please contact us at [email protected] as soon as possible (at the latest by Midday).'

So, you submit your form. Then you get told the outcome on two separate days (why??) which are actually after the SJT deadline of 28th July.

But the good news is that if you don't hear, you've got until midday on 4th August to tell them (oh, but that's the deadline for the VRT test. So by that time, you've missed two deadlines??)

Confused? I already am!

I won't be submitting my application until I've calmed my nerves. It's just way too frustrating to deal with this process and the clowns that are running the show. Looks like the GLP just never leaned their lessons from last year's disaster. What a farce.
Not sure why there are 2 dates in the email. As far as I'm aware, candidates are notified on 31 July. Unless 3 August is a back-up date in case something goes wrong on 31 July,....then there is actually no need to mention the back-up date in the email.
CAJonsey
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I would recommend saving the application form as soon as you register. Then login and start your application. You have to clear your cookies too.
CAJonsey
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CharleneH87)
Thank you, ive just finished 2nd year and i am on track for a 1st but unfortunately do not have any A-levels so that is my main worry. I will have a look at the link, thanks for your reply
You will not be asked to provide details of your GCSE and A-level results.
CAJonsey
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UKstarfleet)
Like yourself just spent 2 hours doing the form.

The email says that the team will review the applications and I think once they have done this then SJT invites will go out other dates are there for reference, I think although I’m not really sure.
Yes we have to check the eligibility of candidates, hence the review applications before being invited to complete the SJT i.e. the upcoming changes to the immigration rules/rights to work once the UK leaves the EU
UKstarfleet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CAJonsey)
Yes we have to check the eligibility of candidates, hence the review applications before being invited to complete the SJT i.e. the upcoming changes to the immigration rules/rights to work once the UK leaves the EU
Thanks for clarifying
grinchbob
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure I get this?

All the questions on right to work and nationality seem to have flags on them i.e. if you select 'No' to 'Do you meet the 'Civil Service Nationality Requirements', the application just ends. Therefore assuming that there is routing in the application form that kicks anybody out if they select an answer that makes them 'ineligible'. This makes sense to be efficient and is the same as last year.

Leaving the EU makes no difference as it stands .Everything stays the same for EU citizens until the end of the transition period (end of 2020) and then an application for settled status needs to be made by the end of June 2021. It could all change, but not before the end of this recruitment exercise. So, what are they checking against?

Yes maybe the recruitment bods are hoping to spend endless hours weeding out people who admit e.g. that they're from the US but still say they have right to work, but can't see why 5,000 applications would be held up for that when they could do the same check on the few hundred who are left later on in August?

Not doubting that this is happening because we're all very familiar with the crackpot 'processes' of this recruitment agency (!!!). Maybe if they manned the phones and answered emails instead, there'd be just a tad more confidence in the whole thing?

And yes, that automatic e-mail is ridiculous.
CAJonsey
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by grinchbob)
I'm not sure I get this?

All the questions on right to work and nationality seem to have flags on them i.e. if you select 'No' to 'Do you meet the 'Civil Service Nationality Requirements', the application just ends. Therefore assuming that there is routing in the application form that kicks anybody out if they select an answer that makes them 'ineligible'. This makes sense to be efficient and is the same as last year.

Leaving the EU makes no difference as it stands .Everything stays the same for EU citizens until the end of the transition period (end of 2020) and then an application for settled status needs to be made by the end of June 2021. It could all change, but not before the end of this recruitment exercise. So, what are they checking against?

Yes maybe the recruitment bods are hoping to spend endless hours weeding out people who admit e.g. that they're from the US but still say they have right to work, but can't see why 5,000 applications would be held up for that when they could do the same check on the few hundred who are left later on in August?

Not doubting that this is happening because we're all very familiar with the crackpot 'processes' of this recruitment agency (!!!). Maybe if they manned the phones and answered emails instead, there'd be just a tad more confidence in the whole thing?

And yes, that automatic e-mail is ridiculous.
Hi, most of the places on offer start in 2022. We do not know what is going to happen to the immigration rules between now and 2022. Yes we are currently in the transition period but by 2022 I can imagine the immigration rules will change significantly. It's unlikely as well that government departments would sponsor any work permits. A statement about this is on the GLP website. 5000 applications...don't think we've ever reached that many
UKstarfleet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, most of the places on offer start in 2022. We do not know what is going to happen to the immigration rules between now and 2022. Yes we are currently in the transition period but by 2022 I can imagine the immigration rules will change significantly. It's unlikely as well that government departments would sponsor any work permits. A statement about this is on the GLP website. 5000 applications...don't think we've ever reached that many
Are there any pupillage places being offered for 2021? From what I can see all pupillage places start in 2022 are there any exceptions to this?
Grimer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

Confused? I already am!

And I thought I'd received the strangest e-mail yesterday evening...under the title re: Government Legal Trainee Position (though I've not actually applied yet) I think this was sent because I'd registered an interest previously:

The application stage comprises firstly an application form; if you meet the eligibility criteria, this is followed by a Situational Judgment Test (SJT). You will be sent an email asking you to complete the SJT if you pass the eligibility criteria. Both the application and the SJT must be completed by 12pm (noon) on Tuesday 28th July 2020.

New copywriter required! That is a new copywriter. Who will write copy. As per our requirement. Copy. They will write it. The copywriter.

Am I hired?
DavidHayton
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's already not looking too good.

I sent an email to [email protected] on 11th June asking a question about this year's launch date - got a reply on 15th June. Not great for a simple response, but ok, it was a response.

I then asked a follow-up on 19th June about the SJT format (The timetable states that we have to complete our application forms, and the SJT test will be sent 'from a different system'). I asked: will it be sent automatically and who will be sending it/what is the 'system'?

Simple question, no?

No reply at al to this, so I followed up with another email on 29th June.

Now it is 3rd July and still nothing.

Last year's applicants will know this scenario well. In fact, I raised this matter directly to Sir Jonathan Jones last July, and to his credit, he responded directly to me and acknowledged the poor service, apologizing for it. He noted that he would pass a copy of his letter to the main director at Peoplescout/TMP, but sadly I received not even a single word from the latter. Not a single word. It speaks volumes.

The rest, as they say, is history. But you have to ask yourself: if service is this poor before the campaign has even kicked off, what will it be like when thousands of applicants have queries/problems?

Good luck all!
Can anybody help with this question? I've given up on GovTtainees as they never respond to anything. After 18 days, they clearly can't be bothered to respond.

We now know that the SJT is neither automatically/immediately sent. Nobody I know has received a link at all!

I just want to know whether it is sent from the same system as the application form, or something different? Mainly because I need to know whether I'll need Flash, Adobe or any other upgraded PC to complete it?

Can anybody help on this?
AthaurR
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can anybody help with this question? I've given up on GovTtainees as they never respond to anything. After 18 days, they clearly can't be bothered to respond.

We now know that the SJT is neither automatically/immediately sent. Nobody I know has received a link at all!

I just want to know whether it is sent from the same system as the application form, or something different? Mainly because I need to know whether I'll need Flash, Adobe or any other upgraded PC to complete it?

Hi David,

Not entirely sure what PC platform it’ll require but what I can say is that I submitted my application at 12pm today and received a link to the SJT a couple of hours later.

If you need anything else, let me know

Athaur
123.Qwerty
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hey there,

You should automatically get a link to the SJT (if you’re eligible) within a few minutes of submitting the initial application form.
Last edited by 123.Qwerty; 1 month ago
123.Qwerty
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

Can anyone clarify whether the SJT needs completing within one sitting or we can come back to it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (173)
24.5%
Better than expected (145)
20.54%
Worse than expected (388)
54.96%

Watched Threads