GLS (GLP) Training Contract applications (2020)

Watch
Law1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how long after submitting the application I will find out if I will be able to sit the SJT.
I submitted the application on Tuesday and last year I received the link straight after.
Thank you in advance.
UKstarfleet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Law1995)
Hi,
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how long after submitting the application I will find out if I will be able to sit the SJT.
I submitted the application on Tuesday and last year I received the link straight after.
Thank you in advance.
Hi.....if you scroll back through the replies from Tanblob you’ll find the answer. I’m waiting to sit the SJT too
Law1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UKstarfleet)
Hi.....if you scroll back through the replies from Tanblob you’ll find the answer. I’m waiting to sit the SJT too
Thank you.
DavidHayton
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, I opened my email today and found a response to my message of 19th June to Govtrainees, when I had asked the question (about the SJT):

Will it be sent automatically and who will be sending it/what is the 'system'?

I had glass of wine ready in anticipated celebration. And then I read the response.

The answer to this question - a full 19 days later - was:

In regards to the Situational Judgement Test (SJT), once you have completed your application form you will receive an email with instructions and a link to the SJT.

If you experience any issues with the test please get in touch and I will look into this for you.

No apology, no acknowledgement of the delay. And an answer that was completely irrelevant :confused:

So I have asked the same question again.

What a frankly hopeless gang of incompetents they are at Govtrainees. (Tanblob excepted).
UKstarfleet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DavidHayton)
Well, I opened my email today and found a response to my message of 19th June to Govtrainees, when I had asked the question (about the SJT):

Will it be sent automatically and who will be sending it/what is the 'system'?

I had glass of wine ready in anticipated celebration. And then I read the response.

The answer to this question - a full 19 days later - was:

In regards to the Situational Judgement Test (SJT), once you have completed your application form you will receive an email with instructions and a link to the SJT.

If you experience any issues with the test please get in touch and I will look into this for you.

No apology, no acknowledgement of the delay. And an answer that was completely irrelevant :confused:

So I have asked the same question again.

What a frankly hopeless gang of incompetents they are at Govtrainees. (Tanblob excepted).
Do you write blogs? Because I enjoy reading your posts Lol......”had a glass of wine ready” 😆

That aside I do completely understand your frustrations.
Last edited by UKstarfleet; 1 month ago
grinchbob
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've just had a flick through Grimer's2019 review. Talk about history repeating itself. And this year's application form also includes the classic 'your principle subject'.

Yep, a minor error (still poor for an elite programme) but it just shows the couldn't care less attitude and nobody bothered correcting it from last year. And using a programme for the SJT that a teenager could rustle up in an evening on a WAP mobile phone. It would be a huge joke if it weren't so unfunny for us candidates in the process.

The scores mess is next level buffoonery. I've been waiting since Monday for my SJT invitation and zippo. Perhaps somebody has changed my nationality and slipped a tip-off message into a fortune cookie? Well, have events so far been any less farcical? They'll be reduced to spinning the bottle to decide on the SJT scores because they sure as hell won't have real data to work on!!!

Even the deadlines are absurd. 28th July for both the application form and the SJT. Surely that's illogical in itself? I mean if midday is the deadline for the SJT, the deadline for the application form must by definition be beforehand? Again, academic, but it just shows how little thought went into the whole process. You can see all the last minute applications coming in on 27th and 28th and a whole load of SJTs never even being sent.

But you just can't tell them. Sleepwalking into disaster. Roll on 2021!
DavidHayton
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UKstarfleet)
Do you write blogs? Because I enjoy reading your posts Lol......”had a glass of wine ready” 😆

That aside I do completely understand your frustrations.
Sadly not although I've probably got enough material on this process to keep me going for a few years!

In all seriousness though, it's looking grim. I'm holding off on my application until this SJT problem is straightened out.
123.Qwerty
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had completed the initial application a couple days ago, and received my SJT link immediately.

Yesterday, I received another email for an ‘SJT Trial’. The email mentions its receivers to access a link to test out the SJT before it is launched for the trainee application process 🤷🏻*♀️
grinchbob
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 123.Qwerty)
I had completed the initial application a couple days ago, and received my SJT link immediately.

Yesterday, I received another email for an ‘SJT Trial’. The email mentions its receivers to access a link to test out the SJT before it is launched for the trainee application process 🤷🏻*♀️
Just when you thought that they could not surpass themselves...

I don't know how they keep a straight face. Embarrassing.
UKstarfleet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DavidHayton)
Sadly not although I've probably got enough material on this process to keep me going for a few years!

In all seriousness though, it's looking grim. I'm holding off on my application until this SJT problem is straightened out.
Received my link for the SJT......although like yourself I might wait as long as I can before attempting it just in case!
Havana3am
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
First time applicant here. Does anybody know whether the SJT is the same Civil Service Judgment Test used in the CPS National Legal Trainee Scheme? Also whether the SJT assesses the Civil Service Behaviours listed in the candidate brochure? Thanks in advance
17Student17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good luck to everyone. The state tends to do things badly and also not way well so if you can work in private practice it tends to be better. This thread confirms my views.
Havana3am
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Havana3am)
First time applicant here. Does anybody know whether the SJT is the same Civil Service Judgment Test used in the CPS National Legal Trainee Scheme? Also whether the SJT assesses the Civil Service Behaviours listed in the candidate brochure? Thanks in advance
To partly answer my own question, having read further on the gov.uk site the GLS SJT is different to the Civil Service Judgment Test. With the GLS test you only have to choose the most and least effective action whereas with the Civil Service Judgment Test you have to rate all four actions as being very effective, somewhat effective, somewhat ineffective or completely ineffective.

I'm still unclear whether the SJT tests how strong your Civil Service Behaviours are or whether it's testing something different? :confused:
CharleneH87
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Havana3am)
To partly answer my own question, having read further on the gov.uk site the GLS SJT is different to the Civil Service Judgment Test. With the GLS test you only have to choose the most and least effective action whereas with the Civil Service Judgment Test you have to rate all four actions as being very effective, somewhat effective, somewhat ineffective or completely ineffective.

I'm still unclear whether the SJT tests how strong your Civil Service Behaviours are or whether it's testing something different? :confused:
yes its very similar, i applied for a job through the civil service last week. I found them both difficult to be honest so not holding out much hope for either one lol
karikari95
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
can someone who has done the SJT confirm if you're able to come back to it, or whether it had to be completed in one sitting? also are you able to flick through it, going back to previous questions to review, or is it that once you select 'next' you can't go back? @Tanblob your intel here would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by karikari95; 4 weeks ago
karikari95
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I see Tanblob's account has been 'banned' eeek :/ ? If anyone can answer based off of their experience, that would be great?
(Original post by karikari95)
can someone who has done the SJT confirm if you're able to come back to it, or whether it had to be completed in one sitting? also are you able to flick through it, going back to previous questions to review, or is it that once you select 'next' you can't go back? @Tanblob your intel here would be greatly appreciated
grinchbob
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by karikari95)
I see Tanblob's account has been 'banned' eeek :/ ? If anyone can answer based off of their experience, that would be great?
You can complete it in as many sittings as you like, but once you have saved an answer to a question, you cannot scroll back. if you close down the SJT and then click the link again, it returns you to the point you had reached in the previous sitting.
Grimer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 123.Qwerty)

I applied at the end of last week and also immediately got the SJT (which I started). Today I too got the SJT trial e-mail which is pasted below:

------------------

Thank you for taking part in the design of the new Situational Judgement Test (SJT) for the Legal Trainee role. The SJT will be used as part of the assessment process for Trainee applicants and will assess how well candidates are able to judge a ‘real life’ Trainee situation and whether they are able to respond accordingly.

The GLP – in partnership with PeopleScout - have completed job analysis with current Trainees and Managers to understand the role in detail and have used that understanding to create the SJT questions.

We’d like your help in the next phase of testing before the SJT goes live. Your participation in this trial is key and will highlight which situations or questions from the bank are the best at predicting good performance in the role and therefore which should be included in the final test.

The below link has been assigned specifically to you and will log you directly into the online platform which will host all the questions. In total, the work will take <Strong>approximately 4.5 hours</Strong> to complete, but we’ve made this as flexible as possible in that you will be able to log in and out of the system using the below link as many times as you like. This means that you’ll be able to complete the work in small chunks of time around your usual workload.

You must ensure that you have completed all the questions by <Strong>Monday 27th April at 5PM.</Strong>

<LINK REMOVED>

If you have any issues with your completion, please contact [email protected]

Thank you again for your participation!

GLP & PeopleScout

------------------
I clicked on the link and it took me to my real SJT which I have already started!!! (that is why I have removed it from the paste above).

I would urge everybody who received the same to NOT click through on this link and alter any new answers because it will affect your actual SJT. It is clear that something major has gone wrong with this test. We were aware that tests were in any case not being sent and it was suggested that this was due to a test of eligibility. That is clearly not the case because many of us have been invited automatically and you can see which questions on the form automatically kick you out (e.g answer 'No' to the Civil Service Nationality question and your application will end there and then.

We have also heard of missing scores and duplicate scores. This e-mail and the way the link from a test system seems to be entangled with the live campaign adds more insight to the fact that some serious wires are crossed. I'm massively disappointed that the GLP has not communicated an update to candidates, but maybe they do not know?

I am going to e-mail in to raise the red flag on this an will update on the response as soon as I get it.
UKstarfleet
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Grimer)
I applied at the end of last week and also immediately got the SJT (which I started). Today I too got the SJT trial e-mail which is pasted below:

------------------

Thank you for taking part in the design of the new Situational Judgement Test (SJT) for the Legal Trainee role. The SJT will be used as part of the assessment process for Trainee applicants and will assess how well candidates are able to judge a ‘real life’ Trainee situation and whether they are able to respond accordingly.

The GLP – in partnership with PeopleScout - have completed job analysis with current Trainees and Managers to understand the role in detail and have used that understanding to create the SJT questions.

We’d like your help in the next phase of testing before the SJT goes live. Your participation in this trial is key and will highlight which situations or questions from the bank are the best at predicting good performance in the role and therefore which should be included in the final test.

The below link has been assigned specifically to you and will log you directly into the online platform which will host all the questions. In total, the work will take <Strong>approximately 4.5 hours</Strong> to complete, but we’ve made this as flexible as possible in that you will be able to log in and out of the system using the below link as many times as you like. This means that you’ll be able to complete the work in small chunks of time around your usual workload.

You must ensure that you have completed all the questions by <Strong>Monday 27th April at 5PM.</Strong>

<LINK REMOVED>

GLP & PeopleScout

------------------
I clicked on the link and it took me to my real SJT which I have already started!!! (that is why I have removed it from the paste above).

I would urge everybody who received the same to NOT click through on this link and alter any new answers because it will affect your actual SJT. It is clear that something major has gone wrong with this test. We were aware that tests were in any case not being sent and it was suggested that this was due to a test of eligibility. That is clearly not the case because many of us have been invited automatically and you can see which questions on the form automatically kick you out (e.g answer 'No' to the Civil Service Nationality question and your application will end there and then.

We have also heard of missing scores and duplicate scores. This e-mail and the way the link from a test system seems to be entangled with the live campaign adds more insight to the fact that some serious wires are crossed. I'm massively disappointed that the GLP has not communicated an update to candidates, but maybe they do not know?

I am going to e-mail in to raise the red flag on this an will update on the response as soon as I get it.
Your post is incredibly helpful......thank you. I think the GLP need to employ all of us in this thread, clearly we’re a team they need.
123.Qwerty
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Grimer)

------------------

<LINK REMOVED>

GLP & PeopleScout

------------------

Yes, i received the exact email!

Were you able to stop and come back to your SJT later btw? I do want to start it but just wondering if it needs completing in one sitting? I’m getting mixed answers!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (173)
24.5%
Better than expected (145)
20.54%
Worse than expected (388)
54.96%

Watched Threads