The Student Room Group

GLS (GLP) Training Contract applications (2020)

Scroll to see replies

What drama. All I want is a sensible response to a simple e-mail, but I think I've got a few more days to go on that score. In fairness, I think I now know all about the SJT, probably too much in fact.
First time applicant, I had no idea about all the controversy regarding the SJT.

Given everything that has gone on is anyone else wondering why they don't just use the Civil Service Judgement Test instead? :confused:
Original post by DavidHayton
What drama. All I want is a sensible response to a simple e-mail, but I think I've got a few more days to go on that score. In fairness, I think I now know all about the SJT, probably too much in fact.

I had no idea about this until after I’d completed it, knowing my luck I probably failed the SJT.
Can i apply if i just finished first year (law)?
Any applicants applying as disabled got the link to the SJT yet? I told them my extra time requirements after they asked for them saying they would send me the test soon but they didn't reply afterwards...
Reply 125
Original post by kp07l
Any applicants applying as disabled got the link to the SJT yet? I told them my extra time requirements after they asked for them saying they would send me the test soon but they didn't reply afterwards...

I think this may be one of the problem areas. I know a few people who've applied requesting reasonable adjustments (one of them on the first day) and none have yet receive dthe link.

One got a response today to one of several chasers asking him to email govtrainees to tell them his adjustments and to quote his candidate ID number - even though his ID number was on the email they sent him?? And he needed adjustments just for the timed tests.

Something is not adding up. It was a huge problem last year too.
Don't know if this has been asked already but did anyone receive a confirmation email once you completed the SJT?
Original post by ether1um
Can i apply if i just finished first year (law)?

I think you need to be at the end of your second year to be able to apply
Original post by Lostrider
I think you need to be at the end of your second year to be able to apply

I thought so too, considering the application form only has options for 2021 and 2022 intakes. However I got an email reply from them stating that I can apply at the beginning of the second year. I guess they're just confused
Original post by Grimer
I think this may be one of the problem areas. I know a few people who've applied requesting reasonable adjustments (one of them on the first day) and none have yet receive dthe link.

One got a response today to one of several chasers asking him to email govtrainees to tell them his adjustments and to quote his candidate ID number - even though his ID number was on the email they sent him?? And he needed adjustments just for the timed tests.

Something is not adding up. It was a huge problem last year too.

Yes, this is exactly what happened to me! On the actual application form itself, I obviously disclosed whether I had a disability and put in details, but they emailed me after I submitted it asking me the same thing (sending an email to govtrainees with my candidate ID number even though it was on the email). All I need is extra time so I don't know why they're taking so long to email considering the SJT is apparently untimed. Although I assumed I was sent the email because I passed to the next stage, since they haven't told us for sure whether we've even been accepted to sit the SJT it's hard to know whether we should use our time to prepare for it or do something else.

Bit annoying considering this means people who don't need extra adjustments/abled people are getting more time than us to complete the SJT!!!!
Original post by ether1um
I thought so too, considering the application form only has options for 2021 and 2022 intakes. However I got an email reply from them stating that I can apply at the beginning of the second year. I guess they're just confused

hahah seems that they're always confused! this time next year you could be applying and going through the same stress as us - something to look forward to
Original post by kp07l

The "how to apply" page on gov.uk says the SJT is not timed, so extra time shouldn't be a factor in this test. Or is this wrong?

According to the page the VRT and CRT are timed.
Original post by Havana3am
The "how to apply" page on gov.uk says the SJT is not timed, so extra time shouldn't be a factor in this test. Or is this wrong?

Having now sat this myself I can confirm that the SJT is not timed.
Well for my money this SJT is harder than the Civil Service Judgement Test used by the CPS and other Civil Service recruiters.

I didn't feel too uncomfortable picking what I felt was the most effective option but for a lot of the questions I struggled to distinguish the least effective option. I often found two of the options sounded equally ineffective.

Not at all sure how well that went! :confused::frown::confused:
Original post by Havana3am
Well for my money this SJT is harder than the Civil Service Judgement Test used by the CPS and other Civil Service recruiters.

I didn't feel too uncomfortable picking what I felt was the most effective option but for a lot of the questions I struggled to distinguish the least effective option. I often found two of the options sounded equally ineffective.

Not at all sure how well that went! :confused::frown::confused:

i've just logged in to do the SJT. It seems that they have split the questions to 'one question per screen'. With that, you can't access the next question without saving and submitting the answer for the present one. However once you do that, you can't go back.
IS that correct? double checking this is everyone's experience. i.e. although this test isn't timed, and you can log off and come back to it, you can't move onto the next question without permanently submitting the current question with no chance to go back and edit it?
Original post by karikari95
i've just logged in to do the SJT. It seems that they have split the questions to 'one question per screen'. With that, you can't access the next question without saving and submitting the answer for the present one. However once you do that, you can't go back.
IS that correct? double checking this is everyone's experience. i.e. although this test isn't timed, and you can log off and come back to it, you can't move onto the next question without permanently submitting the current question with no chance to go back and edit it?

Yes, sadly that is correct. Not as user friendly as the Civil Service Judgement Test in that regard.
Reply 136
Original post by kp07l
Yes, this is exactly what happened to me! On the actual application form itself, I obviously disclosed whether I had a disability and put in details, but they emailed me after I submitted it asking me the same thing (sending an email to govtrainees with my candidate ID number even though it was on the email). All I need is extra time so I don't know why they're taking so long to email considering the SJT is apparently untimed. Although I assumed I was sent the email because I passed to the next stage, since they haven't told us for sure whether we've even been accepted to sit the SJT it's hard to know whether we should use our time to prepare for it or do something else.

Bit annoying considering this means people who don't need extra adjustments/abled people are getting more time than us to complete the SJT!!!!

Yes is wholly unacceptable that many candidates requiring adjustments will receive 25-33% of the time allocated to those who don't need them - and that's assuming that they receive the link in the next few days. Arguably potentially discriminatory.

As far as reviewing the application forms is concerned, that is a huge red herring. In the form there are basic eligibility questions, which will kick you out of the process if you answer in a way that would make you ineligible.There is no review at all. You either pass through and are automatically sent the SJT or you ,are rejected.

It is clear that there has been a problem with the way that the application form has been built which has led to some people not receiving links. From what I can gather, they have known about this for some time but have probably not got to the bottom of why. It may be that one of the issues is that everybody requesting RAs was placed on hold. Another problem seems to be that the mainframe system and the Tazio system are not integrating correctly which is why scores have got muddled/missed.

This email is very bemusing though. If they know your ID number, why ask for it again? If people wanted RAs, they put the details on the application form as you have done? My guess is that candidate records have become corrupted and they are asking so that they can check that the candidate ID and adjustments you mention are the ones they have on the database.

It was always possible that candidates with certain disabilities (e.g. Asperger) may have sought adjustments (basically an alternative test) but that would be the exception. They wouldn't intentionally keep everyone on hold just on the off-chance that the odd person might want a different test that would be a headache/expensive to administer.

What worries me is how deep these errors run, particularly as they concern scores.
Reply 137
Original post by Lostrider
Don't know if this has been asked already but did anyone receive a confirmation email once you completed the SJT?

There isn't, just a screen message.The Tazio system is somewhat basic, but it's hardly a great candidate experience and probably leads to hundreds of unnecessary e-mails from concerned people who are stressed that their scores haven't been registered.

And those are on top of the e-mails that will be pouring in after 28th July from candidates who will be withdrawn for not completing the test when they have!
Original post by Grimer
Yes is wholly unacceptable that many candidates requiring adjustments will receive 25-33% of the time allocated to those who don't need them - and that's assuming that they receive the link in the next few days. Arguably potentially discriminatory.

As far as reviewing the application forms is concerned, that is a huge red herring. In the form there are basic eligibility questions, which will kick you out of the process if you answer in a way that would make you ineligible.There is no review at all. You either pass through and are automatically sent the SJT or you ,are rejected.

It is clear that there has been a problem with the way that the application form has been built which has led to some people not receiving links. From what I can gather, they have known about this for some time but have probably not got to the bottom of why. It may be that one of the issues is that everybody requesting RAs was placed on hold. Another problem seems to be that the mainframe system and the Tazio system are not integrating correctly which is why scores have got muddled/missed.

This email is very bemusing though. If they know your ID number, why ask for it again? If people wanted RAs, they put the details on the application form as you have done? My guess is that candidate records have become corrupted and they are asking so that they can check that the candidate ID and adjustments you mention are the ones they have on the database.

It was always possible that candidates with certain disabilities (e.g. Asperger) may have sought adjustments (basically an alternative test) but that would be the exception. They wouldn't intentionally keep everyone on hold just on the off-chance that the odd person might want a different test that would be a headache/expensive to administer.

What worries me is how deep these errors run, particularly as they concern scores.

As a disabled applicant I definitely do feel annoyed by the situation because I applied to the GLS because they made it appear it was a great application system for disabled people (GIS, etc)it's more being left in the dark that bothers me about all this. If they said they'd take a couple days to get back to us from the beginning it wouldn't be so bad.

Oh gosh I hope it isn't that bad!!! Unfortunately it does sound like something like that might have happened, I only hope it doesn't affect too many people....
Reply 139
Original post by kp07l
As a disabled applicant I definitely do feel annoyed by the situation because I applied to the GLS because they made it appear it was a great application system for disabled people (GIS, etc)it's more being left in the dark that bothers me about all this. If they said they'd take a couple days to get back to us from the beginning it wouldn't be so bad.

Oh gosh I hope it isn't that bad!!! Unfortunately it does sound like something like that might have happened, I only hope it doesn't affect too many people....

I agree. The process is great in theory, but the way candidates are treated is very poor.

As for the extent of the problems, I shudder to think what is going on. But I cannot imagine why that e-mail was sent, unless they've lost some key data........?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending